FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HealthCare up before Supremes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HealthCare up before Supremes
    Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 12:33pm
This matters to us.    http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/03/19/447157/health-insurers-well-deny-coverage-for-pre-existing-conditions-if-health-mandate-is-repealed/?tw_p=twt
I like that
  1) the coverage ceiling insurance companies placed on our care was tossed
  2) pre existing conditions is no longer something that precludes me from getting coverage
  3) that the cost of women's premiums are being levelled (because we go to docs more, our rates were higher)
  4) that my great niece and nephew and be on their mom and dad's plans while they're working their way through college. My nephew works full time and goes to school, he has since he was 13 and has had his share of farm accidents.
  If the mandate is tossed, well, look at the article. This effects us.

dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 1:05pm
Mainy,

You bring up some excellent points as to why our community needs to be concerned about the possible Supreme Court's actions.  From a personal perspective, I have benefited from my husband's insurance companies removal of the $1M lifetime cap and the allowance of my son's to be on his policy until 26 years of age. 

Most of us don't realize we are one job loss, one divorce, one healthcare crisis from being uninsurable.  I realize how silly it is to have to rely on an employer for healthcare coverage.  We may be one of the only developed nations not to have a single payer system.  I'm very concerned and scared that the supreme court will overturn these provisions and then I could potentially be between a rock and a hard place as far as getting insurance coverage.

I've heard so many stories by women that were diagnosed with bc and can no longer get insurance.  One recently is a 4 year survivor and applied for insurance with her family.  She was denied coverage because of her preexisting condition.  Now if this was 2014, she would no longer be denied coverage.  As of now, her only choice is to hopefully be allowed into her state's insurance pool.

Fareed Zakaria's GPS has a good segment on Saving Health Care.  It will be rerun on March 24th.
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/category/health/

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 1:21pm
Donna, did you watch Fareed's segment on Sunday? I saw it 2 times and would see it a third, thanks so much for bringing it up, I have to think everyone would benefit from seeing it.  It's all complicated but it would seem the US is already behind compared to the developed countries. It's all about access!

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 1:28pm
Thanks, Donna. I wanted to watch this, but unfortunately missed it. I hope the new reforms will be turn out to be helpful, but it makes me nervous when in the video at the top of the link Fareed says that in America "We fight death. Other societies at some point accept it." This line of reasoning could potentially put those with an unusual, expensive, and difficult to treat disease like TNBC at risk. I guess we'll have to wait and see what it all means and hope for the best.

Martin
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 2:55pm

In 2006, our daughter was dropped from our health insurance at midnight on the day she graduated from college.  I am so in favor of the provision in the new health care law that will prevent this from happening to others.  And, Donna, I certainly understand your point--if my husband lost his job, neither one of us would be insurable now due to pre-existing conditions.  When I hear politicians state that their first priority is to get rid of "Obamacare," I don't understand why the interviewers don't ask them about some of the more popular provisions that it includes.

Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2012 at 4:23pm
Martin & Charlene, please read the link that I provided. If the Supremes go ahead and hear the arguments next week and, as the article says we have had 2 lower courts vote to uphold the mandate and 1 to toss it, then a thumbs down on & the mandate would be compromised and our new reforms TOAST!
Remember, the Roberts' Court is a Conservative held bench, with even Judge Thomas' wife a TParty member who has run rallys against HealthCare.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2012 at 5:37pm
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2012 at 8:06am
From LBBC:

Our cover story focuses on how the Affordable Care Act impacts you as a woman diagnosed with breast cancer. Explore the current health system; changes happening now and in the future; provisions of the law that apply to women diagnosed with breast cancer; and where to get more information as the healthcare system changes.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 10:57am
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/765416?sssdmh=dm1.797961&src=nl_newsalert

Supreme Court Upholds Entire Affordable Care Act

June 28, 2012 — The Supreme Court today declared in a 5-4 vote that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) — the most significant healthcare legislation since the creation of Medicare — is also a constitutional act.

