FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Support for newly diagnosed:videos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support for newly diagnosed:videos
    Posted: Feb 20 2012 at 1:02pm
Hi,

Sharing what I thought were excellent videos from Dr. Massie, Psychiatrist at Sloane-Kettering on
Psychosocial support for breast cancer:
    How to ask for help.
    How to talk to friends.
    How to cope with depression.
    How to deal with spouse's emotions.
To me, it seems she has really listened to what breast cancer patients are saying and experiencing.
I did post this on TNBC Talk then thought it might be helpful to have it on the Welcome New
Members forum.

Link: http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adult/breast/multimedia/psychosocial-support-breast
(Takes several seconds to load and start)
If above link does not work, try:
    http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adult/breast/multimedia
          Psychosocial support is about the fourth from the bottom of various videos on page.

With caring and positive thoughts to all,

Grateful for today............Judy

Edited by Grateful for today - May 29 2012 at 6:07pm
Rondee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rondee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2012 at 2:29pm
Hi!
My name is Diana and i was diagnosed in August of 2011 with IDC and IDC in Situ of the left breast, grade 3, 9/9 of the notingham scale, stage 1.  I am Triple Negative!   Had double mastectomies in October of 2012 with skin sparing reconstructions using implants and alloderm.
Just finished my last chemo treatment on the 29 of march. 6 rounds of FEC, no Rads.
having some pain under the left implant and scheduled for MRI on the 11th of April.
This is not my first cancer, I had a resection of my small intestine for nuero endocrine cancer (carcinoid tumour) in 2005. 
I was also diagnosed with MS in 1995 and still doing ok, am still mobile, like to golf, walk, etc.
Feeling lost now that chemo is over!  Feel like I am on my own, but my body has betrayed me a few times and I don't feel safe.
I am 57, have two children and 4 grandaughters.  I live with my husband of 3 years and our dog, Dee Dee, a little Westie.
Thanks for taking the time for listening to me and I hope to ehar from you all soon!
Hugs
Diana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 1:10am
Hi Diana,

So sorry that I did not realize you posted on this thread back in March.

Just wanted to send some belated caring and positive thoughts.
Sounds like you have a lovely family....including 4 granddaughters.

Grateful for today................Judy
Linda11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 5:09pm
Hi, Judy,
I saw your email about the videos. They are great topics. I have not thought about my negative thoughts would impact my behavior to my family members and my friends. But I think they are now. I tried to get to the videos but I can hardly get through any of them. They skip a lot. Do you know if there is any particular set up needs to be done first ?  Thank you very much.

Linda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2012 at 6:18pm
Hi Linda,

Thanks for letting me know about the problem with the initial link.
Think it was working initially.....now seems only the 1st 2 parts will play.

Try this updated link:
http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adult/breast/multimedia
        Go Psychosocial support video....about the fourth from the bottom.

When I first went to the above link, I had to try twice to get the How to cope with depression to
   play without skipping.

If I test it now on this post, it may interfere with the link.
So, I will post this reply.......then will check to see if it is working or not.
If it is not working, I will try again.

Linda, please post again if the updated link is not working when you try to access it.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today.............Judy

addendum: Just checked the updated link......seems to be working for all 4 sections......
                          and hopefully it will stay working for all 4 this time with this updated link.

Edited by Grateful for today - May 29 2012 at 11:33pm
Linda11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 11:21am
Judy,
Thank you for your quick reply and the new links. I tried them, the first 3 worked better for me. But they did not finish at the end. The video will just terminate at some point of time toward the end of the video. The fourth one terminates pretty early. I don't know if this means these videos are being watched a lot. That would be a good thing. Because I do feel they are important topics that a breast cancer patient may find some day that we do need to understand how to cope with these issues.

I am going through the videos with whatever I can get now.

Linda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 12:56pm
Hi Linda and All,

There is a problem with the above mentioned videos at the MSKCC (Memorial Kettering Cancer Center)
site.
When I tried today to access the videos from the new link.....which I could do last night....... the
videos were skipping AGAIN today.
I called the Public Relations Dept at MSKCC. Public Relations said they would inform the multimedia
dept to look into the matter.   The videos where skipping for the public relations person.....so she said
it was obviously a problem at the originating MSKCC site.
No idea how long it will take to have any corrections/whatever made.
I plan to check the videos in about a week.......will post if working or if not working, will call MSKCC
again.

Hoping the skipping problem can be fixed as thought these videos on the topics addressed were
well done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 5:20pm
Hi Linda and All,

Just re-checked the videos.
The skipping problem MAY have been resolved.
Right now, videos playing without skipping.
Will check the videos in a week to be sure the fix was permanent.

Judy

6/19/12 Update: Videos working.
                                 If/ when you access this thread, you have problems with the videos,
                                    post on thread and when/if I notice, will call MSKCC again........
                                    or one may call MSKCC public relations about the videos at
                                    phone: 212-639-2000 and ask for Public Relations.     

Edited by Grateful for today - Jun 19 2012 at 3:00pm
Linda11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linda11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2012 at 7:21pm
Judy,
Thank you for the help and quick response.
Linda

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2012 at 12:17am

Hi,

There are always newly diagnosed members joining the forums.
Thought it might be helpful to "bump" this thread. ("bump"= bring thread to top of forum topics)
Link is for videos from Dr. Massie, Psychiatrist at Sloane-Kettering on
    How to ask for help.
    How to talk to friends.

Link: http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adult/breast/multimedia/psychosocial-support-breast
(Link takes several seconds to load and start.)

Grateful for today...........Judy
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2012 at 6:16pm
also, dont forget to look in the resource section of this site. There are printable tips and questions for a myriad of things, such as Q for your dr, what to expect from chemo and what to take with you as well as make up tips, [ how to apply eyebrows for one ] .
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:15am
Hi,

There are always newly diagnosed members joining the forums.
Thought it might be helpful to "bump" this thread. ("bump"= bring thread to top of forum topics)
Link is for videos from Dr. Massie, Psychiatrist at Sloane-Kettering on
    How to ask for help.
    How to talk to friends.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 1:41am

Bumping for new members.   See above post and link.

Grateful for today..........Judy
Rondee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rondee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2013 at 10:22am
Hi Judy!

Well! I am still here and as you say, Grateful for today!  I am not quite 15 month post surgery, and 9 months post chemo!  Still doing okay! Got to celebrate another birthday, spend a quiet Christmas with my husband and welcome in the New Year!
Having to have an angiogram soon due to complications from having carcinoid syndrome with the first cancer back in 2005.
Got to see my grandaughters 3 times in the past 6 months a they live in another province!  That was great!

Life is good!

Thanks and take care!

Diana

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2013 at 2:14am
Diana,

How nice to hear how many things you have done since you completed treatment.
Sorry to hear about the complications from your first cancer in 2005.
Positive thoughts being sent your way for your planned testing re: that.

Noticed in your March 2012 post that you have a history of MS (multiple sclerosis).
I google a lot for information and I remembered that there was a woman who also has MS and TNBC who
had a blog.     
I am neither recommending nor not recommending the following blog and book......as I have not read
them in their entirety. Since there is probably a very small group with MS and TNBC, I thought you
might like to know about them........again use your judgement on what's posted/written....separate
what is author's personal experience/thoughts from research based facts.
Blog at: http://www.annpietrangelo.com/about.php
               http://www.annpietrangelo.com/cancer_series.php
Book info at: http://www.annpietrangelo.com/books.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all,

If you have not seen the Sloan Kettering videos for emotional support for those with breast cancer,
you might like to check them out.
    How to ask for help.
    How to talk to friends.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 2:40pm
Bumping up for new members.

If you have not seen the Sloan Kettering videos for emotional support for those newly diagnosed
with breast cancer, you might like to check them out.
    How to ask for help.
    How to talk to friends.

(Link may take several seconds to load and start.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2013 at 6:55pm

Bumping up for new members.     See above post.

Grateful for today..............Judy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2013 at 11:01pm
Bumping up for new members.

If you have not seen the Sloan Kettering videos for emotional support for those newly diagnosed
with breast cancer, you might like to check them out.
    How to ask for help.
    How to talk to friends.

(Link may take several seconds to load and start.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic