FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for plan B resources/leads.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for plan B resources/leads.
    Posted: Nov 25 2011 at 10:18am
Hello it seem that I am quickly coming to the end of what standard practices of western medicine can offer me so I am in the process of developing “Plan B”. I am hoping that you all might have some ideas for me of possibilities to consider. I am thinking mostly of either locating an appropriate study and/or of pursuing alternative treatments. Under alternative treatments I am especially interested of anyone with a similar cancer situation who has tried either the Gerson Institute or the Institute for Optimum Health in San Diego. I am open to whatever you have found that actually works.

Here is my situation in a nutshell. In June of this year I was diagnosed with Invasive Ducal Carcinoma with lymph involvement grade/stage three, in my left breast. At the advice of my Oncologist I began chemo right away (Adria and Cytoxan, 6 treatments every other week). The tumor appeared unchanged so on September 15 I had a left breast mastectomy and node dissection. The cancer in the tumor was not dead and had spread to 6 lymph nodes. They had not had good margins at the skin so I had to go back in for a skin excision on October 21. Around November 2, I found two small lumps developing in the skin on the surface of my left breast and two lumps in my armpit. Biopsy on November 11 confirmed cancer in both locations. A CT scan on November 16 identified more lymph involvement in my left chest wall and possible spots in my lung. On November 11 I started chemo again (Taxol and Cysplatin weekly three on one off) although my oncologist is now saying this cancer is likely chemo resistant. On November 21, I began radiation although they are not able to treat the chest wall or the lungs. Right now I am continuing with the radiation and chemo in combination to see if we can at least slow down the spread while I find plan B.

I have two small children (18mo and 4yrs) so dying in the near future is not really an option. Somehow I am remaining hopeful and positive. I feel like: “Ok, that didn’t work and in a way I am not surprised. Time now, to find what will”.

Any leads/ suggestions or connections to women who have beat this after a similar situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
(ps. I am not sure which forum to post this in so I have posted it in more than one. Time is short. If it is not in the right place please move it as you see fit. Thanks.)
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2011 at 4:21pm
Hi Amara, so sorry to see you are having such a difficult time.  Have you considered a second opinion?

I have taken this quote from an article I posted in the TNBC News/Resource section, you might look thru that section for this and other articles/studies.   "Strategies showing promise in this difficult-to-treat group of patients include cytotoxic therapy with platinum-containing agents, ixabepilone, and novel targeted approaches such as poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase inhibitors."

Also try posting in the "Talk" section of the forum where I believe you will draw more attention to your question.  Let us know how you are doing, my very best wishes to you.

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2011 at 5:58pm
Hi All,

Just a FYI.
Great info by trip2 above.
Amara posted Nov 25, 2011 in: TNBC Metastasis/Recurrence Users
       with the topic: Recurrence during treatment. Need resources.
Since there are 8 replies there, maybe further posts could go there????????

Thanks.

Grateful for today.............Judy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic