FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Rash of TNBC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Rash of TNBC
    Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 12:41pm
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pass along a bit of information I learned today at my cancer clinic.  I had gone up for my bloodwork, seeing the Onc next week and while the nurse was flushing my port and drawing blood we proceeded to talk about TNBC and she told me that the oncology nurses there have been shocked at the recent "rash of triple negs" coming in for treatment!!! 

I asked her the average age group and she said 30's and 40's.  She did tell me she was trying to remember to remind them of this Foundation and forum. 

I was just thrown by this as this is a little rural clinic pulling in patients from the countryside, what is going on?  If it is happening here what is happening everywhere else?  Why is it getting so rampant or is there just more attention given to it now?  Are the medical staff even here in this rural area just getting more attuned to trip neg or what?

If it is awareness which I hope it is then things are starting to go in the right direction. 
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 12:59pm

Thanks Pam..

Something has been bothering me for the longest time....years and years ago women had a hysterectomy and their ovaries removed at the drop of the hat! My mother, every aunt, sister, female cousin have all had hysterectomies and ovaries removed in their 40s. My mother has been on Premarin for 42 years....I am the only one who did not have a hysterectomy in my family for dysfunctional uterine bleeding, just toughed it out waiting for menopause. 

I remember not even going on the birth control pill in my 40s for the bleeding  for "fear of breast cancer", would not take hormone replacement "for fear of breast cancer"... watching cysts in my breasts and ovaries for 30 years....I am wondering since hysterectomies are not done as routinely and I don't even know any women taking hormone replacement anymore...even though we are hormone receptor negative - is there something that happens because I am seeing more and more older women 50s and 60s with triple negative and no hormone therapy was used and no hysterectomy or ovaries removed.

I wonder how many women never had hysterectomies and were diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer?

Just wondering out loud.

COnnie

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 1:25pm
Me Connie,

I was diagnosed at 56, 12/02 the first time and didn't have a hyster until 12/06.  I did Prempro for years.

I still worry about any estrogen producing hormone because bc can always come back with a er+ pathology.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 12:09pm
Sorry, I'd have to be counted with the 60+ TNBCers who took Premarin for almost 30 years.

Oh well.........................go figure.  Wacko

Jessie  
IDC,Stage I,Grade 3,dx 4/06
dbl mast 5/06,
systemic MRSA post surgery
septic shock, heart attack
triple bypass 1/07
no chemo due to infections and heart issues
so far NED!
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 4:06pm
Connie,
Now you have me really thinking! (Can't you smell the wood burning?)Wink

My maternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer when she was 35. My mother had a hysterectomy when she was 38, I had a hystrectomy when I was 30, and Lori is dx with bc at age 45.

My mother took Premarin for years and years, I was on birth control for a few years. I took Premarin for I think 15 years, until they started linking it to bc. Lori never had hormone therapy. She felt she was starting to go through menopause before being dx. Lori had cysts all through her breasts, as do my other daughters.

Shall we start a poll, and what do we ask? Let me see if there is one already.
Nancy
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2008 at 4:14pm
I don't know Nancy....but my mom had 4 sisters...12 female cousins...just on my mother's side and then the second cousins...and everyone had their hysterectomies and ovaries out and were on hormone replacement in their 40s...I was the only one who did not have a hysterectomy, or took hormone replacement except I was the only one to have her tubes tied.

Another ponderable.

Connie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic