FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radiation After BMX Node Negative

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Fighting Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fighting Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2018 at 10:26pm
Hi Gigi,

I don't frequent the board much these days but I was I saw the email that someone posted and I wanted to respond to you.
I did not end up getting radiation. I was stage 2A...I had chemo, bmx and lucky enough to get a PCR. I was geared to do the radiation... the docs all planned for it but after my pcr and being node negative my plan changed. I was so upset. I thought I needed it. I sent my case to the tumor board at Dana- Faber and they came back with a unanimous no. But still I pushed and got a second opinion at MGH...again they said no. The general rule I guess are if you have node involvement then you get rads (regardless of a pcr).
For me a lot had to do with my age. I was 30 at the time and they felt rads would do more harm then good.... I was scared and upset but I ended it there. I prayed what I did was enough. I still hope it was. I'm 3 years out. So far, so good :) I'm still scared I didn't do enough but I've moved forward. You have to make a choice and then live. You are in the thick of it but someday you won't be. Do what you need to do and make peace with that decision. Good luck to you <3
Gigi123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigi123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2018 at 8:17pm
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I do not mean to sound stupid but what is pcr? My surgeon and oncologist are very confident with no radiation but of course the radiation oncologist says yes. I was feeling good with no radiation but when realizing my last chemo I started second guessing myself. I am kind of scared to go from 7 months of fighting this cancer to doing nothing.
MJK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2018 at 7:12pm
I had the bmx,completely clear before and after surgery.12 rounds of Taxol did the job.Having radiation to clean up any cancer cells not detectable.I was told it was a grey area and my decision: My surgeon said watch it/ the rad Dr said it was my decision but if it was his wife,yes/ My onc said I should do it. 3 opinions but left up to me. I have lost my hair,breasts and the year fighting this...I choose to go all the way with this fight.No problem with the radiation. No regrets of not giving this my all. That was my decision I had to make. So many,too many of my friends with cancer.Love them all for sharing their experience and hope with me. Radiation was a easy one for them,giving me strength to go for it. Hope this helps in your decision.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic