New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My radiation journey starts (path report included)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My radiation journey starts (path report included)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tracyinva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tracyinva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My radiation journey starts (path report included)
    Posted: Oct 28 2013 at 9:57pm
I got my pathology back today. It came back confusing to me in some aspects. He went over it with me some news. He took a total of 7 nodes and all came back negative with clean margins also. There was a tiny amount of cancer left over. Am I supposed to assume the radiation is going to clear that up. My breast surgeon thought he did such a good job for the amount of tissue he photographed my breasts and then called in his head nurse to check them out. He said I could start radiation anytime and I healed well. I told him I don't feel normal. He said with all the sedation and chemo my body should feel normal or back to somewhat better state around Thanksgiving.  He said I am good to go on radiation anytime. 

Can anyone give me some tips on radiation? They said it would make me really tired. My next oncologist appt is not until nov 9th but I just want the referral so I can start the radiation and get it over with. I will know tomorrow if I can get it moved up.
Diagnosed 4/29
Lymph nodes clear on MRI on 5/20
2x2 statge 1 or 11A
AC and T 6/9 - 9/13
final mri- no lymph 4mm or less residual
Lump right side on 10/16
7 nodes taken - all clear - clean margins

Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2013 at 7:10am
Hi, Tracy,
Seven negative nodes and clean margins is GOOD!  The "tiny amount of cancer left over" was removed with the tissue taken during the lumpectomy.  The radiation is needed to kill any stray cells in order to prevent a local recurrence.  I found radiation to be very easy after chemo--a little fatigue, but that was about all.  I used Aquaphor when my skin got a little red and made sure my shower water was only lukewarm.  I remember I was told to use deodorant that did not contain aluminum.  As far as feeling normal again, that will take awhile, but you'll get there.  Best of luck!
Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
weekender09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weekender09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2013 at 8:06pm
Tracy:
Ahhh We meet again Grasshopper. LOL

Best description of Radiology Vs Chemo was from my RAD Onc.  He said Chemo is the broom that sweeps out the cancer cells and Radiation is the mop that gets what the broom missed.  

Things to know or prepare for: 
Radiation is much better than chemo. 
The tiredness varies just like chemo.  I didn't get super tired until the last two weeks. 
Buy stock in the petroleum company (the daily drive was the exhausting part)
The clinic will give you the lotions and creams you need but be your own advocate if they are not working and demand something stronger. 

It really is the easiest part of this journey but the most time consuming.  I never missed work because of side effects but did take a nap if needed.  :)

Good luck with phase 3. 

Barb
02/12/13 DX TNBC, Grade III, Stage 3, 3.3cm tumor, IMN and 1 lymph Positive, Chemo A/C T complete 6/13
BRCA1-/BRCA2+ Variance, BIL 7/13, 33 RADS complete 10/13 Remssion :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic