FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low-dose naltrexone (LDN)
    Posted: Sep 05 2011 at 11:27am

Low-dose naltrexone (LDN): Tricking the body to heal itself

Researchers at The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania have discovered the mechanism by which a low dose of the opioid antagonist naltrexone (LDN), an agent used clinically (off-label) to treat cancer and autoimmune diseases, exerts a profound inhibitory effect on cell proliferation. It has been postulated that opioid receptor blockade by LDN provokes a compensatory elevation in endogenous opioids and opioid receptors that can function after LDN is no longer available. Using a novel tissue culture model of LDN action, the mechanism of LDN has been found to target the opioid growth factor (OGF, [Met5]-enkephalin) and OGF receptor (OGFr) axis. This discovery, reported in the September 2011 issue of Experimental Biology and Medicine, provides new insights into the molecular pathway utilized by an increasingly important clinically prescribed agent that serves as a basic biological regulator of cell proliferative events related to pathobiological states such as cancer and autoimmune diseases.

. . . .Dr. Steven R. Goodman, Editor-in-Chief of Experimental Biology and Medicine said “These researchers from the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center have made the important discovery of the mechanism by which a low dose of the opioid antagonist naltrexone (LDN) can suppress cell proliferative-related disorders such as cancer and autoimmune diseases. This is an exciting new direction for future therapy”.

To read the entire article:

http://www.breakthroughdigest.com/medical-news/low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-tricking-the-body-to-heal-itself/

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Mountain View View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain View Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2018 at 9:10am
Just wondering if anyone has tried Low Dose Naltrexone for TNBC?  I am currently taking it since May 2018.  I had a lumpectomy in July and I am still trying to decide if I want to do chemo or not.  I really had my mind set on not doing chemo before I found out it was TNBC.   I still would rather try natural things and looking for anyone that tried and is having success without chemo.  Thank you.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 12:19am
I haven't heard of anyone trying this versus standard treatment of chemotherapy and radiation.  With TNBC being so aggressive, there aren't many options besides chemotherapy.  LDN might be a complementary treatment, but not an alternative to traditional medicine.  We only get one shot of attacking this beast the first time.  I wish we had more choices.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic