FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What drug did you get for surgical analgesia?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What drug was used for pain relief during your surgery?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [33.33%]
4 [66.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
ds21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ds21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What drug did you get for surgical analgesia?
    Posted: May 28 2012 at 9:39am
A recent very interesting paper describes a relationship between the drugs used for surgical pain relief and the incidence of early recurrence of breast cancer.  Patients receiving ketorolac, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent (NSAID) had a dramatically lower incidence of early recurrence.

NSAID analgesic ketorolac used perioperatively may suppress early breast cancer relapse: particular relevance to triple negative subgroup.

Harvard School of Public Health, BLDG I, Rm 1311, 665 Huntington, Ave, Boston, MA, 02115, USA, michael.retsky@gmail.com.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22622810

Obviously, if this holds up as a general finding, it is very exciting.  A question for the group, if you have undergone surgery (either lumpectomy/BCT) or mastectomy, what drugs did you receive for intraoperative pain relief?  If you don't know/remember, it should be stated on you operation notes.  In filling out this survey, it would be helpful to know from you signature, how far out you are from surgery and if you have had a recurrence when it occurred.

Thank you,

David
Co-survivor
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 12:47pm
Hello David, Yes, I was given Toradol (Ketorolac) after the lumpectomy in Nov. 2008 and again after the Mastectomy for chronic cellulitis. I was not on it for long though both times...Thanks for the post...Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
tjm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2012 at 9:37pm
I had Toradol for pain control after my mastectomy on April 2, 2012.
On May 17, 2012, they found a new lesion in my left lung and I have
been restarted on chemotherapy.
I hope that it works for some. Every little bit helps!
Traci
Dx.6~30~11~TNBC,Stage 4 mets to lungs, BRAC neg,Since Aug.2011, Taxol & Avastin,NED 3~1~2012,4~2~12 Mastectomy,5~17~12 New lesion lung, Taxol & Avastin, New Hilar LN lesion,starting Gemzar & Carbo
majjers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote majjers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 1:52pm
Hi Traci ~ that is how I spell my name also!

Sorry you have to go through more chemo but Taxol/Avastin worked on my lung mets for several months and SE were kind of nasty but manageable. The biggest one for me was the nosebleeds but since you had it before, you probably know what you're in for.  Best wishes to you and prayers for NED!

Blessings,
Traci
dx 5/25/07, Stage 2A,TNGr3
DD 4 AC,4 Taxol
32 rads
BRCA 1&2 (-)
7/11 mets to lung; Too many lines of chemo to list! The saga continues but only GOD numbers my days!
tjm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 7:56pm

Traci, thanks for your good thoughts. And I have to agree with you, the nosebleeds are the worst. Some days only 1 and other days 2-3. I did get a 2 1/2 month break from them, so that part was nice.

Traci

Edited by tjm - May 30 2012 at 7:57pm
Dx.6~30~11~TNBC,Stage 4 mets to lungs, BRAC neg,Since Aug.2011, Taxol & Avastin,NED 3~1~2012,4~2~12 Mastectomy,5~17~12 New lesion lung, Taxol & Avastin, New Hilar LN lesion,starting Gemzar & Carbo
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 9:55pm
David,

Are you asking what drug we received during surgery?  I've never seen my operation notes.  How would we get a copy?

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 11:59pm
Hi David,

I had a mastectomy in 2011.
Intraoperative meds included: fentanyl and hydropmorphine (dilaudid-a shorter actinve morphine).
Interestingly (and glad to know), I was given IV hydrocortisone at the start of surgery.
I am about 1 1/4 year (15 months ) from surgery without recurrence.

After reading the article abstract, was thinking......wonder if anyone had NSAIDs for a chronic other
medical condition or used NSAIDs post operatively if that would have any effect on recurrence.......
wonder if there have been any studies looking at this. ( Know aspirin use has been looked at.)
Realize Ketorolac is a potent NSAID compared to the oral over the counter NSAIDs.
Ketorolac has several contraindications and side effects.
http://www.druglib.com/druginfo/toradol/indications_dosage/

Thank you for giving the article link.

Grateful for today................Judy

=====================================

Donna and All,

I found the anesthesia information from my medical record on the pages of the "anesthesia record".
Think most operative notes state something like.....anesthesia was given/induced by the
Anesthesia Service.   One needs to get the "Anesthesia record/notes" part of the chart to
see what intraoperative meds were given.
When one is requesting one's medical record/parts of the medical record, at some places
one needs to ask "As a patient, how do I get a free copy"?    Some places, the wording is:
request for my home medical record...... or request for record for continuation of my care...
.....etc.......different places have their own "magic" words to get a free copy.   Other places,
one only needs to say one is a patient.   Wise to call and ask first before making the request.

Grateful for today..................Judy     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic