FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TNBC in contralateral breast

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How many have had their second primary TNBC in the other breast?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [50.00%]
1 [50.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TNBC in contralateral breast
    Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 4:25pm
Dear members:

I am looking for any information relating to a new primary diagnosis of TN in the contralateral breast.

My original diagnosis was in 2009 with TN in the left breast.  On June 14, 2011, I just had bilateral mx for TN in the right breast.  Apparently, it is only 1% per year who has this diagnosis, so I am desparately seeking information. 

Thanks to all our wonderful researchers, forum administrators and most valuable members!
TNBC_in_NS aka Helen xoxo

PS:  I made a mistake on the 1% - it is not in the world, it is per year! Oops... surgery brain....

Edited by TNBC_in_NS - Jun 21 2011 at 6:03pm
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
ann u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ann u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 4:45pm
Helen

Hope you are healing well -

I had a TNBC diagnosis in my right axilla area in Aug 2006.  As you can see from my signature, I had a lumpectomy, radiation, and chemo.

During my normal mammogram in Oct 2009, the radiologist saw a small (3mm) "calcification" in my left breast, which upon doing a needle biopsy was also TNBC.  My oncologist classified it as a new occurance, rather than a recurrance, since it was almost three years after I had finished treatment.

I am BRCA1+, so I think I just grow cancers because of this.  I am over a year and a half past my double mastectomy (and no chemo since it was so small), so knock on wood, spit, spit, I hope it's gone for good.  Only time will tell, and I am comfortable with the choices my doctor's and I have made along the way.

I really don't think a new primary in the contralateral breast is as rare as your doctor seems to think - it will be interesting who chimes in.

Ann

8/06: IDC 1cm, 0/9 lymph nodes, lumpectomy, Mammosite radiation, 4 x A/C
5/07: BRCA1+ (5382insC)
11/09: IDC 3mm, double mastectomy w/reconstruction

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 5:04pm
Helen,

I had a bi-mx at the original diagnosis.  The only thing I can tell you is the left (good) breast had 3 descriptions of "precancerous" activity in the path report.  No more detail in the path report except wording like atypical hyperplasia, etc.  I just have the feeling it would have eventually led to a new primary in the other breast.  Whether it would have been TN, is anyone's guess.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 5:07pm
Dear Helen,

I hope you are recovering o.k. from the surgery..

I agree with Ann and I am not sure where your source got the figures..here is a study from Canada and these figures are for breast cancer in general. I believe the figures for TNBC are higher..sorry, don’t have time to research it.

gentle hugs,

Steve

Epidemiology of Contralateral Breast Cancer1

1. Yue Chen2
  2. Wendy Thompson
  3. Robert Semenciw and 
  4. Yang Mao

+Author Affiliations

1. Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa [Y. C., W. T.], and Cancer Bureau, Laboratory Centre for Disease Control, Health Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1H 8M5 [R. S., Y. M.]

Abstract

Two to 11% of women diagnosed with breast cancer will develop contralateral breast cancer in their lifetime. Women with a first primary are at a 2–6-fold increased risk of developing contralateral breast cancer compared with the risk in the general population of women developing a first primary cancer. 

I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 5:28pm
    Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
    123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 6:15pm
    Helen,

My friend was just diagnosed via a mammogram in April with ER+ Stage 0 breast cancer.  It was a very small in-situ lump that they removed via lumpectomy on her chest wall.  She then had an MRI and they found a precancerous cluster in the other breast and removed it by a lumpectomy too.  She has lumpy, fibrocystic breasts like I did.  I know she's very worried about monitoring and catching anything new early. 
    DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
    11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 6:34pm
    Thanks Donna! I know my breasts were lumpy, bumpy, cordy, everyway! It just baffles my mind how these things happen??? I guess after working in the med system for so many years, I never thought it would happen to me... duhhhh....Now two of the same primary's....Just gets to me.  I don't blame her for keeping on it! I would too. We know how fast things change.... Keeping her in my prayers too!

I had the dressings removed today but the drains weren't ready to come out yet.  Maybe next week.  They asked me if I wanted to look in the mirror and I said, "no way, maybe next year some time....."  It is a mess but the surgeon was happy with his flap job.  There are two areas of concern where the skin turned purple and black... he will follow me for this??? Necrosis I guess....As long as it doesn't leave a hole, I will be fine.  I think... I have this thing now for looking at boobs as women walk around? wondering if they are real or make overs??? Isn't that awful... Pat just says "mommmm" that's kind of creepy.... just a bit of black humour there.... xoxo
    123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 6:53pm
    Helen,

You are too funny.  I was doing the same thing last summer at the beach.  I felt like people might be looking at me going those aren't real.  I wanted to wear something saying that it wasn't by my choice!

How many drains do you have on each side?  I had 3 each and so glad when they were out!  Did you have a Tram Flap.  How was it?  Only look in the mirror when you're ready.  It does get better and the scars fade.

Hugs,
    Donna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2011 at 7:11pm

There are only two drains, Geez that's enough, both for the breasts.  The left nodes were taken in 2009 but the right ones were taken this time around.  Won't find out the path on this until next week some time?? I asked him if it was a tram flap but he said "NO"... He didn't give me much information at all.. Just worried that his job was done right.... I guess he is happy, when I look down, it reminds me of the apple dolls....all crinkled and concaved.....what a mess.....May never look in the mirror!!! love ya, h.

PS:  Last night it hit us both hard when Pat & I were hugging goodnight.  It felt so empty..
    I was so full. I had to scrunch down to feel her chest on mine.... that was an aahaa moment....
    then it was over... she said "think about recon" but I said NOPE! I'll just scrunch down....
    he, he, he....

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 4:43pm
    Helen I had tnbc on the right side, age 56 then 4 yrs later at 60 on the left side, a new primary.

I had a dbl mx at second dx and did 6 taxotere.  Please contact me if I can help in any way.
    I keep getting thrown off here so try a PM or a PM thru fb, all my best wishes, xx

Edited by trip2 - Jun 22 2011 at 4:51pm
    Stage 2 2003
    Stage 1 2007
    BRCA 1+
    dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2011 at 10:54pm
    Helen, your apple dolls will look better eventually and you'll get used to the 'remodeling job'.  Mine still look like hell but strangely I've come not to mind.  I couldn't look in the mirror for a long time, but now I look and think 'whatever!' (channeling my inner 14 year old).    Congrats on being done with the surgery.  How big was the tumor?  What do you plan on doing, treatment-wise?
    love,
    d
    DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
    Raine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2011 at 2:54am
    I had TNBC left side @42 and in the right at 51, Have since found out am BRCA1 so have now had BMX and total Hysterectomy.  Just got to 5 years from my 2nd DX
    Raine
    Dx Jan 1997 Medullary,6/14 nodes Lumpectomy, Rads & 6xAC
    Dx July 2006 IDC, 29/34 nodes, Mastectomy, 4xFEC and 6xTaxol, Rads

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2011 at 9:07am
    Raine:
    Bless your heart! So sorry you have had to go through all this twice.....

We try so hard to keep clear but for whatever reason, it is not to be until we make the decision to do the bilateral mx.  Me too!

I am so thrilled to hear that you are now five years out! That does my heart really well. Thanks so much for sharing with me/us! Bless you in New Zealand and wherever you are on your life journey!
    Hugs from Canada, Helen in NS

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2011 at 9:14am
    Denise:
    No word yet on the pathology but I return to the surgeon on the 6th of July and hopefully it is all back then. 

Yesterday was the first day that I felt half decent! I had the drains removed on Wed and since then the pockets under my arms have been very swollen most of the day.  I found that when I slept, they went down.  Now they have gone down quite a bit but by the time evening rolls around, they fill back up.  Not as bad though.  I slept with ice packs under my pits and arms raised over my head to get relief.  Oh my, thank God for yesterday and this am it is not too bad.  My ribs are so very sore as well as the upper chest area.  The surgeon went right down to the chest wall so I have quite a gap.  I did realize yesterday that he had to leave these pockets so that I have range of movement in my arms.  Guess all will be well in the end too.  The scars are bad but knowing that I have done all I can, makes it ok.  I too feel like 14 again.....I am not sure where all the boobs came from after my 40's...???

God Bless you Denise for your sharing and caring as you do here on our foundation!
    Hugs from NS, h.
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic