FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survivors Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2017 at 11:00pm
Shirl4414,

It's so hard to transition to the new normal after treatment ends.  We have no adjuvant therapy and the worry is always there.  It does get easier as the years go by, but almost impossible those first few years.  Try to do the things that make you happy and stay busy.  I think your surgeon meant that recurrence peaks around year two.  Here's a link discussing the subject 

Analysis of pattern, time and risk factors influencing recurrence in triple-negative breast cancer patients.

Chart of Time from Diagnosis:

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Tamara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 7:21am
October 15, 2014 I received my last chemo treatment - I am a 3 year survivor. Praise God!!
Roxy1964 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxy1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 12:16pm
🤚 I'm here 🤚🤛💪🏼💕 I was dx'd with triple negative cancer April 2008. I had lumpectomy, chemo & radiation. I'm still cancer free. Not a day goes by that I don't fear recurrence, but I do try not to get depressed & scared like I used to. I was diagnosed on my 44th birthday 🎉 woohoo what a birthday present, right? Don't get too down, I think there are way more triple negative survivors out there than we ever hear about.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 4:04pm
Dear TNBC Foundation family,

Happy to report that my daughter, diagnosed at age 36 with TNBC, will turn 50 in May, and is NED. 

Can others please post. Your stories offer much needed hope/encouragement!

with my love to all here,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Roxy1964 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roxy1964 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2017 at 11:38pm
Wonderful news!
rosewater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2017 at 11:07pm
Hi Everyone,

I don't come on this forum very often anymore, but when I was diagnosed, and all through my first two years following diagnosis, this site was a lifeline for me.

I am currently 3 years and 9 months since my diagnosis!

XO
DX IDC TNBC 03/14 age 40, Stage 1, Grade 3, 2cm, 0/4Nodes, lumpectomy 04/14, DD A/C x4, Taxol x12, Carboplatin x2, BMX 10/14, rads x28 Finished Jan 14/15, Oopherectomy Jan 29/15 BRCA 2+
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2017 at 12:31am
Thanks for posting rosewater..

delighted you are doing well!!!!

warmly,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
rosewater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosewater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2017 at 1:19am
Thank you, Steve!!! :)
DX IDC TNBC 03/14 age 40, Stage 1, Grade 3, 2cm, 0/4Nodes, lumpectomy 04/14, DD A/C x4, Taxol x12, Carboplatin x2, BMX 10/14, rads x28 Finished Jan 14/15, Oopherectomy Jan 29/15 BRCA 2+
wcnewyearbaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wcnewyearbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2017 at 8:00pm
I am now 5 years since dx with stage 2A. 2.5 cm multifocal tumor in my right breast. I was dx November 2012, mastectomy and immediate implant January 21, 2013. 4 doses of adrymyicin and cytoxin, then 12 weekly taxol. I’m doing great no setbacks other then still trying to lose 20 pounds! I had my checkup yesterday at Duke Cancer Center in Durham NC. I moved from Ohio to Durham after I finished treatment to pursue my career as a licensed nursing home administrator. I didn’t want to wait. I’m still nervous about cancer but each day and month then year it gets better! Duke also told me to come back in a year! First time I’ve heard that since the journey began!! God Bless you all.
DX age 41 on 11/14/12, multi focal medullary carcinoma features 2.5 cm, simple mastectomy right breast 1/21/13, Grade 2, 0/3 lymph node, 4 AC DD and 12 wkly taxol.Finished 6/26/13.
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2017 at 1:40pm
Update

I have great news.  I finished all treatments and headed back into my "annual" mammogram last week.  They used the 3D bilateral imagery.  To be honest, the mammogram process did not hurt as much as I thought it would.  I received my letter in the mail over the weekend with the words "normal mammogram result".  I met with my PCP and she completed my "MD breast exam" which my medical oncologist said I must have done by a doctor every six months.  All good.  My blood work (all the normal stuff) came back great with the exception of a low white blood count (they said that would be the case for the first 18 months post chemo).  I head to my medical and radiology oncologist in January for my six month "oncologist" check up.  I will be requesting a plastic surgeon consult as I have decided to reduce the unaffected breast down to the same size as my affected breast (leveling them out).  I have opted not to have surgery on my affected breast because of the extensive radiation.  

I am posting this because I needed to see something like this last year when I was diagnosed.  Last Christmas I was in surgery, petrified and heading into this chaos.  Most of 2017 I was in treatment from surgery, chemo, RADS, port removal, CT scan and check ups.  I was afraid at the front end of this journey and once the plan was put into motion, I settled down.  My hair is growing back and I have learned to simplify my life.  I don't worry about all the things I used to.  Am I better from this experience?  yes is the honest answer.  I don't know if this helps anyone at all but I wanted to post on the off chance that someone needed to hear this today. 

May God bless you during this time - I know He has blessed me.

Penny 

DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2017 at 10:51pm
10 years later... I am doing fine just fine! I hope this helps! There is life after tnbc.
Hugs to all...
Denise 
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes
snugltz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2017 at 5:42pm
I was diagnosed in May of 2010.Still here 7 1/2 years later I still worry but it gets less.
1 cm, 0/2 neg nodes, lumpectomy 6/16/10, cytoxin/taxotere 4x every three weeks, rad start 11/8 33X
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 8:06am
Haven't been on the blog in a while, hello all!
Diagnosed 2011, 6 years & still here. continued MRIs annually, just had whole body bone scan all clear.
Did have a PET scan November of 2015 which showed I had something in my colon that took up a lot of isotope, was precancerous and 1 foot of colon came out but all clear nodes clear. I delayed going for colonoscopy because I didn't want to drink the sludge, turned out i didn't have to drink the sludge.
What is that?! Been through a war with cancer & other challenges and was afraid of that. Shellshock maybe.
Love & light to all

TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 12:18pm
Natalie,

I know the feeling of shellshock.  Did they test you for Lynch Syndrome?  Do you have to get more frequent colonoscopies?  

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 2:09pm
I just scheduled my first colonoscopy for early February..I could've done it now, but I'm dreading the prep so much. And my December last year was so awful...and..and I'm making up excuses left and right, lol. Thanks for posting, it's made me stiffen my spine and commit to the damn test So glad you're doing well!
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:21pm
Hi all,

First, I'm delighted to read your daughter is a strong survivor for many years, Steve!  That's true awesomeness and inspiration for many!

It will be 6 years since my bilateral mastectomy, which you can see in my stats was in March.   My doctor counts it differently and says I've already bypassed 6 years.  I look at it as the end of chemo which wiped out what Taxol did not.

My very best to all.

xxx
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:52pm
Donna,
I had to look up lynch syndrome, honestly I don't know if I was ever tested. Since it appears to be genetic would that have been one tested with the bread? I know they tested a number of things.
Guess I need to ask huh? But then what preventative would there be anyway?
Yes, my colored talk surgeon said every 3 years, he also said if I ever have any doctor tell me five years then find another doctor
I'm a mess and getting messier every year, now I have a surgical hernia from that colon surgery, same surgeon tells me I need to lose weight (easier said then done)
Also getting epidural shots this Thursday for herniated disc in my neck. Scared!
I keep plugging along though :)
TNBC stage1 size 1.8, grade3 no nodes 4/11 Lumpectomy 5/11 4cycles DD A/C 4cycles DD Taxol. Double Mastectomy 12/11 BRCA all neg
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:54pm
Natalie and Kellyiess,

Not all gastro docs make you drink the Go-lighly, or whatever that huge jug of tear/sea water is called.  Due to some flat and precancerous type polyps versus the more benign that grow on stems,  I'm on an every 3 year schedule.  On my 2nd 3-year colonoscopy my oncologist recommended her new gastro who uses purely OTC prep.  Miralax, Metamucil and Dulcolax.  He does recommend if you're constipated badly to start with a bottle of Magnesium Citrate, but the lemon flavor tastes fine over ice and there's no RX involved.

You might ask your doctors if you could do a similar type of prep.  I understand more gastrointestinal doctors are going this route, at least in my area.

Hope all turned out well for you both!

xxx
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:55pm
Donna,
I had to look up lynch syndrome, honestly I don't know if I was ever tested. Since it appears to be genetic would that have been one tested with the bread? I know they tested a number of things.
Guess I need to ask huh? But then what preventative would there be anyway?
Yes, my colored talk surgeon said every 3 years, he also said if I ever have any doctor tell me five years then find another doctor
I'm a mess and getting messier every year, now I have a surgical hernia from that colon surgery, same surgeon tells me I need to lose weight (easier said then done)
Also getting epidural shots this Thursday for herniated disc in my neck. Scared!
I keep plugging along though :)
Natalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 7:56pm
I had the Mira lax/ ducolax prep.
Not bad at all really.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
  Share Topic