The ruling comes as a shock to many observers, who predicted the court would strike down the individual mandate to obtain insurance coverage, if not the entire law, after its 5-member conservative wing voiced misgivings about the controversial provision during oral arguments in March. The court decision also represents an early Christmas present for President Barack Obama, who seeks reelection this fall against a Republican opponent committed to rolling back "Obamacare."

The individual mandate was at the core of a lawsuit filed against the ACA by officials from 26 states, all but 1 of whom were Republican, as well as a business association. Similar to their Republican allies in Congress, the plaintiffs claimed that the mandate violated the Constitution's Commerce clause, which empowers Congress to regulate interstate commerce. They argued that although healthcare is a form of interstate commerce, Congress cannot compel "inactive" individuals to engage in commerce; that is, to buy or sell something. To allow the mandate to stand, they said, would open the door to further encroachments on personal liberty.

A federal district court in Florida and a federal appeals court in Georgia sided with the plaintiffs and invalidated the individual mandate. However, the Supreme Court had other precedents to follow.

The majority of lower federal courts that ruled on similar challenges to the ACA gave the mandate a clean bill of health, agreeing with the Obama administration's argument that contrary to the law's critics, individuals foregoing insurance coverage actively participate in the healthcare marketplace because they will eventually require medical attention. Their decision not to get coverage is bad for everyone else because the cost of their free or subsidized care is passed on to others in the form of higher provider costs and higher premiums, according to the administration. In addition, the decision by healthy Americans to go uninsured leaves the existing risk pool of insured Americans smaller and sicker, driving up premiums even more.

The mandate helps cure all these problems, the administration contended, by forcing "free riders" to finance their healthcare now as opposed to later, if at all.

During the oral arguments in March, several conservative Supreme Court justices did not appear to buy into the administration's point of view.

"Here the government is saying that the federal government has a duty to tell the individual citizen that it must act," said Justice Anthony Kennedy, "and that is different from what we have in previous cases, and that changes the relationship of the federal government to the individual in a very fundamental way."

The court's ruling on the ACA addressed more than the mandate. The justices also upheld the constitutionality of the law's dramatic expansion of the Medicaid program, which the plaintiffs had portrayed as a usurpation of states' rights. The court also declared that a penalty levied on individuals who fail to obtain health insurance coverage beginning in 2014 does not bar consideration of the case beforehand. At issue was a law called the Anti-Injunction Act (AIA), which prohibits anyone from challenging a tax in court until it has been paid. A federal district judge in Richmond, Virginia, last year ruled that the ACA penalty amounted to a tax, and thus triggered the AIA.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 11:28am

What the health care ruling means to you

By Josh Levs, CNN
updated 11:06 AM EDT, Thu June 28, 2012

(CNN) -- The Supreme Court's decision Thursday to uphold the Affordable Care Act means that the predictions about how it will affect all Americans remain in place.

Read the court ruling (.PDF)

Here are some highlights:

The uninsured

The decision leaves in place the so-called individual mandate -- the requirement on Americans to have or buy health insurance beginning in 2014 or face a penalty -- although many are exempt from that provision.

In 2014, the penalty will be $285 per family or 1% of income, whichever is greater. By 2016, it goes up to $2,085 per family or 2.5% of income.

Ruling on individual mandate explained
Photos: Health care and the high court Photos: Health care and the high court

Health care exchanges, which are designed to offer cheaper health care plans, remain in place as well.

The insured

Because the requirement remains for people to have or buy insurance, the revenue stream designed to help pay for the law remains in place. So insured Americans may be avoiding a spike in premiums that could have resulted if the high court had tossed out the individual mandate but left other requirements on insurers in place.

Young adults

Millions of young adults up to age 26 who have gained health insurance due to the law will be able to keep it. The law requires insurers to cover the children of those they insure up to age 26. About 2.5 million young adults from age 19 to 25 obtained health coverage as a result of the Affordable Care Act, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

Two of the nation's largest insurers, United Healthcare and Humana, recently announced they would voluntarily maintain some aspects of health care reform, including coverage of adult dependents up to age 26, even if the law was scrapped.

People with pre-existing conditions

Since the law remains in place, the requirement that insurers cover people with pre-existing medical conditions remains active.

The law also established that children under the age of 19 could no longer have limited benefits or be denied benefits because they had a pre-existing condition.

Starting in 2014, the law makes it illegal for any health insurance plan to use pre-existing conditions to exclude, limit or set unrealistic rates on coverage.

It also established national high-risk pools that people with such conditions could join sooner to get health insurance. As of April, a total of only about 67,000 people were enrolled in federally-funded pools established by the health care law, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

More than 13 million American non-elderly adults have been denied insurance specifically because of their medical conditions, according to the Commonwealth Fund. The Kaiser Family Foundation says 21% of people who apply for health insurance on their own get turned down, are charged a higher price, or offered a plan that excludes coverage for their pre-existing condition.

All taxpayers

No matter what the Supreme Court had decided, it would have been a mixed bag for all Americans when it comes to federal spending. There is heated dispute over what impact the health care law will have on the country over the long term.

The federal government is set to spend more than $1 trillion over the next decade to subsidize coverage and expand eligibility for Medicaid. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that the law could reduce deficits modestly in the first 10 years and then much more significantly in the second decade.

The CBO said a repeal of the mandate could reduce deficits by $282 billion over 10 years, because the government would be subsidizing insurance for fewer people. But the nation faces costs in various ways for having people who are uninsured. The Urban Institute's Health Policy Center estimated that without a mandate, 40 million Americans would remain uninsured.

Meanwhile, the Flexible Spending Accounts that millions of Americans use to save money tax-free for medical expenses will be sliced under the law. FSAs often allow people to put aside up to $5,000 pre-tax; as of 2013, they were to face an annual limit of $2,500.

Small business owners

The rules and benefits small business owners face as a result of the health care law remain in place.

As CNN has chronicled, the law brought a mix of both. The director of the National Federation of Independent Business is one of the plaintiffs who pushed the court to strike down the law. Meanwhile, a group called Small Business Majority fought to protect the law, saying its loss could be a nightmare.

As of 2014, under the law, small firms with more than 50 full-time employees would have to provide coverage or face expensive fines.

All Americans, in lesser known ways

The massive health care law requires doctors to report goodies they get from medical supply companies; demands more breastfeeding rooms; requires all chain restaurants to list calories under every menu item, and includes numerous other provisions, which now remain in place.

Doctors and other health care providers

Health care providers have already begun making changes based on the 2010 law, and in preparation for what will go into effect in 2014. Those plans continue.

In the short term, doctors avoid "chaos" that may have resulted from the law suddenly being dropped or changed, according to Bob Doherty, senior vice president of governmental affairs at the American College of Physicians, who wrote a blog post on the website kevinmd.com this spring.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/28/politics/supreme-court-health-effects/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 11:36am
I feel like I can breathe for the first time in months! Such good news. And since the US is 37th in health care globally maybe this will become a turning point for us to climb back to the top again.

dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 11:43am
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO EXCITED AND HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 1:12pm
To my dear sisters who are happy about the decision of the Supreme Court today, I pray that in 10 years you will still be happy with this decision. There are some of us who are not happy about what is happening in our country. I don't want government coming between me and my doctors and making the decisions about my healthcare.

That being said, I would hope that we could keep politics out of this forum and remember the ultimate purpose for this forum which is to share and encourage each other.

Love & hugs,
Genie
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 1:58pm
Genie
   You are so important to me! Your love and caring of all of us has meant the world to me during times of need. So it's also important to me for you to feel comfortable with this discussion.
   There are many factcheck sites that can help understand the Health Care Act, here is the AARP one to start off and I hope you will take the time to look at it.    http://aarp.convio.net/site/PageNavigator/Myths_vs_Facts    

The plan is ABSOLUTELY meant to keep your relationship with your doctors and team intact and in many ways it actually reinforces that relationship with you. You and your doctors will remain in total control of your healthcare issues, the myth that the govt will intervene is a terrifying one, but it is just that...a myth.  It's important to understand the role of money here. The HealthCare advocates have been outspent 16:1 by the anti health care side.

As far as politics are concerned, I understand. That said, I believe in you and your ability to analyze facts for yourself and facts are what will keep this discussion about our health and survival and what tools are now ours to make that chance our reality.

Best,
Mainy

Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 2:01pm
"We fight death. Other societies at some point accept it." This line of reasoning could potentially put those with an unusual, expensive, and difficult to treat disease like TNBC at risk. I guess we'll have to wait and see what it all means and hope for the best. (per Martin's post above)

Dear Martin and All....
It is my understanding that "Accepting death, and not fighting it" puts older adults at risk.  It doesn't have to be TNBC.  For instance, who will get their stints first?.... The 55 yr. old or the 70 yr. old.   And our state of health will not be the primary factor.... (Scary!!!)

Also, when our 2 children finished college we purchased an individual BC & BS health policy to cover them until they were employed and on their own. 

I'm with Genie about the politics and Breast Cancer Support.  

God Bless,
Lillie

Edited by Lillie - Jun 28 2012 at 7:37pm
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 2:11pm
Lillie dear, please read the articles that Donna posted as well as the AARP article I posted. The Health Care Act does NOT have death panels. That is a myth. Please please know that there is no rationing, please please read at least the AARP. It breaks my heart to think that you may have even a minute of anger or fear over this.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 2:20pm
Genie,

We love you on this forum and all you do to contribute and help others.  My elation has nothing to do with politics, it's just very personal to me.  My health insurance is tied to my husband's employer.  They used to have a $1M lifetime cap (until they had to change it with the law).  We've been married for over 30 years and this limit has been in place.  I bet with all my treatment so far, I'm halfway there to that $1M number.  It scares me with the cost of healthcare today and how easily you can reach the limit.  The other worry, is what happens if my husband lost his job?  We couldn't afford COBRA and I have a preexisting condition and would not have insurance.  Could he get insurance?  What if he divorced me?  How could I get or afford insurance.  How would I pay for my treatments?  Too many worries for someone to deal with while going through treatment.

My sister-in-law is going through a divorce after being married 30 plus years.  She'll lose her health insurance through her husband's employer and can't afford COBRA either.  She's also worried at her age if she could get affordable coverage or just go without insurance.  She's made the comment to me that I guess I won't have health insurance, hope I don't get sick.

I would never bring politics into this forum.  It has no place here.  What I want is all of us to have access to affordable healthcare.  I've talked to too many women on other forums that have had to file bankruptcy, lose their house, their life saving, retirement, etc. because of the cost of their cancer treatment.  I was extremely healthy until I was 49 and diagnosed with cancer.  I took our healthcare coverage for granted. 

Hugs,
Donna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 2:26pm
This  http://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/death-panels-redux/  is thekind of thing that terrifies all of us. Death panels are a cruel fabrication.

Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 4:22pm
Dear Mainly & Donna,
I didn't mean to start anything by my post. Shall we agree to disagree? I have read the info on the links and many other sites concerning the Obamacare. I've also discussed this issue with my doctors. Just last week my oncologist informed me that for the first time in 20 years, her practice lost money and she had to let 3 people go. This loss is a direct result of the interference from the government she stated and as more of Obamacare is instituted, she is not sure to will be able to keep her practice open. She told me that if she doesn't write 10 escripts a year, the government takes 1 % of her yearly income as a penalty. This is just wrong!

I agree that changes need to be made in our health care but I don't think government should force everyone to have insurance. My daughter and her husband can barely make ends meet and I sure don't know where they would be able to come up with the additional money for health insurance. They don't qualify for any assistance so we pay for any medical care they receive.

I love and respect you all.
Genie
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2012 at 4:28pm
Genie, just to help out, you know about the assistance that the program will be giving to cover insurance coverage if one finds the premiums too much of a challenge? That will be instituted early 2013.

Your doctor's story is profoundly devastating. I'm going to look into that as I agree that that kind of experience is just wrong.
   *Update* I think I found what your doctor was referring to and it is a Medicare situation where the doctors can get a bonus if they participate or are fined if they don't.   http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/05/28/gvl10528.htm    This is not part of the Health Care Reform Act, but certainly I can understand the concern.

Best,
Mainy

Edited by mainsailset - Jun 28 2012 at 4:38pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic