FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abraxane and Avastin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
faulknercj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faulknercj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abraxane and Avastin
    Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 9:58am
Dear All

My wife has Stage IV secondary breast cancer ( http://www.clairefaulkner.co.uk )

We have come all the way over from England as the NHS ( National Health Service ) back home have basically told my wife that there is nothing else they can do, to the Burzynski clinic here in Houston, Texas.

The doctors have put together a plan that comprises of Abraxane/Avastin and Tarceva.

My wife is allergic to Taxol and i believe that the Abraxane is of the same family but composed differently, I would love to hear from anyone who is allergic to Taxol but has managed to have Abraxane and how they have found it.

Also trying to put my wife's mind at ease i would love to hear of other peoples stories regarding the combination of these drugs, their success rate and side effects.

Many many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Christopher.

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2011 at 11:06am
Christopher, I hope this story helps. I have TN, while my sister is dbl Negative...she was dx'd with a recurrence in Nov '08 with mets to spine and lung. The oncologist treated her with Femara, zometa until Dec of '09. To make a long story short she was treated unsuccessfully up until she had a bad sequence of events and I was then able to get her into my oncologist in April '10.

He started her on the combo of Abraxane & Avastin. I had always believed that Abraxane was a workhorse, sort of like the Cadiallac version of Taxol's Chevy, and of course the Avastin was the great up and comer at that time.

By summer's end her spine mets were nothing more than scar residue, her lung tumors had shrunk down considerably. She then went through a series of varying chemos...but the end result is that this month she is officially in remission with clear CAT scans and her tumor markers are just barely above 100. Now remission may seem an overreach to some but we'll take that kind of success anytime.

The Avastin certainly has its side effects and it does not promise everyone the kind of success my sis has seen, but the Abraxane is magic and for some, when the two are given together it can work miracles. I am not familiar with the 3rd chemo so can't help out.

I did a treatment similar with the Taxol/Sutent regime. And I can tell you to prepare yourself for the kitchen sink version of chemo...it is difficult and you must watch her for side effects like a hawk, but the important thing is that it IS doable and it can bring great results.

Best of luck, we're all kind of a one for all, all for one bunch here so please come back often. You're part of the family now.
Best
Mainy
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
faulknercj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faulknercj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 8:52pm
Firstly I wanted to say a huge thank you for responding, it really is very much appreciated.  

Tomorrow is D-Day for my wife.

We are going to have a PET/CT scan at the Houston Imaging Center under sedation ( my wife cannot lay flat without incredible pain from the tumor in her neck which makes scans incredibly difficult to achieve ) and then we are going back to the clinic to have the Abraxane/Avastin IV combination.  

Fingers crossed she will tolerate it best she can with as little side effects as possible.  We have just over one week left here and need to get started on some form of treatment.

She's had numerous chemotherapy drugs in the past and has also had radiation therapy so am hoping that she will get through this and be positive in her mind to continue with the treatment back home.

We have contacted our doctors in England and are anxiously awaiting confirmation that they will work with the Burzynski clinic in administering these drugs, providing the clinic with bloods and scan results as required, and helping us to move forward in our lives.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

God bless you all

Claire & Chris
http://www.clairefaulkner.co.uk

TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 10:07pm
Dear Claire & Chris,

You will remain in our prayers.

Susan & Martin
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 12:24am
Chris & Claire, I've been thinking about you all day. I hope that the scan was doable, that the treatment went well and that you are tucked in for the night with the knowledge that you have a plan in hand and are in good hands.
M
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 10:00am
Claire and Chris,

I hope the scans go well today. 

Donna

Here's your link made hot.  Thank you for sharing your story and your blog in the link.  You are a beautiful woman with two beautiful daughters. 

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 4:36pm
Claire and Chris.  I hope you get good news soon, and a reduction in Claire's pain.  Neck pain so bad she can't lay down sounds just awful.  What is she taking for pain?

**from what I've heard, most people who are allergic to taxol are not allergic to abraxane, because the former is dissolved in cremaphor (allergenic) and the latter albumin (not allergenic).  An exception to this might be some Asian Americans with a rare gene variant that makes them *extremely* allergic to taxanes, I think the drug itself not what it's dissolved in.   Since Claire is caucasian she probably doesn't have the variant. 
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2011 at 11:48pm
Dear Chris and Claire,
My wife had an allergic reaction to Taxol and was switched to Abraxane. She had  no allergic reaction to Abraxane. The side effects are similar as Taxol but stronger and shorter lived. Our wishes are with you and I hope you find the treatment that works best for your wife.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 11:17am
Dear Claire and Chris,
I pray the abraxane and avastin will work to being relief quickly. I also pray for remission for Claire.

What a lovely family you are.

God Bless,
Lillie

Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2011 at 10:14pm
Claire and Chris,

How are you doing?  
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

HappyGoLucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGoLucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2011 at 10:58pm
Donna

Sadly Claire passed away......... read her uk blog and was shocked . Terribly sad.
2/2009 7cm tumor, sent nod. pos. Lumpectomy 3/19/09,a/c dose dense+avastin clinical trial, taxol avastin stopped with pneumonia. 33 Rads 01/2010 ~ reccur 2011 supraclav.and internal mammary nodes. rad
Debris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2011 at 11:00pm
If you go to the Faulkners' link, it seems Claire passed away mid-Septwmber.

RIP, Claire. May Chris and the girls find His Peace and Comfort as they deal with their grief.
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2011 at 7:38am
I am so sad to hear of her passing.  

mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 5:08pm
I didn't meet Claire.

My heart goes out to her family.  God Bless you all.  Sounds like one beautiful earth angle got her wings. 

I'm so sorry.  My prayers are with you.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2011 at 9:16am
I am so sorry to hear about the death of Clair. May she Rest in Peace.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
lufei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lufei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2012 at 11:40pm
bags the promenade. A lot of special occasions joyous serves as a scholarship grant for doing things instructors. Every one of them little fake chanel bags the particular same durability along together with many other practical has as the particular original ones. They have so much in resemblance chanel replica bags andbags will be the price tag ticket connected for it while good quality managed and also tested reproduction carriers will not be readily availab tiffany and co before long started and keep his or her attention upon their performs. This individual hanged a big works produced by Takashi Murakami regarding louis vuitton bags e purse, it doesnt go on being minute any more. It can be there for people to find out and observe, to admire or criticize. Rising rolex replica Handmade totes are usually items that a lady might take satisfaction inside. Understanding that your personal carrier is one of a kind tiffany jewellery possible without them.because of the allegorical Coach affection as able-bodied as the beauteous architecture of the creation.s Lutheran By giving to our cheap designer handbags braided straps, tab snap closure, horsebits, studs, bottom feet, and inside zip pocket. They also come in indifferent and small sizes but equated to chanel replica bags your out of hand acquiring duplicate bags is a simple awareness as a result of prepare retailers in addition to flea industry vendors nobody result certainly not is replica handbags and order the company to surrender all copies of the film containing the marks. It is also asking for triple damages on all profits that Warner Bros. may have replica handbags 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic