FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TNBC - over 55

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
memeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TNBC - over 55
    Posted: May 31 2011 at 5:56pm
I'm new to this forum and am wondering if there are any ladies with tnbc who are over 55.  I am 68 and understand that most tnbcers are young women. 
I have just had 3 tx of the DD AC and am so weak after this last tx - wondering if everyone has this same se.  A friend had told me that she worked thru her chemo (not tnbc - and she is in her 30s), but I had entered this with the expectation that I might be nauseous and tired, but was not prepared for the extent of the fatigue.  Maybe my friend is just tougher than me - but just wondering??

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 7:32pm
Hi Memeb,

It's true TNBC strikes many young women, however, it also strikes women of all ages.  I was 49 when diagnosed.  There are many women on this forum who are over 55.  Hopefully they'll stop by to say hello.  Chemo is tough and we all experience the side effects differently.  I also think as we get away from treatment, we forget how hard it was.  An analogy is childbirth.  It's painful while we're going through it, but somehow our bodies and mind allows us to forget about it after it's happened.  Otherwise, no one would have the second child!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 7:39pm
Hi, lots of us out there over 55, so many in fact that I often wonder who the guy was who put those stats together! Unfortunately there are many young women who come here, but once here, we're one for all and all for one!
  Welcome!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 7:53pm
Hi, Memeb,

I was diagnosed at 59.  I did four rounds of TC every 3 weeks, but there is no way I could have worked during that time.  (Maybe during the 3rd week, but I would have been dragging, I'm sure.)
I have a teacher friend in my age group who did 4 AC and 4 T, every other week.  She had chemo on Thursdays and went back to work the following Tuesday.  I am still amazed at her strength.  My advice would be to take it as easy as possible and remember that this too shall pass.  I wish you the best.

Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 8:34pm
Welcome Memeb,
I was diagnosed at age 67, my sister at age 60 and my niece at age 38. Yes, that 3 in my family with TN with me being the last one diagnosed. My niece & sister both elected to have lumpectomies, chemo and radiation. Because of the family history (all negative for BRCA), I elected to have a bilateral mastectomy followed by chemo. Chemo was very hard on me also. I ended up being hospitalized after my last 2 treatments (taxotere & cytoxan).

My niece has been cancer free for 12 years, my sister for 11 years and it's been 3 years for me. TN is no respecter of age as you can see. I think Donna & Charlene gave you some good advice. The symptoms of chemo vary with everyone. Do take care of yourself and give yourself permission to be self indulgent. Most of us have spent our lives taking care of children, husbands & others and this is definitely the time to put yourself first.

May God bless you through this journey,
Hugs from Texas,
Genie
DX 3/10/08 at age 67, IDC. Stage 1, Grade 3, 1.5 cm.
KI-67 99% at MX . Bilateral mastectomy 4/1/08 Node-, BRCA 1/2-,BARD1+, TX:Cytoxan/Taxotere x4,3 in family with TNBC
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 9:07pm
Hello Memeb,
You are not the only "ole fogey" diagnosed with TNBC. I was 65 when diagnosed. I turned 70 this past January. I was working full time when diagnosed, but took 6 1/2 months off of work. There was no way I could have worked. After diagnosis I had a mastectomy on my left side. 1 lymph node was affected. You will see that I had 4 DD A/C and then 4 DD taxol and gemzar.

Actually Genie who posted above me is my "twin sister". Well, we pretend we are. Same age, both been married 50 years and I think we resemble each other a lot.

Fatigue is normal and after all, we deserve a break. Be kind to yourself and keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2011 at 11:41pm
On the fatigue thing, I must have been an exception. I had so much energy and didn't sleep more than 4 hours a day the whole time. I had to drive for the first 3 weeks every week 7 hours round trip to get to the doctor for infusions and never had a bit of a problem. I worked the whole time I was getting treatment. I think they slipped something in my pre meds because it was just nutty!

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 1:15am
Dear Mainy,

yes, I believe you were an exception...but then again you are an exceptional woman...you truly are..we are blessed to have your smarts and support..

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 9:19am
Dear Mainy,

I am thankful that you were spared the fatigue. Having to drive for treatment would have been difficult if you had a lot of fatigue. Maybe they slipped some extra go-juice into your chemo concotion.

Yes, I always enjoy your posts. You give us lots of good information and food for thoughts.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
judylynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judylynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2011 at 11:11pm
Newbie,

I am 59 and was diagnosed in August with metaplastic, triple-negative, breast cancer.
TN metaplastic breast cancer; had mastectomy; completed chemo and radiation
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 9:13am
Hi Judylynn,

Welcome to the TNBC site. I bet you've figured out by now that this is a friendly, caring, loving, knowledgeable, group of ladies from early 20's to 80 something.
I'm sorry you need to be here, but so glad you found us. Please continue to post and let us know of your success.

God Bless,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 9:14am
OOPS Judylynn,

We also have friendly, caring, loving, knowledgeable men on this site also.

Sorry Steve.

Love,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 9:27am
Hi everyone,
I am too an oldie but goodie....I was diagnosed at 66 and I am a almost 3 yrs survivor.

I want to take this opportunity to invite you all to the Spiritual Support thread if that is something you might be interested in. We are group of loving caring encouraging prayer warriors. You can share your feelings about anything favorable or un. We hope to see you there.
Love and prayers,
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
Karen O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 10:34am
I was 56 when diagnosed; lumpectomy, A/C and taxotere, and radiation.  Recurrence in December 2010, Stage IV bone mets and skin/gladular mets on chest.  Tried Xeloda and Gemzar (no results) but that's all they could give me because I had an extravasation of my medi-port and it took 10 weeks to heal.  Now on Navelbine, and it has been responding but as soon as I go on my "off' week, it comes charging back.  Just had 6 month scans/MRI, and most areas are relatively stable, with some new lesions on hip, left mandible, some extension in my spine (t-3-6 instead of t-3-4 in December) and two on skull.  Since I've done so well on the "Navy Bean" with great blood counts and few, but manageable side effects, they are extending my dose cycles to 4, or even 5 weeks before a week off, as long as my counts stay good.  I will also be referred to the Baylor/Sammons Cancer Center in Dallas (Dr. Joyce O'Shaunessey) soon for the extended PARP trial they are enrolling.  And of course, will have more rads to spine area now, and maybe jaw.  I'm so thankful nothing is showing up in organs!! 

I just turned 59 in May, and I'm still working full time.  Everyone resonds in their own way to cancer and chemo, and we all just need to take it a day at a time and rejoice in all that God gives us and  that his hand is constantly upon our shoulder.  For if God stands with me, who can stand against me?
Stage III ICD/TNBC 9/07; lumpectomy A/C/Taxotere+rads; Stage IV bone mets 12/10. Xeloda and Gemzar, no good. On Navelbine + rads
memeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote memeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 10:39am
Hello to All!  Thanks to all of you for replying and for your uplifting comments!  It is good (and very sad) to know that there are more of us"oldie but goodies" going down this road.  But I feel like it is good to talk with others in the same age group who are in the same condition, so THANKS for your help!
I saw the Onc yesterday, and found out I was dehydrated so got IV fluids and nausea meds and am feeling better today. 
It is so good to hear from you sweet ladies who have passed the 3 yr mark and still going strong - that gives me such hope!  I WILL make it thru this, but definitely want to continue to draw strength from all you new sisters in the cause! 
{{{{HUGS}}}}
MemeB
Karen O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 11:03am
Sorry you had to get dehydrated...DEFINITELY drink a LOT when you're on the A/C stuff... !!!  Push that water down daily!  It flushes the toxicity out of your system faster too.   Never hestitate to ask questions; as the saying goes, we've all "been there, done that" and we all have great advice/remedies/what worked for us for you to try.    And most of all, we all have great HUGS to give each other !!
Stage III ICD/TNBC 9/07; lumpectomy A/C/Taxotere+rads; Stage IV bone mets 12/10. Xeloda and Gemzar, no good. On Navelbine + rads

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2011 at 11:06am
memeb, the dehydration thing is a big thing, I'm so glad that was caught early on for you!
  What I didn't mention before was I have felt that all of us, but the older ladies moreso I think, find that 'fixing' things takes longer than they did when we were spring chickens! I found that during and after chemo my thyroid was out of sync and it literally took a year for that to more or less shake out and even now it can still fight me.
  After chemo my muscles were basically non existent and it has taken forever to get them even sort of up to speed, none of that work out for a month or so for me, it's taken a couple of years!
  So what I've learned is to go at things slowly, try and treat your whole body not just the aches and pains that hang around after treatments because sooner or later it all comes together.
  I go in next week for my checkup, I'm 2 months late going because the mountain pass has been closed and I have to say I have a fair amount of anxiety to see how I'm doing...I chastise myself for 'being weak' but then I just feel guilty so there's nothing more to do but just get it over with. In July it will be 3 years since dx. It seems like forever.

Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 1:28pm
Karen O
Please come join us at Spiritual Support thread. It's not a replacement for other threads, just an add to....Love and Prayers, Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
Karen O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2011 at 1:59pm
Thanks, Carol!  I do go 'lurk' in there... it's very uplifting, and I enjoy the posts.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2011 at 5:29am
I know i'm late on this post but i was 52 at diagnosis and post menopausal. I stayed pretty "wired" through all of it and was actually walking 5 miles every evening after my surgery and through chemo and i had never been an exercise person before. Maybe it was just my body's reaction to everything that was going on...I certainly don't walk 5 miles anymore in this south Florida heat. I only remember being really tired a few times during treatment but these days i certainly give myself plenty of permission to rest as I like so many woman hold this family together. 

This may not seem funny but one day our 26 year old son said, "Mom, the only good thing i can think of about your cancer and treatment is that Dad is sure doing more around the house than he ever has done." I had to laugh!

Married 33 years with two sons age 26 and 28
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic