FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To shave or not to shave before surgery?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
booboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To shave or not to shave before surgery?
    Posted: Aug 15 2008 at 12:20pm
Okay....so I am eventually going to lose my hair. I go in for surgery on the 22nd and begin chemo a few weeks after.  So, should I go ahead and cut really short or even go as far as shaving it off now so I don't have to worry about fixing it all the time, which I probably won't feel like doing, anyway, or should I let my hair take it's own course??? I am one that typically does not have a hair out of place, not that it looks good or bad either way, but nonetheless, it is always fixed and sprayed, and gel'd up, etc. I have already bought an assormtnet of hats, scarves, dew rags, etc. and could get used to wearing them now and not worry about hair but some have told me to wait that I will feel better with it as long as I have it? What do you all think? Thanks....
Sincerely,Barb (booboo)
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 3:39am
Hi Barb,

Well women do it differently as losing their hair is usually pretty traumatic.
You sound like you are all prepared which will be a big help.
Some women cut their hair shorter if their hair is longer right before chemo and other's wait.  They handle it differently as I'm sure they will write and tell you.

I waited until my hair started coming out and then I shaved my head which is right around usually your second treatment depending on your meds.

I would say it is a personal choice.  If you have been told by your Doc that with your meds you will loose your hair then it would be your choice unless you wait til it does it on it's own. Whatever you would be most comfortable doing, good luck to you.

Edited by trip2 - Aug 16 2008 at 3:43am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
booboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 4:06am
Pam,
Thanks so much for your response and advice. I have a while before even my first treatment and my ONC doc said 100% I would lose my hair. I think I am ready for that because I know it will happen. Although, just last night I tried on hats and scarves and it alone was overwhelming to me so maybe I am NOT ready, but are we ever? I looked hideous.
Maybe you can help with another question....I am having the bilateral mastectomy and having the drains on I wondered what the easiest thing to wear home from the hospital will be?
Thanks again for any helpful tips!
Barb
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 4:38am
http://www.tlcdirect.org/subcategory/AmericanCancerSocietyPostSurgicalCamisole.html?

Barb, yes I can tell you what I was advised as I went thru this procedure last year.  The link above will give you one suggestion and these can be purchased from other places also.  It is a post-mastectomy cammi that you wear home with pockets to hold your drain bulbs.

Also another idea is to bring a loose type top (and bottom) with you to the hospital such as a scrub, jammie shirt, hubby's shirt, loose button front blouse, anything that won't put pressure on your chest and will give you room for your drain bulbs.

Wear these things around home too until you heal more and are ready for something else. 

Sounds like you might want to wait awhile on your hair until you are sure, there is no going back until it grows in!  You have time yet and I think you will know when it is time to do something.

This all is very overwhelming, so many things to think about and decide upon.  Try to take it a little slower if it would make you more comfortable, the other things will fall into place.

You will not look hideous!  All bc survivors look beautiful!!  It is just something you are not used to and it is hard.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2008 at 4:14pm

Dear Barb,

I cut my hair off before chemotherapy took it. I had no control over anything...but I decided when my hair was going to make a bird nest somewhere!

Just my opinion

Connie

jody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2010 at 2:36pm
I had long hair and felt tramatized by the thought of chunks of really long hair coming out of my head...so since I was going to loose my hair anyway, I decided to cut my hair before chemo into a haircut that I would NEVER have tried if it werent going to be that I was going to loose it anyway.  I ended up liking the idea of seeing how I would look in a COMPLETELY different style.  I ended up liking it and was able to keep it that way for several weeks...When I did start loosing my hair it wasnt as tramatic because the strands werent long.  When it REALLY started coming out alot, I had my husband shave my  head.

F.Y.I. If you want to try to look at the bright side( if there is a bright side...I save probably 45 minutes a day because there was no hair to mess with...iy was kinda nice to have a break from dealing with alot of hair, and going thru the summer with no hair kept me ALOT cooler in this California sun.   Good Luck to you!
diagnosed 4/16/08 stage 1, node neg TN grade 3,lumpectomy 4/30/08 chemo a/c 6 rnds, finished 9/08. Radiation begins 11/6/08       La Verne, California
Bubbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2010 at 11:00pm
I am so glad I shaved off  my hair. I was more fearful of losing my hair than my breast (which I didn't have to lose afterall).  After the second chemo my hair started falling out in clumps and I felt so not in control, so being able to decide to take control of something in my life was a nice thing.  Today I just created a blog (VERY BEGINNERISH) www.conqueringtnbc.blogspot.com to help me lose my weight.  The first thing my children will see is my BALDNESS : )!
TNBC/StageI/ Lymph nodes negative/Lumpectomy/1.5 cm tumor/ 46 years old
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 12:48am
Bubbles,

I love your new blog and attitude!  Keep goingSmile
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2010 at 2:17am
Enjoyed your blog!  I cut my hair shorter before chemo.  I waited til it started to come out and then shaved it.  It wasn't as traumatic as I feared.  It's just hair and it grows back!  Keep up the good work.

dx 6/09 age 64, stage 2, grade 3, 4 cm tumor, 0 nodes
7/09 left mastectomy, AC x4, Taxol x7, Gall Bladder surg 1/10, no more chemo due to being off so long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic