FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survivors Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 9:07pm
Natalie,

Two new breast cancer genes emerge from Lynch syndrome gene study

Researchers at Columbia University Irving Medical Center and NewYork-Presbyterian have identified two new breast cancer genes. Having one of the genes—MSH6 and PMS2—approximately doubles a woman's risk of developing breast cancer by age 60.

The study, in collaboration with GeneDx, a genetic testing company, was published online today in Genetics in Medicine.

The two genes were previously known to cause Lynch syndrome, an inherited condition that raises the risk of colorectal, ovarian, stomach, and endometrial cancer. Lynch syndrome is the most common inherited cause of colorectal cancer, accounting for about 3 percent of newly diagnosed cases. One in 440 Americans has a gene variant that causes Lynch syndrome.

Researchers had suspected that Lynch syndrome genes may also cause breast cancer. Some studies had found a link, whereas others had not.

"People with Lynch syndrome aren't thinking they may also be at risk for breast cancer," said Wendy Chung, MD, PhD, the Kennedy Family professor of pediatrics (in medicine) at Columbia University Irving Medical Center, clinical geneticist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia, and the study's senior author. "Given the fact that genomic analysis is becoming more common in patients with a personal or family history of cancer, we have an opportunity to do more targeted breast cancer screening in women who carry any of the genes associated with risk for this disease."

The researchers analyzed a database of more than 50,000 women who had undergone multi-gene hereditary cancer testing between 2013 and 2015. Of these, 423 women had a mutation in one of the four genes that cause Lynch syndrome: MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, and PMS2.

Additional analyses revealed that women with a mutation in two specific Lynch syndrome genes—MSH6 and PMS2—had a two-fold higher risk of breast cancer compared to women in the general population.

Based on the incidence of cancer in the study population, the researchers calculated that about 31 to 38 percent of women with cancer-causing MSH6 and PMS2 variants will develop breast cancer, compared to around 15 percent of women in the general population.

"The new study suggests MSH6 and PMS2 should be added to the list of genes to screen for when there is a history of breast cancer," said Dr. Chung, who is also director of the clinical genetics program at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia. "Screening for these genes also would give these families potentially life-saving information to prevent colon cancer by encouraging individuals with the genes to increase the frequency of their colonoscopies."

Currently, testing for Lynch syndrome genes is generally only done when someone has a personal or family history of colon or uterine cancer.

https://m.medicalxpress.com/news/2018-01-breast-cancer-genes-emerge-lynch.html

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 9:10pm
Natalie,

You can ask if they tested you for Lynch Syndrome.  If positive for a mutation, they may recommend frequent colonoscopies (every 1 to 2 years).  Colonoscopies would be preventative.  Also, they may recommend a preventative hysterectomy since there is a link to some gynecological cancers.

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 9:40pm
Thank you very much Donna.
I have the link and will be sharing with my oncologist, I will call and make appointment in near future to investigate further.
If I weren't tested it may be a hard sale since the testing is usually done on those with colon or uterine cancers (mine was precancerous), and also the fact that I now only have NYS Medicaid.
Thank you again, you have been a wonderful resource for all of us.
Natalie
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 10:38pm
Natalie,

You are so welcome and I hope you can get some answers.  There is a genetic test that is very affordable, called Color Genetic Testing.  There have been some threads talking about this expansive test that is very affordable.  The test costs $249.

Falcon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2018 at 2:49pm
Sister was dx at age 32 will now be 67 this February!

Daugher was dx at age 32 will be 41 this March!
My daughter Jessica
Treated and Healed!!!!!
kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 9:09pm
Dear All,

All day I have been thinking about the best way to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of me finding my breast cancer, and 3 weeks later hearing "you have triple negative breast cancer."

I  am well, and often forget that I went through the grueling 8 months of treatments..that did land me in the hospital for 8 days (after round 3 of TAC)....but, I'm hear to say it was all worth it!!!

I have lived to:

Celebrate 35 years of marriage
See both sons graduate from college - one now with a doctorate
Continue to work as a nurse
Enjoy music ~ especially bluegrass : )
...and so much more

Hang in there, and if you were lucky enough to find your cancer early, thank God/your lucky stars/the Universe....

Love to all,

Kathy

Found Lump, 2/8/08
Bx IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, TN
Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection 3/11/08
4/33 positive nodes
TAC x 4, AC x 1
RT x 33-finished 10/14/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
Falcon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 7:22pm

My sister is now over 20 years a BRCA1 survivor and my daughter is also BRCA1 survivor for 8 years.

My daughter Jessica
Treated and Healed!!!!!
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 8:59pm
Thanks for the wonderful update Falcon!!!!!

hugs and love,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
vickyann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vickyann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2018 at 8:57pm
I remember like it was yesterday finishing Chemo and the fear of cancer returning.
If I went to a movie they would advertising a Christmas or summer blockbuster and I would wonder if I would be alive. It is very scary. Everyone has supported you thru chemo and everyone thinks....yeah it’s over..... The fear is just beginning for you. Let me add you have been sick and haven’t been thinking about the future. Your only thought is getting thru chemo....

NOW for the good news...... Hakuna Mata the kids movie..it means no worries for the rest of your life.... in other words..worrying is a waste of time..... if it’s 3 years you have ahead or 50. Don’t use your days in fear. Be happy, positive, and you will feel better....trust me...
I am an 11 year TNBC survivor.
Vickyann
Dx Christmas/07
Stage2 Grade 3
no nodule braca neg
lung nodule no growth
TAC x 6 no rad
finished chemo June 08 reconstruction 12/09
TripleTip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TripleTip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2018 at 6:58pm
It's been almost 11 years since diagnosis and 10 years since treatment completion! (I did go on after pondering my BRCA2+ status to having a BMX/reconstruction)
I just wanted to check-in since I'm still here    Maybe it's time I lose that extra 40 pounds...

Lump discovered May 07
Stage IIa, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, SNB, 2/5 nodes +
4 DD A/C, 10/12 Taxol
Radiation 28 with 5 boosts
BRCA2+
PBM with free TRAM, Salpingo oophorectomy Dec 08
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2018 at 4:40pm
Hello Sisters,

It has been a few years since I posted on the TNBC site, so I though I owe some of you an update.

On June 9, 2018 will make 12 years since I was diagnosed with TNBC.  I feel obligated to share this wonderful news with all.  When I came on this site in 2009, I received so much help from so many sisters.  I hope my story will give hope and courage to many.  Actually I formed friendships here that are still in place to this very day.  It is a wonderful site, and I have missed it.  I've had a lot of changes in my life during this last 11 1/2 years, and I am confident that God gave me the strength to face the changes because of having breast cancer.  We all know that it is a battle and we have to summon all the courage we can.  It makes us stronger.
Love,
Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2018 at 9:34am
I have been so worried about you, my cancer twin thank you so much for posting, it made my day!
I'm so sorry you've been facing tough times Lillie. You've been the most positive force here since I joined all those years ago. Your faith, kindness and positivity has always been a source of inspiration for me. We've truly been blessed by your presence.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2018 at 9:52am
Thank you Kellyless for your sweet message.  My husband died in Aug. 2014.  That created the tough times I have experienced, but I am now in a better place, Thank God.  So glad I could make you day, as you have made mine.
Love,
Lillia
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2018 at 1:48pm
Lillie

You were an inspiration to me also. I have prayed for you daily for several years since you posted your husband died   Its nice to know God is helping you. I also feel the cancer helped me face challenges. Thanks for posting. I was wondering how things were.
It will be 8 years for me in May. Just had my checkup and mammo. All good.
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2018 at 9:26am
Dear snugltz,
So good to hear from you.  Thank God for your good checkup and mammo.   I am living life without my sweet Donald and it is difficult in different ways at different times.  My adult children have been so good to me and I to them also. 
Yeah! 8 years NED, CongratulationsHug
Love,
LillieHeart
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
darcyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darcyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2018 at 7:38pm
Hello,

It is so good to see so many here with multiple years of being Cancer free. I just celebrated 2 years myself.   

Yeah us!!!

Darcy
IDC with extensive squamous differentiation,1.5cm,stage 1,Grade 3,Ki-67 25%,TNBC
TX-TC q21 days x4, Neulasta x3,mastectomy 3/1/16. dx's 10/15 age56
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 9:49am
Dear Darcy,
Congratulations on your 2 years NED.   I remember that time in my recovery and longing to hear success stories. That is why I am still posting. It is not easy to stay positive, but as time goes by it gets easier. God Bless

Lillie

Edited by Lillie - Mar 19 2018 at 9:50am
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 7:54am
Hello Lillie!
It is so wonderful to see you post about how many years you have had as NED
I am still so sorry about Donald's passing. I know he was the love of your life, your companion and your best friend.

Love,
Blair
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
lindakay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lindakay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 10:17am
Hello, Im new to this site, I was just diagnosed with Triple Negative, dont have my stage or anything yet, ready for the ride, I guess...

Prayers for all of us.

Linda
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 10:46am
Hello Lindakay,

I love your name. One of my best friends in school was Linda Kay.  So glad you came to the TNBC site to share your story.  Expect a lot of love and help, in many ways, from the ladies on this site.  When you get the complete story of your diagnoses, please share and we are here to give you assurance that you are not in this battle alone.  We are here to encourage, answer questions and so many other things for you.  So sorry you are facing this diagnoses. You are in our prayers.

Love,
LillieHeart
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
No Rads.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 22232425>
  Share Topic