FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo on Monday - what to eat prior

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo on Monday - what to eat prior
    Posted: Jan 20 2017 at 2:36pm
Hi

I am heading into chemo on Monday and am not sure what to eat before I go.  I picked up my rx of dexamethasone (4mg) and start those on Sunday.  When I call my oncologist office to get some advice on my diet the day of chemo they said "just eat as normal".  Honestly, they are so blazay about everything (like we have cancer every day and know what to do).  I am the person that was told "expect to gain weight during chemo" and was so upset I couldn't see past that statement.  I have worked hard to maintain my figure into my mid 50's and felt that statement about the weight gain was almost as bad as my diagnosis of breast cancer (I know it's not, but it felt like it to me at the time). Many of you helped calm my fears that weight gain is not an absolute (and for that I am truly grateful).  So, any suggestions on what to eat or avoid is appreciated as my doctor's office clearly has no advice. 

P.S. if this post seems negative, I am sorry - I am just getting really nervous walking into chemo and the fact that everyone says "it is different for everybody" doesn't help me mentally prepare for what is next.  So I am fearful (and not trying to be negative)

Thanks Penny 
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

luzmia View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote luzmia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 20 2017 at 7:25pm
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">Hi Penny I hear your fear -My sister's MO also did not make any recommendations on her diet during   chemo or after treatment at all - since everybody reacts different to chemo, I think it would be a good idea for you to see how your body feels during the first few days, but I would suggest to eat a light breakfast,  drink lots of iced water during your chemo and after- eat lots of vegetables, my sister could not eat anything greasy at all.  She had vegi soups and oat meal with fruit- small portions during the day. Try to eat as clean as possible and healthy.  Drink lots of water and carrot juice.  Stay way from sugar and processed food as much as possible.  
love and health for all.

Edited by luzmia - Jan 20 2017 at 7:33pm
Warrior31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Warrior31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2017 at 6:26pm
Hi Penny,

I totally understand how you feel - walking into the unknown is so stressful! I tend to agree with your oncologist who says to eat as normal - not more, not less, eat what makes you feel good! Some people say, however, to avoid the foods you really love during chemo because you might develop an aversion to them. That didn't happen to me, although there is one chicken soup recipe that I haven't been able to have almost a year out because I associate it with being sick (I would eat it when I had nausea). I also drank A LOT of water because I just normally do, and my chemo nurse said it might have helped with dealing with some of the side effects. 

Listen to your body and to your needs. If you feel like eating healthy, do so, but don't feel stressed out if you're not eating superfoods at every meal! The days after AC chemo I would have almost a pound of bacon per day for breakfast, eggs, poutine, so much junk food because that's all that made me feel good. The important thing to remember is that you have to eat something, anything because your body will need the energy to rebuild itself. 

Another thing that can be helpful dealing with side effects is to exercise, even on chemo days. I would go for runs on Taxol days and cycle (stationary) on AC days (when I felt well enough). I was told it helps the body deal with the toxins and breakdown products. Anyway, who knows, but I think it helped me physically and mentally!

I don't know if it will help you but my mantra during this whole ordeal has been "Don't worry, nothing's under control". It helped me keep calm, not stress about everything that was out of my control, and approach treatment confidently. Whatever happens, your team will be there for you and you can find help here too.

Finally, I bought this cooking book before treatment. I can't remember doing many of the recipes but they are a good guide as to what foods could be good to help deal with certain side effects: 

The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery

Good luck Monday. Don't hesitate to post here again if anything. I'm sure everything will go well!

Dx at 31 yrs-old 06/03/15; left IDC 1.6 cm; Chemo 28/04/15: 12 weekly Taxol then 4 AC; Lx with SNB 24/11/15; no PCR: 3 mm residual; 20 Rads 20/01-17/02/16. 8 cycles of Capecitabine started 04/01/16.
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2017 at 5:59pm
So, I had my 1st chemo yesterday and I had a severe reaction to the Taxotere drug.  I am on the CT protocol.  I experienced anaphylactic shock.  About 5 minutes into the bag, my arms and legs became very cold and then I turned purple and everything started shutting down.  The nurses and doctors came running, piggy backed the infusion with coricosteriod and something called pepcid (?).  It took about 10 min to regulated everything.  Very scary.  Has this happened to anyone else?  I am worried because I feel like since this first initial infusion went so wrong, I will have high sensitivity and severe reactions to the chemo protocol I have committed to.  I have also read that some people go on Taxol and my OM did not say anything about that to me when he provided my protocol.  Just 4 cycles every 21 days of CT, the radiation.  

On the good news front, my BRCA1/2 came back negative!  So, I am thrilled by this.  But now I am worried about having a chemo battle due to the strong reaction to the first infusion.  Any advise is really appreciated.  

Thanks, Penny 
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic