Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy period, as in really heavy!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy period, as in really heavy!!
    Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 6:57pm
After ruining several pairs of pants and Talia's therapist's couch, I am starting to get worried.   Those of you who got your periods back after chemo - what was your first period like?  Was it normal, or super heavy?  And how long after you finished chemo did it return?   I posted on this earlier, that yesterday I got my period for the first time since April 2008, a week after my first chemo.  Initially I was happy about it, but now I'm kind of worried.  My periods used to be fairly light, nothing like this torrent.  ???yikes????

-Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 7:55pm
Dear Denise,

somehow I feel comfortable enough to reply...I hope you don't mind...

Will my menstrual flow be different after chemotherapy?

Menstrual cycles vary from woman to woman.  Some women may experience less frequent cycles than they had prior to chemotherapy.  They may skip a period or increase the number of days between periods.  Other women may have more frequent periods.  Some women may not experience a change in the length of their menstrual cycles but the flow pattern may be different than it was before treatment (the number of days or amount of flow may diminish or the flow may be heavier).  Mixed patterns are also common: some women may have shorter menstrual cycles with heavier bleeding or infrequent cycles with many days of a very high flow. 

Even though periods tend to be irregular around the time of menopause, it is important to be aware of bleeding that is not normal for you.  It is very important to call your physician if you ever have very heavy bleeding that is associated with weakness or dizziness.

this is from http://www.chemocare.com/managing/menopause_chemotherapy.asp

sorry,Denise I can't post the link as 'hot'...I think the hyper-link above next to the Word symbol is messed up..

good luck,

Steve

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 8:32pm
Thanks, Steve.  I looked this up too, but am still worried, in part because the blood is bright red instead of the really dark stuff one would expect from a year and a half's worth of uterine lining.   It might be time to call in to a doctor's office.  Sigh.

Love, Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 8:52pm
Denise,

I'd definitely call your doc as it doesn't seem like a normal period.  Let us know how you're doing. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 10:58pm
Dear Denise
Please see your oncologist or obgyn right away.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 11:30pm
I posted on your other topic as well. My ob.gyn had me come in immediately the first several times and if I spotted, when my periods resumed. She wanted to do an ultrasound to double check things. I would call immediately.  Get their assessment.  
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 7:45am
denise,
are you on any blood thinning medications?  aspirin?

dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 10:47am
Thanks, you guys.  Unfortunately it's Saturday, but I'll see if I can get an appt.   Krisa, I take a daily baby aspirin and curcumin, but that's been true for some time.  Nothing else. 

My emotions are also all over the map.  Tears and hopelessness.

-Denise
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 11:07am
Dear Denise,

Please add something positive to your emotions, if you can, because you are surrounded by love from all of us here..

you have been, are, and will be in my prayers...

please try your best to have a decent weekend...and I am not minimizing what is going on....in fact if things get really crazy you probably should go to the emergency room. I am praying things will be manageable until you get to see the gyn.

love,

Steve

p.s. how about some old SNL videos?...Best of John Belushi, Dana Carvey, Jon Lovitz and my favorite Gilda Radner as Roseannerosannadana...she was right...she always said...."if it's not one thing it's another." how about some Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers?...elegance and grace that is sorely missed today....how about Planet Earth?....

yeah, yeah you get it....leave you be....I understand Smile

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 12:18pm
denise,   there are several reasons why your flow might be very heavy and probably none have anything to do with cancer.
fibroids?  a build up of the lining over the last year?, aspirin?, last hurrah before menopause?.

before menopause, i had some gushers.  i know your situation is different than mine, but just want to give a different perspective as to why the heavy flow.
take care.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 12:18pm
Denise,

I sense your distress in your post and feel so bad you are having such a hard time.

Please let us know what you find out.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 12:25pm
Dear Denise,

I am sorry I may have caused you panic in asking you to see your doc right away. The heavy red flow is very likely just your system reacting differently to the first period after a long time or it is peri-menopause.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Metoo3neg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metoo3neg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 1:38pm
Denise,

How old are  you?  Are you a sexually active woman?  Could you be having a miscarriage?  Fresh blood coming from the  uterus indicates that something is going on other than a belated menstrual period. Are  you in any pelvic pain? Lower back pain?  If it keeps bleeding In my opinion you need to go to the emergency room if you continue to lose blood at the rate you describe.

Marti
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 6:28pm
Hi, guys.  I think the flow may be slowing down some.  If I'm bleeding to death, it might take a while.  The depression, however, is gathering steam.  I feel like sh*t, sad an incapable of enjoying anything.  It's probably just a rotten day for me, triggered by whatever is going on with my hormones, but everything looks very dark.  My marriage, health, future.  Joel and I are having what feel like serious conflicts.  Talia, my youngest child, is having social problems in school.  She is so lonely, it is heartbreaking.  My mother's surgery is next week, and she is very depressed not to mention paranoid.  I am super susceptible to hormonal mood swings, as demonstrated most dramatically by the really awful postpartum depression I had after Talia was born.  I had one after Aviva was born too though it wasn't as bad.   Things will look brighter soon, I bet, but geez.  I have worked so hard to survive, like we all have.  Valued life so intensely.  Then a day like this and all the struggle seems pretty ironic.   Even out in the sun, swimming with the girls today in beautiful clear water, oh my sun-dappled dripping wet gorgeous healthy girls, and I couldn't really take it in for very long.  I was carrying the shadow with me, an old companion I haven't seen in full for a while, back breathing down my neck.  

Anyways, thanks for all the love and care.  I think I'll try to read or take a nap so I can muster something as close to joy as possible for the evening.  Halloween, trick or treating, which I usually love.

Have a good evening everyone.  May all your ghosts be friendly.

Love,
Denise

*Marti, I am a sexually active 45, but my husband has a vasectomy, so pregnancy is pretty much impossible.
rena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2009 at 7:01pm
Denise, I'm so sorry you're feeling so down. Don't underestimate the physical effect of losing blood. That could be adding to the lack of emotional energy you're feeling. You know what really struck me in your last post? Your concerns about Talia. I have just one child, a 24-year-old daughter who lives about 120 miles from me. She's had her emotional ups and downs over the years and is doing well now. But when she's unhappy, it's all I can do to be happy about anything. I was told by the doctor who prescribes my antidepressants that I have the worst boundaries of any parent he's ever seen in his practice. My claim to fame! (By the way, he exaggerates!!) As sad or "wrong" as it may be, I think there's truth in the statement that you're only as happy as your least happy child. So give yourself a hug, remind yourself that you are a wonderful, loving mother and that she is going to find her way and be all right. Then treat yourself to something nice--a bath, a book, a drink. Even if you don't feel excited about starting it, maybe you'll feel a little better by the time you finish. Sending hugs, Rena
Diagnosed 9/86. 1 cm tumor, 22 positive lymph nodes. CMFVP chemo, weekly for one year. 7 weeks radiation. BRCA2-positive. Multiple attempts at reconstruction (three's a charm)
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 10:49am
Well, I seem to have touched back down to earth, at least somewhat.  Wow, what a spin-out.  The bleeding has nearly slowed down to a normal period, and I no longer feel like adding the really scary decoration of hanging mommy to the front of my house.   Thank you so much for putting up with my flailing and for all the support.  I really appreciate it.  All the problems that seemed so huge are still there, still kind of overwhelming, but hopefully I won't have to add extreme depression to list, which makes dealing with anything seem impossible.

Love,
Denise

SusanE1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanE1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 11:59am
Dear Denise,  I have no experience with your problem, but it breaks my heart to hear of your tears and hopelessness.  You are such a wonderful inspiration to the rest of us.  I hope we can do the same for you now.  The only advice I can give you is, don't panic until you can see your doctor.  It could be any number of things not connected to cancer.
With affection and concern,
Susan

Susan 62 1987 Stage 1   1/09 Stage IV bilat. mast. liver mets BRCA1+ Taxol & Avastin
8/09 NED
12/09 liver mets Taxol/Avastin
4/10 liver mets
11/22 Parp Car/gem
parp failed
2/2011 Ixempra
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 3:29pm
glad things look better today. do call your obgyn tomorrow. Vaginal ultrasound if needed takes no time, no pain.
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 4:07pm
Hello Denise,

I as so happy that the darkness is lifting for you. I am glad that the flow is becoming more normal. Oh how frightening, and on top of so many other problems.

There probably is no comparing your situation and mine but, 20 years ago when I was having my last couple years of periods, they were doozies. I had such heavy flow that at times I had to go home from work, stay home from work, miss church or miss social outings. I kept a blanket in the back of my car all the time in the event that I needed it to keep from messing my car seat. I have had to change clothes two or three times in a day. I did finally have a D&C which helped. I also had what I referred to as "black moods".   

This was before I had breast cancer, but I wonder if it's possible you would have had heavy flow even if you never had cancer. Things got better once I quit having periods.

I hope your doctor can come up with a solution to this problem. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this.

Keep us posted.

I care about you,

Lillie

Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2015-9 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2009 at 4:42pm
Dear Denise,

I hope you're doing better today.  Maybe the heavy period is causing much of your depression, but please call your ob/gyn tomorrow.  I enjoy your posts and your sense of humor.  You have been such an inspiration to me and I pray that your days will start looking brighter.  Your plate is pretty full right now with breast cancer, young children, husband, mother and now your ovaries are working again. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic