FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weekly Adriamycin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weekly Adriamycin
    Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 3:47pm
I have a question that is really odd to me. Hopefully someone has an answer.

In regards to the neoadjuvant setting, instead of 4 cycles of A/C (60 mg of adriamycin every three weeks) my mom has been receiving weekly low dose, I think about 20mg. Has anyone ever heard of this? Although she's been eventually receiving the full dosage of 4 cycles (which is about 240mg), I haven't seen any trial supporting this protocol of dividing adriamycin to a weekly dosage (except for the metastatic setting). I'm afraid there is an efficacy difference when compared to the standard protocol..

Thoughts?
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 1:44am
When I was given my chemo options in 2011, one option was to participate in a clinical trial getting weekly lower doses of Adriamycin rather than 4 cycles of higher doses. The theory was that lower doses every week would be just as effective but have less side effects and lower risk for heart damage. Weekly wasn't a viable option for me because I was a busy working mom and did not want so much added time at the hospital. But maybe that clinical trial proved effective. I recommend you ask your mom's doctor what the statistics are for one vs. the other.
rstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 11:00am
Thank u for your response. We're going to see her only in about a month so in the mean time I was trying to get some answers online. I was looking for that trial and still wasn't able to find anything online supporting this
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2017 at 12:54pm
Rstar,

I could only find some old articles referencing weekly Adriamycin.  It seems to be an option to reduce toxicity concerns.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

rstar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2017 at 1:19pm
Thank you Donna.

I happened to ask the oncologist yesterday and she said that technically it can be divided but it's only acceptable to do so in the metastatic setting where the treatment is done for a longer period of time, and the goal is to maintain a good quality of life as well as avoiding heart damage. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic