FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Devil Chemo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Devil Chemo
    Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 12:54pm
So my friend did not do to well on haveline (spelling?).  She had some rough side effects so the oncologist took her off of it after one cycle. She went through about three weeks of sickness...part of that can be attributed to a virus but after she beat the virus she still had some side effects from the chemo that were not good. (back pain/threw up a few times/just a yucky feeling)  So now she is on the Red Devil chemo (Doxorubin I think but not sure of the name).  It is called the Red Devil because of the color (red), and its side effects.  I know the side effects can be rough with this one so I was wondering if anybody has done this chemo and if so..any suggestions on how to make the side effects minimal.  Also...any good experiences with this drug?  Does it work well for tnbc?  If this one does not work for her she will move to trial drugs...hoping Abraxine will be the first one if it gets to that point.  Thanks everybody

Craig

Edited by Craig76 - Sep 22 2011 at 12:58pm
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 1:30pm
Craig,

I believe your friend will be getting Doxil.  I know there was a nationwide shortage of this drug as my friend with peritonneal cancer was taken off of it because her onc could no longer get it.  Maybe the shortage issue has been resolved.  While her onc wanted to keep her on Doxil for several more months, she did achieve remission or NED.  Her tumor markers are very low and we're hopeful that she can stay NED for a long time.   She scans again in November.  So for her it seemed to be very effective.  She did have problems with the hand/foot syndrome side effect.  I remember her hand and feet blistering and peeling.  She was wearing cushiony slippers this summer because she couldn't wear her normal shoes.  I hope this helps.  I know everyone reacts differently to chemo and side effects vary.

Donna

http://www.chemocare.com/bio/doxil.asp
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 1:38pm
It is often given, as in my wife's case, in combination with cyclophosphamide (also called cytoxan). Together they are called A/C since the trade name for doxorubicin is Adriamycin. I'm not sure which one of the drugs caused the which of the side effects, but Susan experienced severe fatigue as a side effect and there was not much that could be done about that. It also causes a drop in the white blood cells, but they should give a Rx for a drug called Neupogen or Neulasta for that. It's an injection you give in the stomach a day or two after chemo. Hair loss is also one of the side effects. Some people experience nausea, but they are pretty good at keeping that under control with a drug called Emend so make sure they write a Rx for it. Susan also had to take laxatives, eat lots of fruit and vegetables, and drink lots of water to keep her digestive system working. I'm sure others will respond with more helpful suggestions and I hope it goes well for your friend.

Martin
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 1:45pm
I think Doxil and Adriamycin are similar types of chemo and both are red.  Craig, Martin may be correct in that your friend might be getting Adriamycin and not Doxil.  This would make sense if there is a supply shortage for Doxil.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 3:33pm
I know everyone called Adria the Red Devil when I was taking it. Craig, just a thought, but my sis and I discovered long ago that we do better on smaller doseages of this stuff. The onc has her now on a minimal doseage of the Halaven and she hasn't had the side effects and believe me she is a side effect magnet!

Also, this may be way off, but since going through it with her it's always foremost in my mind...check to see if she has 'dark spots discolorations' that look like age spots. The spots, together with the nausea were red flags for our onc to figure out about the adrenal failure or "Hodgkins Disease". It's admittedly VERY rare, but can be tested for and who if not this family are flagcarrying adrenal challenged?

The Adria made me constipated so be sure to get lots of fruit and blueberries into her. After the Taxol/Sutent it was a cake walk for me.
Best, Mainy
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Alison41 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 4:26pm

Hi Craig

The red devil in the UK is Epirubicin, I have to admit I did not have any side effects from this chemo, no sickness.  I actually had cravings just like being pregnant.  This chemo worked well for me, shrunk my initial tumour.  The only things to make the side effects easier is to take sickness medication and just take things easy.
diagnosed Sep08,TNBC IDC 5cm tumour, 1+ node, Mastectomy and Axilla dissection May09, 4 of Fec and 4 of Taxotare. 15 Rounds of Radiotherapy. 2.5 years from diagnosis. Reconstruction November2010.
Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 4:51pm
I think anything that is red is called the red devil ha ha...thanks everyone for responding.  Main I know the onc planned to lessen the doseage of Halaven but I think when she started to get sick for a second time the onc made the call to pull her off completely and start her on this stuff.  I am thinking though she might be able to do Gemzar and Halaven down the road because she was pulled off of both of them rather early.  Gemzar was actually clearing two of her three areas at the time up.  Not sure what the Halaven did.  I just have to find out what she is on I guess when I talk to her...we have been texting back and forth but she seems kinda out of it today so I will ask her later this weekend when I see her.  You might be right though Donna...now that you mention the shortage it does seem logical that they would not put her on that.  I kind of hope they did though with the results your sister achieved.  What stage was she?  Martin...thank you so much for the info...very informative.  Main I will run that by her about the spots...they were going to do an MRI on her because if cancer gets to certain parts of the brain it can cause nausea...but I think since the nausea has subsided they do not think it is that anymore.  I told her we are putting her on a cancer diet starting this weekend.  Beans, rice, and chili are off the menu ha ha.  Blueberries are one of the things that she will be loading up on.  With that menu, some exercise, and this red devil juice they have pumped into her this week...well we will be putting the smackdown on these little cancer cells.   Thanks again all

Just talked to her and she said it had began with a D. 

Edited by Craig76 - Sep 22 2011 at 4:52pm
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 7:08pm
Craig, before I forget, sis had the Gemzar in full dose and had lots of side effects, ladies here helped by saying they too had had side effects until oncs reduced their doseage so something to keep in mind for future.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2011 at 10:42pm
Craig,

Doxil is Doxorubicin Liposomal.  Adriamycin is Doxorubicin.  They both begin with D's! 

Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 11:01am
Ha Ha...well I guess she is on Doxorubicin. Chemo is not one of my strong points as you can tell ha ha. :)  Whatever it is I hope it works.  Thanks Donna. 

Main, while in Gemzar she really did not have any side effects...not sure of the dosage but that chemo was really easy for her.  Xeloda was another one with no side effects for her but the cancer spread rather fast under that chemo.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 5:41pm
Hi Craig,
I had the 'red devil' adriamycin/doxorubicin. I also had cytoxan at the same time. A/C.

Before I could take adriamycin I had to have a 'muga' scan to check my heart. Did your friend have a 'muga scan'?

Fatigue, constipation, and nausea med. EMEND were my buddies for a few days after each 'red devil' infusion.

Is Doxil/Doxorubicin Liposomal considered the same as adriamycin?

Good Luck and God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 6:20pm
I'll also throw in a few thoughts. I had Taxol first - 12 (once a week for 12 weeks) then she gave me a break of three weeks before the A/C therapy that Lillie mentions above. I had 6 (one every 3 weeks). I was also given EMEND - i think or something like it which were in pill form the morning of treatment (as long as my blood work was okay) and then each day for about 3 days afterwards.  I never experienced nausea with any of my treatments (not the case for everyone i know) and didn't start losing my hair until the 2nd or 3rd A/C treatment. I was hospitalized during treatment with c-diff for several days (good bacteria) got killed off and had army green and loose stool (sorry about that one) but it resolved in a few weeks and didn't interrupt my treatment. She did have me do several things such as no raw  fruits or veggies, lots of water, walking as tolerated, rest, of course, but to tell you the truth i didn't get very tired. I did have to go and have my heart checked before treatment began and to the dentist. My blood work remained good throughout treatment but i did gain lots of weight during and afterwards - something about the steroids i was given as pre-meds made me really hungry (i actually sat there during chemo and had a big lunch every time) which also elevated my blood sugars which made me hungrier. Chemo - for me was not at all what i expected. I expected to be sick and wasn't and counted myself as fortunate. I think the T and then A/C was a good choice and has worked well for me. I know everyone is different and i hope your friend will do well with her treatment. Here in S. Florida the "A" of the A/C therapy is called the "Red Devil" and when you pee after treatment your urine is pinkish red. 
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 10:38pm
Lillie,

Your question:  Is Doxil/Doxorubicin Liposomal considered the same as adriamycin?

Drug type: Doxorubicin (liposomal) is an anti-cancer ("antineoplastic" or "cytotoxic") chemotherapy drug.  It is the drug doxorubicin encapsulated in a closed lipid sphere (liposome).  This medication is classified as an "anthracycline antibiotic."

From my layman understanding it's similar to adriamycin but encapsulated.  It's also red.

Donna

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic