FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems after chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmwhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmwhope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems after chemo
    Posted: Sep 08 2014 at 11:50pm
Hi There,
       I received my last Taxol 2 weeks ago and I was hoping the effects would start to diminish but my feet are still moderately numb and now in the last few days both my feet and ankles are swelling. I have sent a message to my onc nurse but was wondering how long after you finish treatment do the symptoms go away and I also have several fingernails that are so sore and may possibly have fungus so I have been using the tea tree oil some of you talked about for weeks but they still seem horrible?? Also I read some people used B12 to help with the neuropathy?? Any suggestions or information greatly appreciated..thanks ,Kathy

age 58 dx Feb14 stage 1A grade 3/ had lumpectomy Mar14 1.8 clear margins no nodes// involved..4 AC/12 Taxol//Brac neg
philly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2014 at 2:42pm
I am this week 1 year from completion of chemo -- 4 A/C and 4 Taxol every other week.  Still suffering from neuropathy in feet and am on Neurontin for that.  I can definitely see very slow improvement, but it is still there.  Have begun to lose hope that it will every completely resolve.  No continued feet swelling, but did have chemo-induced deep vein thrombosis in one leg that caused severe foot pain and swelling which resolved with six months of daily Lovenox injections.  My onc recommended vitamin B6 for neuropathy.  I still take it, but cannot say that it helped.  Nails (fingers and toes) feel like they took a long time to get better, but in the scheme of things, it was probably 3-4 months.  Good luck!
CrunchyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrunchyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2014 at 3:04pm
It will diminish, I am 4 months out and the numb toes are much less, only at night, and the listerine and vicks vapor rub on the nails a couple times a day healed mine in about 2 weeks. The psychological effects are another story :/
3cm in left 31yrs 4 Red devil, 12 taxol, neg nodes, surgery July 2014. Tumors shrunk by 1cm all negative. Now cancer Free!
kmwhope View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmwhope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2014 at 3:55pm
Thanks for the information ladies..what do you do with the Listerine and Vicks...I had not heard about that..I saw my ONC DR yesterday and she said be patient it takes time and don't get discouraged...although my nails are horrible and both feet and ankles are very swollen after I'm on my feet for an hour..I'm trying to stay positive and push thru..God Bless..Kathy
age 58 dx Feb14 stage 1A grade 3/ had lumpectomy Mar14 1.8 clear margins no nodes// involved..4 AC/12 Taxol//Brac neg
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2014 at 9:14pm
Actually I did the vicks thing too with nails looking funky.
I read a good article on it. 
I file the top surfaces of my toe nailswith an emory board scratching it up real well (to make it pourous for absorbtion).
Put a bandaid over it with a sock on at night.
During hte day I put my feet in a foot bath with regular white vinegar (I bought gallons LOL)
It does get better, hang in there. It will start to happen soon for ya.
Natalie
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic