FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbin in Hospice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 4:07pm
My deepest condolences to all of Harbin's family and friends. Harbin's journey touched all of us. Though it was clear she was losing her battle with this hideous disease, she soldiered on and remained positive to the end. Even though I have never met her, I found myself thinking about her often, hoping that she knew how much she was loved and appreciated. Harbin, may you finally rest in peace.

Thank you Steve for your updates about Harbin. I'm sure this has been hard for you, losing someone you care so very deeply for. You are a good man.

Respectfully,
Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 8:07pm
Dear all,

Still going to take a break for a bit but received further permission from Harbin's DH to mention the name of the hospice facility where Harbin received her care.

http://www.retirement.org/saratoga/accommodations/skilled-nursing-care/

From what I have been told it is quite difficult, in California, to find an in-patient hospice facility that is dedicated solely to in-patient hospice. Rather there are skilled nursing care facilities that have a specific area earmarked for in-patient hospice. 

warmly,

Steve

Edited by steve - Aug 14 2013 at 8:45pm
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2013 at 8:35pm
May the Peace that passeth understanding fill Harbin's family at this time.  She was a Special Lady.

Steve, Please take care of yourself. 

Love,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 1:29am
Dear Harbin and Family,
Such a great loss sorry is just not enough so vary saddened with your loss there are no words that I can contribute to you how I feel.Harbin it was an Honor to know you and may God grant you with you deserve and ever lasting life. I will never forget you my dear friend.
Love,
Denise
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes
Loveforlife View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 11:49am
I send my deepest sympathies to Harbin's family, and to Steve. Wishing you peace. Harbin - you obviously made a huge impact on so many people - may you rest peacefully and may all the love you gave come back to surround you now.

Laura
Dx 1/2011 2b, Gr 3, TNBC, AC/T chemo, L lumpectomy/re-excision/lymph node diss/rads. DX DCIS R Breast 4/2012 - Lumpectomy/Rads.
DX Lung Spine mets 5/2013 Carbo/Gemzar 10/2013 Xeloda 1/2014 Ixempra
arabella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arabella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2013 at 5:04pm
Oh, Steve...I am so saddened to read this.  

With her postings and never failing good attitude, Harbin has taught us all valuable lessons in dealing with this disease and how to look death in the face one moment at a time.  I believe that she is at peace at this very moment.

My condolences to her family and my condolences to you, Steve, and many thanks to you for keeping us posted.....I know your loss is deeply felt.  Take care.

With love,
Kaye  <3
Dx TNBC 1/2013; age 63; 1.1 cm; Stage 1, Grade 1(?); lumpectomy clear margins; ALND -; severe SEs to first TC and treatment stopped; radsX25; BRCA -
Recur 6/2015 Mastectomy
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 1:22am
So very sorry to hear of Harbins passing. Now she truely is pain free in all ways possible. Deepest sympathies to all of Harbins family.
Steve your a wonderfully supportive dear friend. 
Natalie
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
weekender09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekender09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2013 at 7:42pm
Sympathy and prayers to Harbin's family and to you Steve.  

Barb
02/12/13 DX TNBC, Grade III, Stage 3, 3.3cm tumor, IMN and 1 lymph Positive, Chemo A/C T complete 6/13
BRCA1-/BRCA2+ Variance, BIL 7/13, 33 RADS complete 10/13 Remssion :)
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 6:35pm
I saw this just before I left for a week but didn't have a chance to respond, at least not here (we talked about it in the FB group).     Harbin's death makes me feel so sad - for her, for her family, especially her daughter, and for us.   I was fortunate to know her in person.  Over the past 3 years we have met for coffee or lunch periodically, often with Steve.  She was one of the sweetest, most open-hearted people I've ever met, and a ferociously protective mother.   My desire that she be well, in collusion with her awesome strength and ability to bounce back from the precipice, lulled me into believing that she'd be one of those 20-year survivors with cancer that wouldn't go away but wouldn't kill her either.   It made me think there was time.  Specifically, that I had time to be a better friend to her.  I wish I had tried harder to spend time with her these last six months.  People on the periphery of a life, and then a death, can be left feeling bereft.  It's strange, and I know I'm not explaining it well.  I guess all I'm trying to say is that she was really special, and will be missed.  There was a lot to respect about her.    I hope her husband and kids can pick up the pieces with time, but I know it won't be easy.
Love to all,
d
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 10:49pm
My deepest sympathies to Harbin's wonderful family. She was obviously a very special person and will always be remembered here.

Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 11:11pm
Dear Denise,

Harbin treasured your friendship, as do I.

Be kind and gentle to yourself, dear friend.

with my love,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 12:39pm
Thanks, Steve.  I am so sorry I didn't get a chance to say goodbye.   I guess I'll say it now, for myself and in the off chance there is some way she might hear me from the great mystery beyond death.
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 7:56pm
I just got to catch up on all the posts, and was most saddened to read this.  I send my deepest condolences to Harbin's family in their loss of this beautiful wife and mother, and to all those that loved her and had her as a friend.  She will never be forgotten.  

Again, thank you Steve, for all you do for us, for all you have done for Harbin,and all the many that have crossed your path, for your strength and character, and for that huge heart you have in your chest.  

Hugs,
Linda
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
btstark2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btstark2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2013 at 11:12pm
Rest in eternal peace and sunshine, dear Harbin. 

Thank you Steve for keeping us connected with Harbin during her last months and for helping us to know her better.  Her humor and positive attitude were uplifting to all of us.

Beth
2008 Stg1 TNBC, LX, FEC+T, rads
2010 2.5cm tumor BRCA-, BMX,CMF
2011 LN mets, Gem/Carbo, surgery, rads
2012 lung mets, PI3Ki/taxo
2013 anti-PD-1
2014/15 Xeloda, IMMU-132, eribulin
Aug 2015 Keytruda
lisab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2013 at 8:35pm
My heart aches for Harbin and her family.  I thank God she passed in peace.  I prayed for her every night hoping that God might heal her.  I love you, Harbin, and will never forget you.  

Diagnosed June 2004. Lumpectomy and radiation. BRCA2+. PBM w/DIEP Recon March 2005. Mets in chest wall June 2007. Chemo (Gemzar and Carboplatin) with radiation completed January 2008 - 5+ years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic