Go To Main TNBC Website

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gene Test for Hereditary Cancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gene Test for Hereditary Cancer
    Posted: May 10 2017 at 8:09am
There have been other links discussing this new, affordable gene test that expands genetic testing beyond just the BRCA test.  Currently, it's being offered at less than a $100 for the test.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 2:17pm
Hello Donna,
My MIL was just diagnosed stage IV, triple negative, and oncologist is almost certain will be BRCA positive. I would like my husband to get tested. Can you share any resources with me related to BRCA testing in men? I know women can elect for mastectomy, but I have a lot to learn about how this impacts men and what preventative options are out there.

Lindsay 
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2017 at 6:41pm
Lindsay,

I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL's diagnosis.  If your MIL tests positive, it's a good idea for all her children to get tested too.  Men can carry the BRCA gene and pass that gene onto their children.  Here's some information on BRCA mutations in men and cancer risks:

Edited by 123Donna - Jun 30 2017 at 6:44pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 1:14pm

Hi Donna, I am not sure if I understand this correctly.

It seems there is now genetic testing that would hone in on a hereditary predisposition to breast cancer or other.

Does this mean that when we were tested for BRCA1 and 2 these tests were not yet available.

I was under the impression some were done with mine here in Toronto but I may be wrong. I will find them and see. If not are these tests available in Canada now?

Dr. Steve Narod did think I had a possible predisposition to hereditary breast cancer given my history and my Father dying at the age of 49 of pancreatic cancer and Mother also having colon cancer at the age of 85 along with her surviving breast cancer at the age of 44 or so. She has since died this past January at the age of 96 and a half of old age NOT cancer!   There is always hope!

Anyway Donna if you could set me straight on this I would surely appreciate it. I can call Toronto Women's College as well once I find out more.

Thanks You.

Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 1:52pm
Annie,

I believe that when we were tested, only the BRCA test was available.  For me, I know they only tested for BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes.  Remember back then Myriad held the exclusive patent for this gene test?  Also, the cost of genetic testing back then was extremely costly for an individual, but with the genome project we've seen the costs of such tests come down significantly.  Now they've created a test that is affordable and tests for a variety of genes that predisposes an individual to hereditary cancers.  This was not available 8 years ago and would have been cost prohibitive at the time.  I'm not sure if this test is available in Canada.  You could contact the GetColor people and see if it's offered in your country or maybe they know of a similar test.

Take a look at this chart and you can see the different cancers - breast, pancreatic, colon, etc and see if there are common genetic mutations associated with the predisposition of these cancers.  You can talk to a genetic counselor about possible testing for those genes.

Donna

Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2017 at 4:16pm

Thanks Donna, Very clear. It is hard to believe how much time has gone by. Good to hear of this news.

I will contact the genetic counselor on Tuesday in regards to this. If I learn anything that may be important for any Canadians on this forum I will post it as soon as I receive an answer.

Take care.

Love, Annie
Annie TNBC Stage IIA Gr 3 1cm lesion 2/5 lymph nodes+ lumpectomy,FEC & D 30Rads finished(08/2009) BRCA- Chronic Cellulitis due to Radiation-- L.Mastectomy Jan 2012
Lindsay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 11:20am
Donna,
Thank you for sharing those resources. We are still waiting on results. My MIL has three brothers too, so this is becoming a spider web of people to get tested possibly!
Annie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Annie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2017 at 2:39pm

Hi All,   Just a quick update.
             Spoke to genetic counselor at Women's College in Toronto. They will take a look at my profile from 2011 to see if I qualify for genetic testing for hereditary cancers. I was BRCA 1 and 2 negative.
            It looks like these tests are available in Canada...more information in a week or so.

Take care everyone!

Love, Annie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic