FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are the chances?....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the chances?....
    Posted: Aug 25 2016 at 10:25pm
Well, I'm a 3 year survivor! I went into menopause the first round of chemo. Three days ago, almost 3 years to the day, I started spotting, and by morning I felt like I had a full blown cycle....it hasn't stopped. The doctor wants me to come in as she thinks it could be a cyst, but will do an ultrasound to be sure......just crazy out of the blue. I don't have any other symptoms and feel fine. The only thing I've noticed is that I have been gaining a little weight in my stomach area.   I'm not worried at this point as I couldn't get an appointment until next Thursday, but what I a, concerned about is, if it continues, could I become anemic and if so, what do I do about it ? Any advice would be much appreciated. Oh, I almost forgot. I had the BRCA test done at diagnosis and was told I do not have the gene.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
Lumpectomy 6/13 (cancer cells left behind)
Chemo 7/13-11/13 (TAC) No rads
BMX 12/13 Reconstruction 3/13
NED since 6/13

gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 5:39pm
brownie: I'm surprise no women responded to you . My wife was undergoing menopause in 2008 when she had chemo. She didn't have her period 3 years later, or to this day.I'm sure women have periods come back. I'm no expert.

I'm not sure why your doctor thinks you have a cyst, and this is the cause for bleeding.
I'm sure they want to investigate. They think a cyst without imaging ?

I think your main concern from bleeding is you could become anemic. I think spot bleeding until you see a doctor is not any worry to become anemic, but I'm no expert, as a husband, any excessive continuous bleeding , I would not wait until next Thursday for an appointment,  I'd be on the phone.

My wife  also tested negative for BRAC gene, and 7 others.
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 7:14pm
Thanks for replying, gordon15.
Yes, I'm 42 and had "chemo-induced menopause" (at least that's what they told me). When the nurse called me, she said there was no way it was my cycle returning. Said my doc thought small cyst may have ruptdured, but I told her it was heavy enough that I am now wearing 3 tampons per day. Just trying to hold out til Thursday, since that was the earliest they could work me in...

I'm not a big gal. Up until 2.5 weeks ago, I was 124lbs, and it seemed like over night I gained 10lbs just in my gut...like I have a beer belly and I don't drink at all. I'm 5'5" so it is noticeable in all my clothes...I don't have any pain. Just wantto know soon what this is.

I'm hoping someone with similar symptoms will reply before then.

Thanks again for taking time to reply.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 7:31pm
Brownie: My wife was 58 when she had her first breast cancer, she never had her "period" after that, it was a time she was going to menopause, and perhaps it was complicated because she had to start taking arimidex, which she did for (5) years ...she's 65 yrs old now...

Maybe some women can respond to your excessive bleeding, if it is that.

weight fluctuations  can vary, my wife has become bloated during the numerous stages of her therapies,

she still has IBS, because she had several stages of chemotherapy, my wife says "I can deal with it... it thins the intestinal membrane", so hop you get some other feedback from this forum. G

wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
Tamara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2016 at 9:05pm
Brownie,
I was 48 at diagnosis and also experienced chemo induced menopause. Finished chemo in October '14 and still experiencing night sweats, hot flashes and weight gain. Period never returned.
Sorry I don't have any answers to help you - one week after chemo I experienced extremely heavy bleeding that lasted about nine days but no anemia. That was the last period I had.
Prayers are with you,
Tamara
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2016 at 12:22am
Brownie,

I'm sorry but my experience has been different.  I was 49 at dx and chemo put me into menopause.  I was tested about a year later and full blown menopause. Maybe if I was younger at dx, I would be like you.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2016 at 4:14pm
I will post again after my visit. Maybe it will help someone else.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

TriplePositiveGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2016 at 6:56pm
Hi Brownie,

At age 42 - its possible your period has returned. I was 47 at diagnosis and my periods stopped after the first chemo cycle, but then they came back after 6 months. It did not go on for long - about 4 months after that it stopped again - never to return. I did feel really bloated during that period of time however - more than normal.

Are you taking any estrogen for menopausal symptoms? Sometimes that can cause your period to start up again.

Best Wishes,
Lisa
Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2016 at 8:20pm
Hi Lisa,

I spotted once since the chemo induced menopause and that was last October. It was then they checked my FSH levels and said that they were 78.7. I have not done anything else since then until now.  Even when I was having a normal cycle, I never bloated for this long (3 weeks now).  I fasted today, with exception of a few cooked carrots at dinner, and I feel like I am bloated to the point that I look like I am 5 months pregnant.  Like I said in a previous post, I am a lean person, so it is very noticeable and quite uncomfortable. I am just ready for some answers. Waiting seems to be one of the hardest parts.....

I do not take any medications except vitamins that I have been taking since completing chemo back in 2013. 

I will definitely post my results when we come to some sort of conclusion as to what this is. 

Praying it's a one time fluke!

DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2016 at 10:01pm
If it gets worse by tomorrow I'd call the Dr.s office and say it's an emergency. I had one period th e first week after AC then nothing. Still have hot flashes.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 9:04am
I called this morning. It stopped yesterday afternoon, and no signs as of this morning. I do not know if they are just wrong as far as menopause is concerned and I may be just starting my cycle again after 3 glorious years without it....I hate to waste a trip to the doctor and pay for testing I don't NEED if it that indeed what it is....When you don't have the funds, it makes a big difference...Waiting to see what the nurse says when she calls.

Thanks for all the replies.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 12:49pm
Brownie -

At age 42, I would guess that it is always possible your periods could resume again if your hormone levels were high enough. Our bodies are all very different and there is no one right answer for all. How are you feeling overall? Did the bloating subside? Do you have any other symptoms that are out of the ordinary? How long did this "period" last? Maybe they will instruct you to wait til next month and see if it returns again. 

Good luck and let us know!

Diagnosed Jan 2010; Stage IIa, grade 2, 3.2cm in rt. breast, no nodes and BRCA-. 4 cycles Carbo/Gemzar 3/10; Lump 6/10; 2 cycles carbo/gem after surgery 8/10; 35 Rads finished 12/1/10. NED.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 6:27pm
When was your last pap smear? If it's been over a year you need that at least. You could get that done at planned parenthood for cheap.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2016 at 7:13pm
Last pap smear was in December. The nurse said they still want me to come in. I guess I will just go and see what they say. I'm still bloated, but it isn't more than what it has been. I have some lower back pain, but that could be from swinging a golf club wrong last week.

I will post an update tomorrow.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2016 at 1:37pm
Well, I have just gotten back from my appointment. I had a trans-vaginal ultrasound done. Although everything looked ok on the ultrasound, the doctor said my endometrial lining was thickening (should be 5-6 mm, and it was 12 mm). She was not concerned, but wanted to do a biopsy to be on the safe side (that was not comfortable at all..) She also drew blood to check my thyroid, and FSH levels again.  I should have the blood test results by tomorrow, and the biopsy results in a couple weeks or earlier.

Thanks for all the encouragement and information so far.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

brownie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 7:54am
No signs of malignancy on the biopsy! PTL!!! I was told to report if any other bleeding occurs. Thanks for the replies everyone.
DX 6/13 age 39, IDC-TNBC
ST1, 1.5cm BRCA-
NED since 6/13

Tamara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2016 at 8:55pm
GREAT news and such a great relief!
God bless,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriplePositiveGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2016 at 12:20pm
That is great news Brownie. What a relief :)

Lisa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic