FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stinging hot flashes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stinging hot flashes
    Posted: Nov 20 2011 at 6:30am
I now experience stinging with my hot flashes, feels like prickles all over.  I've searched, but have not found any forum topics on this.  Does anyone else experience this? My last chemo was in May.  
DX IDC 12/10, grade 3, 1.9 cm, 0/4 nodes, left, Ki-67 44%, lumpectomy 12/23/10, BRCA-, 7/11 bi-mx, A/C+Taxol, recon 12/11
clwille708 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clwille708 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2011 at 11:11am
Hi Nicky:
I too went through this prickle thing...so you are not alone, and you are not crazy.  My last chemo was in February.  The prickles started for me in April...just when I was through with radiation.  Any attempt at exercise, the hot summer weather and hot flashes made my life miserable.  I felt like I was being stung by a million bees.

I tried using capsaicin (hot pepper pills) which were supposed to help, but these made my acid reflux (another side effect of taxol for me) much worse.  The only thing that gave me any relief was using a fine mist of cold water or a cold face cloth.  I used both when exercising.

The good news is, these prickles have gradually faded, and now 9 months after chemo, they have virtually disappeared.

I think the cause is nerve damage from the taxol...but it seems to be a relatively rare side effect.

Hang in there and with any luck yours will gradually disappear.

Hugs, Linda in Wasaga Beach
Dx Aug/10,age 62, Lump & SNB Sept/10,1.7 cm, grade 3, Triple Neg, Nodes clear. Annual screening due to family history of Ovarian C. BRCA - Chemo DD AC -->Taxol 21 Rads done. Hugs -Linda
Nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2011 at 1:00pm
Oh, my goodness, Linda!  Thank you so much!  I'm glad yours dissipated, and look forward to mine, too! Tongue

Blessings!
Nicky
DX IDC 12/10, grade 3, 1.9 cm, 0/4 nodes, left, Ki-67 44%, lumpectomy 12/23/10, BRCA-, 7/11 bi-mx, A/C+Taxol, recon 12/11
tninalabama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tninalabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2011 at 7:27pm
Nicky,

I get prickly and/or cold right before a hot flash. Getting flustered also brings on the prickly hot flash. This has been happening ever since my first chemo almost four years ago. I certainly hope yours gets better.

Pam
Dx 11/07,stII bgr3,1/8+, metaplastic, recurrence 11/09, lymph dis 12/13+ 07/10, rad,x28 9/10,02/11 mets

BRCA neg
5-FMC since 03/12
PET 04/12,no progression
Bone scan clear 06/12
Nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2011 at 7:46pm
Oh, Pam, I am so sorry yours has not gone. Has anything eased the severity?
tninalabama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tninalabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2011 at 3:14pm
Not really, I think mostly it's just that time of my life. They are not really that frequent, Nicky. I can count on a couple at bedtime. I am fortunate that day time flashes are very infrequent.
Dx 11/07,stII bgr3,1/8+, metaplastic, recurrence 11/09, lymph dis 12/13+ 07/10, rad,x28 9/10,02/11 mets

BRCA neg
5-FMC since 03/12
PET 04/12,no progression
Bone scan clear 06/12
jelby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2011 at 8:40pm
I am new to this site and found this topic to be of great interest. I too have experienced the prickly feeling under skin right before a hot flash and was not aware that it was related to chemo. Was concerned that it might be related to liver disease as this is one of the symptoms along with night sweats.... I finished chemo almost 3 months ago...Glad to hear that it has subsided for some of you. While we're on the subject of hot flashes.....mine are so much worse since I've pretty much been off all supplements while undergoing treatment. Any suggestions on what to take? My doctors are suggesting 3 options: hypnosis, acupuncture or anti-depressants...not very appealing. This is a great site by the way. I found helpful tips in dealing with chemo/radiation, etc.
Nicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2011 at 8:52pm
My doctor recommended green tea and soy milk.  I already include those in my diet and are not much help for me, but maybe they will be for you.
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2011 at 1:46pm
I was given neurontin (gabapentin) which helps with some of the finger and toe numbness and tingling as well as can reduce hot flashes.  I don't know if it's helped or if just being off chemo is what helped, but mine were much better with it.
10/10,age49,St3,gr3,5+cm,1 node,BRCA-,T+Cisplatin+Rad0001(or placebo),Lump 1+cm,AND 0/15,AC,rads finished 7/6/11.Mets bone, liver,mamm node 8/11,abrax/tigatuzamab failed.Started bicalutamide 11/16/11.
jelby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jelby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2011 at 5:51pm
thank you for your responses.....
Barbi, Do I need a prescription for neurontin?
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2011 at 8:09pm
Yes, neurontin is actually a seizure med but many use it for both the neuropathy from chemo and to reduce hot flashes.
10/10,age49,St3,gr3,5+cm,1 node,BRCA-,T+Cisplatin+Rad0001(or placebo),Lump 1+cm,AND 0/15,AC,rads finished 7/6/11.Mets bone, liver,mamm node 8/11,abrax/tigatuzamab failed.Started bicalutamide 11/16/11.
Twin Sister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twin Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 10:30am
I had hot flashes but most worrisome is the constant pain in the breast that had IDC and lumpectomy. oc says it is scar tissue and live with it.  I take OTC meds but worry all the time.  Am scheduled for PET scan next week.
DX4/10IDCSt2Gr3BRCA-Lump4/30/10, port,A/Cx46/14/10;wklyTaxol8/10ended 11/10/10.Rads35xbegin 11/10. LumpRBreastB9
2/2011,MammoOK 8/11 PET-metsIntlMamryChain12/11Xeloda,IMRT8wks;5/12 Mets,Stage4
Barbi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 1:46pm
Twin Sister,
I know that radiation can cause all kinds of pain either during treatment or starting at some time later and can last forever. I don't know of any prevention or cure for that pain.  I know I have some pain really more under my arm where I had my axillary nodes removed - lots of thick scar tissue there.  I try to do my stretches religiously as they say that prevents worsening of pain and fibrosis.
Twin Sister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twin Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 2:40pm
Barbi, thanks.  Have had no problem with lymph node sites.  The breast always hurts, sometimes a dull constant ache, sometimes an electric shock.  Hopefully it will diminish over time.
DX4/10IDCSt2Gr3BRCA-Lump4/30/10, port,A/Cx46/14/10;wklyTaxol8/10ended 11/10/10.Rads35xbegin 11/10. LumpRBreastB9
2/2011,MammoOK 8/11 PET-metsIntlMamryChain12/11Xeloda,IMRT8wks;5/12 Mets,Stage4
just_visiting View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just_visiting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 11:03am
Hi all,
Old thread but I have something to add.
I don't have cancer, so I can't speak to medication side effects. Just saw this thread while googling "stinging hot flashes"  and signed up to comment.

Had a terrible bout with stinging hot flashes the last few years.  Assumed it was menopause, because I"m 53.   However, when having a tooth pulled, I couldn't eat my normal breakfast burrito with hot sauce in the morning and within a week, they cleared up.   I have some very mild ones, usually with bending over or mild effort, or a very hot day. 

But it turned out that eating spicy foods can also trigger this. I was eating jalapeno potato chips, things with wasabi, hot sauce, dousing everything with pepper, fried chicken with hot sauce and so on.   Love anything spicy.  But the unfortunate result of this was that my body interpreted that as heat, and responded accordingly with a hot flash.   So I had sweat running down my face all the time and was in front of a fan at least few times an hour.  Adjusted my diet and went from that to almost no issues, just the occasional very mild hot flash. 
Oddly enough even the Lean Cuisine orange chicken, which has some spice but is pretty mild, now causes a tiny little hot flash.  Reproducible.

Capcasin pills?  Yikes. I don't know if it would trigger the same hot response in the body but it seems like it could.

This won't help you if it's a side effect, but maybe it can help reduce the intensity of the hot flashes.

I miss my hot peppers!  But don't miss the misery!

Hope this is helpful to someone out there.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic