FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survivors Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kitkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Survivors Needed
    Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 10:34pm
Could we have a post for all the survivors out there.  I read alot of these post and sometimes it feels as if we are waiting or watching of the cancer to come back, and so many has had it come back.  If we could just see how many are out there that have beaten this!!!  I only know one girl who had this cancer and she will have her 5 year anniversary this august.  Other then her, I know No one personally.  Except for all of you here....you are all I have.  Just wanting more hope.

Dx 6/10 IDC stage 1Tc  1.3cm  lumpectomy  4xTC 25 rad. with 7 boost tumor site  clear cat and bone scan 12/10, going tomorrow 3 mo check up and results on scans last week.  hopin and prayenBig smile
bondande View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bondande Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:14am
I am 2 years and counting.  Those that have been NED for long periods of time probably don't check in here as they have moved on but I am sure with the lingering fear of it's return.  I will never take my health for granted again.  Not quite as happy go lucky as I once was.  But certainly more grateful. When you have God you have hope.    Blessings to you,
Bonnie
age55,Stg2a,Gr3,3.8cm tumor,mod.rad.mast.lft brst3/4/09,4ac,4taxol,33 rads.done11/2/09.BRCA1+oophorectomy1/5/2010,mast.rt brst 2/18/10,NED,bonescan 8/16/10,NED,catscan11/29/10NED catscan 3/17/11 NED
elfdream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote elfdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:47am
Wow. I just this moment joined this forum for this very reason. My first post is over in the intro thread.  I am an eight year survivor. I had three small tumors, the largest at 2.4 centimeters, one was was barely a spot on the screen and involvement in three lymph nodes. Stage II A. I have as of yet had no reoccurences.

You are right about moving on. I even forgot my diagnosis/surgery date this year! I hope all of you will reach that point.

However I do not live in fear of it returning. When I was first diagnosed a survivor specifically said "You cannot live in fear of it returning' no more than you should constantly live in fear of being in a car crash or getting hit by a bus. It took me a while to reach that point but I finally got there.

I understand that most of you are in survival mode right now. That tunnel vision is that focused completely on getting better but soon the day will come when you wake up from that and learn to live your life again. It will not be as it was before. It some ways it will be better believe it or not because you will have new attitudes about so many things and things will not be taken for granted.
Eileen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eileen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 8:57am
I am a 3 year survivor. I still worry when I hav a doctors appointment or mammo coming up. I am trying to live each day.
Eileen
DX:2/08,3/08 lumpectomy with SNB, clear margins, no lymph node involvement, 4 cycles A/C (dose dense) every 2 weeks, 4 cycles Taxol (dose dense) every 2 weeks, 33 rads finished 9/08, BRCA 1 and 2 neg
Olivia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Olivia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 9:15am
Kitkat ~ I have close to the same stats as you. I'm not happy that there's someone else in my shoes but it's comforting to know that someone else understands how I'm feeling. WE are survivors! We have been cleared and we don't have cancer! I believe that. It's the only way to truly live past the fear. I draw my strength from God and reading his word. Phillipians 4:13 says We can do all things through Him. I remind myself of that everyday. I've decided to live for each day I'm given and I'm smiling more everyday, finally.

Elfdream ~ That is comforting to know. I hope others will stop to post and give us more encouragement. Thank you for sharing.

Gail
34yo Metaplastic TNBC 06/10 stage I grade 3 Taxol x6 AC x4 Bilat Mast with recon 0/2 nodes no rads 01/11 NED
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 9:38am
Hello Elfdream and welcome.  Thank you so much for sharing your story and congratulations on your eight years.

I am out 7 years but have had tnbc twice during that time.

We have had several long timers come back to post, they come and go but have gotten
busy with life again.  There is a thread here, more than one I think, try the search box, long time survivors or something similar, lots of posts.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 3:18pm
I'm 2 years this week from finishing up chemo and this July will be my 3 yr anniversary from original dx. Each day seems to get better, it's a slow process but I couldn't have come as far as I have without the support and friendship of the members here.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Alison41 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 4:17pm
I am a 2 and half year survivor will be 3 years clear in October.  I live each day as it comes, like most women on this site reoccurence is always in the back of your mind, but I have my three beautiful daughters and a husband who get me through each day.  One daughter is quadraplegic and brain damaged so I count myself privilaged to be chosen to look after her so cancer has not room in my life.

I was saying to my friend today who has breast cancer it is an inconvenience in my life.  Support here has been paramount in getting me through my darkest days in the early stages.

Many thanks to all.

Alison
diagnosed Sep08,TNBC IDC 5cm tumour, 1+ node, Mastectomy and Axilla dissection May09, 4 of Fec and 4 of Taxotare. 15 Rounds of Radiotherapy. 2.5 years from diagnosis. Reconstruction November2010.
Kitkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2011 at 6:02pm
Thank you so Very much!!  And congratulations on your anniversary'sssssss!!!

Just got back from my 3month check up..Cancer Free..YESSSS!!

I guess I worry because so many of you have the same stats as me, but have had more aggressive chemo.  That's what reallt scars me. Thank you  all for responding, if really does help :)

Dx 6/10 age 49 IDC grade 3 clear nodes (2 removed) 4x TC 25 radiation, with 7 boost ( I had a 1 millimeter margin on my chest wall, tumor was at the bottm of my chest, about 1 inch from the center of my chest....not where you would think breast cancer would be?)) My surgeon said it had been there awhile..scarey!!
sharon in Mich View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharon in Mich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 12:27pm
Hi--I am just celebrating my 6 year post dx NED today.  Hang in there everyone.  A lot of us make it--more and more as they learn more thanks to this foundation.

Sharon
dx 03/05 tn with lymph involvement, dd neo adjuvant AC+taxol, bil 08/05, 38 rads, BRCA-, NED.
Neal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 2:34pm
I will be 3 years this Sept.  and have days now when I "forget" about cancer completely for short periods of time. You never forget totally but it does get better with time. Those days of crying for hours on end seem like a long time ago. Life seems so much sweeter now too and little things do not effect me like they used to. On to fighting osteoporisis now!!! Just lay down the what if's and try and live every day to the fullest and remember it is out of your hands.
DX 09/29/2008 Tn Grade 3 2A 2M/Lumpt. 10/08 SN Negative
ACT/Avastin Trial Placebo/Rad. NED Age 53---2 Sons
BreastFree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 2:58pm
I want to know when you count from? The date the lump was found? The Date my breasts left? Or when I finished treatments? What date you all use? July it will be my 3 yr. since  finding the lump.

I'm Breast-Free By Choice!
Aug.2008 TNBC Surgery Left Breast & 27 Lymph Nodes 3 Positive , Oct.2008 8 rounds of Chemo,May 2009
28 Radiation,Sept.2009 had right breast removed.
denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 3:42pm
My onc says to count from the day of surgery.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 3:55pm
Thank You Denise!!
Aug.2008 TNBC Surgery Left Breast & 27 Lymph Nodes 3 Positive , Oct.2008 8 rounds of Chemo,May 2009
Alison41 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alison41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 4:07pm
Does the day you count from ie. the day of surgery if you have that first or do you count from the day your chemo finished.  I had neoadjuvant chemo so when I had surgery the tumour was almost gone apart from 2mm.  My onc counts from the day I was diagnosed.
diagnosed Sep08,TNBC IDC 5cm tumour, 1+ node, Mastectomy and Axilla dissection May09, 4 of Fec and 4 of Taxotare. 15 Rounds of Radiotherapy. 2.5 years from diagnosis. Reconstruction November2010.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BreastFree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 5:33pm
See everyone has a different one! So I don't what date to use.
denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:00pm
I would just ask your doctor about it. Mine says from the day I had my tumor removed.
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:50pm
mine says the last day of treatment... i would prefer day the tumor was removed...
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 6:59pm
My doctor told me to count from the day of my mast (after chemo) but the thread I started here last month that gave stats for us was using date of dx. Be sure to always check the wording, sometimes you'll see 'survival rate' sometimes you'll see 'recurrence'. I'll go back and look up thread for ya.  Couldn't find the thread, but here's an article, scroll on down to Survival Analysis

Edited by mainsailset - Mar 29 2011 at 7:20pm
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
grandma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote grandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2011 at 8:16pm
Hi - I am new here and am not sure how I found this website but perhaps I was supposed to find it for you. I, too had Triple Negative breast cancer in 1988. I was 38 years old and had just had my fourth child. We found the tumor while being discharged from the hospital after having our daughter and almost didn't go to the doctor thinking it must be an infected milk duct or something.Turned out to be 3 cm ductal and after aspiration (with no good results) the surgeon sent me to the hospital and within one week of having our daughter I had a mastectomy and started chemo  3 weeks after that. There were no lymph nodes involved which surprised everyone but  the surgeon told us that due to the size and location of the tumor he thought I had about 5 years.Seems that surgeons weren't very touchy-feely back then!! I prayed to see my daughter grow up and this January she graduated from nursing school and passed her state boards to be an RN. She will be married in October to a wonderful boy - we also have two perfect grandchildren!! Life is still good. I am cancer free and have been since the operation although we also went through years of 6 month check-ups and waiting and hoping after every test. I really think that was the worst part. But now I can truly say that days go by and I don't think of cancer at all!!

YOU CAN MAKE IT AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY AGAIN! It sounds impossible, I know, but believe that there is a future for you and the ones you love. God is beside you. I will pray for you and everyone who is dealing with this illness that  soon you will not think of yourself as a victim because you  ARE A SURVIVOR!! God bless you and your loved ones.
grandma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 25>
  Share Topic