FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiation & Antioxidants

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rosewater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radiation & Antioxidants
    Posted: Dec 06 2014 at 1:21pm
Hi there,

I started my radiation this past week and have some concerns about antioxidants & other supplements. I've heard not to take antioxidant supplements, so I'm not taking those, but I get so paranoid when it comes to this stuff. I've been drinking green juices & smoothies daily, a mushroom supplement (Turkey Tail & a mix of mushrooms (chaga, rishi etc.)), ground flax seeds, an omega 3 supplement, an 81mg aspirin a day, and my usual calcium and vitamin D.

Has anyone heard of whether or not any of these are NOT good to take while doing their radiation?? I didn't take most of these while on chemo (mainly only my calcium & vitamin D during that time).

Thank you so much!
Rosewater (Natasha)
DX IDC TNBC 03/14 age 40, Stage 1, Grade 3, 2cm, 0/4Nodes, lumpectomy 04/14, DD A/C x4, Taxol x12, Carboplatin x2, BMX 10/14, rads x28 Finished Jan 14/15, Oopherectomy Jan 29/15 BRCA 2+
lilyrose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2014 at 9:01pm
Hi Rosewater,
My RO asked me not to take any antioxidant supplements during rads. He said to eat healthy and keep myself hydrated. He said eating foods with antioxidants was fine as long as I didn't add supplements. My last day of treatment, he told me to go back to my regular supplements. I'm on a B complex, calcium, magnesium, D3, potassium and low dose aspirin. He said that the D3 is extremely important.
He explained to me his reasons at the beginning of rads, but I honestly cannot remember them. I'm sure each Dr has their own thoughts on this subject.
Hope you are doing well, hugs, lilyrose
DX 2/14, age 60, IDC TNBC BRCA- Stage 1,Grade 3, lumpectomy 3/14, 2cm, 0/4 nodes, clear margins

4/14, A/C DD 4rounds
6/14 Taxol weekly x 12
9/25 Rads 26 + 8 boosts
Sharon E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2014 at 8:04am
I was told no antioxidant supplements during rads because the antioxidants make the rads less effective.  Be sure to ask your radiologist and stick to what they say.  You will want the best results.  You can go back on your antioxidant supplements afterward, however, getting them from real foods is best.  I just started exploring raw foods as a way to get more veggies into my diet.  While I don't think I can go full raw diet, I am going to try to do breakfast and lunch that way.  Anyone else doing this?
3/12 Stg2b TNBC, IDC, Grade 3, age 49, 3 nodes, BRCA-,4/12-8/12 AC/T, 9/12 MBX no rads
10/14 Recur chest, BM, biopsy removed tumors, Gem/Carb 4,1/15, NED 1/15, Rads, 7/15 BM, Gem/Carb 4
rosewater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2014 at 10:52pm
Thanks for responding Lilyrose & Sharon.
I just met with my oncologist today and he reiterated what you both said above. He said no to Omega 3's and daily aspirin until later in January once I'm finished with my radiation. He also mentioned trying to get most of my antioxidants from food - which sounds good to me. Once I'm done treatment, I will be eating lots of antioxidant rich foods, as I eat a very healthy diet for the most part. I don't think I'll ever go full raw diet, as from what I understand, there are a number of foods which change for the better once they're cooked (i.e tomatoes), though I know there are also others that are healthier raw (i.e crushed garlic).
DX IDC TNBC 03/14 age 40, Stage 1, Grade 3, 2cm, 0/4Nodes, lumpectomy 04/14, DD A/C x4, Taxol x12, Carboplatin x2, BMX 10/14, rads x28 Finished Jan 14/15, Oopherectomy Jan 29/15 BRCA 2+
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2014 at 11:13pm
Don't laugh, but when I was undergoing the radiation I had a bit of a blowup with the nutritionist about the antioxidant supplements and she and I agreed to disagree. But I took her direction and didn't take the supplements but since I had to drive 7+ hours each day to get to radiation and then come home to work I ended up eating about 3 lbs of cherries, then strawberries, then blueberries a day plus liquid Vit B's.

It was that danged organic farm that I had to drive by both coming and going and their fruit was really good all summer long. BUT, for what it's worth and I have no idea the impact, my side effects were pretty much nil and the oncologist said that I was in the top 5% of patients of who were able to get through treatment with minimal problems.

I'm a big believer in getting nutrients from good food but I also heavily dosed on the Vit D3 before, during and after treatment. I think I was doing 8,000 IU a day. So who knows if one thing made a difference or not, but lots of fresh fruit and the D3 with a swig a day of the high power Vit B seemed to be the magic formula for me.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic