FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Survivors Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lynda65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2017 at 2:41pm
I am a five year breast cancer survivor. First diagnosed 4/2012, second time 10/14. I am 70 years old and here to stay. I figure I will see "90." You have to keep the faith. Be happy and enjoy each day.EmbarrassedSmileWink
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2017 at 8:15pm
I wish the best for all of you. I rarely come on site anymore and generally use my iPad, which doesn't let me post. 

I was dx 17 1/2 years ago at the age of 44. Then, TN wasn't named, they only knew what I didn't have. I read about this site in Oprah magazine and joined shortly afterwards. 

I know what you read sounds scary. Sometimes I think I was lucky because it was all unknown then. I was given standard protocol tx, listed at my signature, which is half of what is generally given now. I only tell you this to give you hope and encouragement. 

Kirby
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
denise07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denise07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 08 2017 at 1:07am
kirby, so nice to hear from you with your kind and wonderful advice! 17 1/2 years amazing! lynda 65 another amazing person two time survivor incredible! Positive people positive thoughts is what we need to hear from kind courageous people like you too!
thank you...
Denise
DX Idc 10/07,st2,gr3,2/6 lymphnodes
bgbanks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 1:59pm
I am a year cancer free. I live and appreciate every day and try not to dwell on the pain and confusion of 2016. My motto is that I may have had cancer but cancer didn't have me!! My mastectomy scars mean I'm alive!! Looking ahead to health and prosperity.
59 year old; Dx: 3/4/2016 w/TNBC in right breast 5.3cm tumor; Stage 11B; Grade 3; 4AC treatments complete/ 4 Taxol complete; Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/31/16 then 33 radiation treatments.
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 5:38pm
Thanks for your post, my wife is about a year also...

Edited by gordon15 - Jul 18 2017 at 5:39pm
wife: IDC/Lobular Stage2B 2008 lumpectomy/TAC+rads
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
PET scan stable 9-2016/ 1-2017
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 6:40pm
Hope this post will give others hope.  I'm 8 years from my first diagnosis - stage 1.  And 6 years from completing treatment for a recurrence - stage 3.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:46pm
My wife and I are also trying to forget the pain and confusion of chemo, then mast, then more chemo, we don't think about scars, but we are older, we try and move on from emotional issues...and rely on PET scans
TNBC Stage 3A/w/metaplastic/squamous Nov2015 Carboplatin-Gemzar chemo/masectomy Taxolchemo+rads 4-16
English Jan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2017 at 6:14pm
Hi Everyone,
Here I am ..  a Florida survivor from 2007 ..10 years and healthy.
I apologize for not writing ... for not giving hope that we  can and do survive/thrive.

No recurrences ... healthy and happy.
I was terribly afraid in the beginning and every twinge I thought it was back.
Even though I had no pain ..go figure!

The chemo whacked me and wiped me out for what seemed like years.
The radiation gave me burns and years later periodic rib tenderness.

My Oncologist told me to stop scaring myself to death reading myths..
I would fax questions to him, so at appt time we could discuss my fears.

Each time I went to my Oncologist I would say "Hi English Jan here, your Triple Negative" .. just to keep it fresh.
Instead of the 5 years , my onc. watched me for 7...he liked me..lol.

Now its just me and my GP ... I'm 63 now .. had a colonoscopy (Family history of colon cancer) in 2014 and had polyps removed.

I have no fear of recurrence any more .. I once asked my Onc. "How do I know I've got rid of cancer?" His glib and helpful reply ... "When you die of something else.".

So I'm planning on dying at 96 from a lobster dinner overdose .... LOL 

So I guess I became .. oh, I don't know .. alive and living a day at a time, me and my family, friends and posse of docs did great .. I know if it comes back, we will tackle it again.

Get your posse of family, friends, docs, and especially our TNBC friends together and hang on.. 
Love to you all
English Jan

FL. 58yrs DX LIDC 8/18/07. 08/23/07 Lump+SNB Node -ve. T2.5cms clear margins, TNBC, Stage 2A Grade 3. 9/18/07 TX Cytoxan+Taxotere.Neulasta.4x3 wks.Rads 30+5 FINISHED 28th Jan 2008.
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2017 at 7:49pm
English Jan: thanks for posting your update that you are stable after 10 years, it's great to hear.

By the way, my wife's doctors are not saying NED anymore, the pathologists aren't either, they say "nothing new" or "stable" ... I really don't think they know if there is evidence of disease, thus they are no longer claiming "NED" (No Evidnce of Disease") That's fine by me, I have no problem with this, doctors are not God.

Edited by gordon15 - Jul 22 2017 at 7:50pm
Cbardar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbardar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2017 at 8:17pm
Mine has come back it's been a year any advise for me. Since yours came back twice.
Cbardar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbardar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by 123Donna 123Donna wrote:

Hope this post will give others hope.  I'm 8 years from my first diagnosis - stage 1.  And 6 years from completing treatment for a recurrence - stage 3.

Donna

Mine has returned and I meet with the doctors on Monday would love to reach out to you. I am really scared
gwendolen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gwendolen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2017 at 11:02pm
Love seeing all the long term survivor testimonies. Really gives me hope!
bearsilu2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearsilu2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 12:15pm
My twin Nancy is 7 years cancer free! She has her appointment this week and has made big changes in her life. We moved from New York to North Carolina and the assortment of BC doctors down here is a joke. We have been proactive, I have not yet been diagnosed (go Barb go Barb) and Nancy is feeling way more positive. Being an identical twin is hard enough seeing your sister get TNBC but we are positive now. We go on vacations, we go to the beach at night to see full moons, and we love our kids even more. Nan spends money like it is nothing lately but we are so so happy the preventive chemo and radiontion has done its work! 
Barbara A. Wild
Identical Twin Sister of TNBC diagnosed 12/2010 stage 2 Grade 3 Lump. 1/2011, Chemo 2/2011, Radiation completed July 2011. 33X
English Jan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote English Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 5:21pm
hi Cbardar,
How are you doing? Whats happened since your last post?
Jan
FL. 58yrs DX LIDC 8/18/07. 08/23/07 Lump+SNB Node -ve. T2.5cms clear margins, TNBC, Stage 2A Grade 3. 9/18/07 TX Cytoxan+Taxotere.Neulasta.4x3 wks.Rads 30+5 FINISHED 28th Jan 2008.
Cbardar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbardar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 06 2017 at 9:54pm
I was diagnosed in July 2017 with recurrence had lumpectomy in August. Pathology report came back 1.1 cm idc no lymph nodes now I am Er-Pr-/Her 2 postive. No one every told me this could happen so I am in shock. Went to get 2 options this time. I live in Columbus Ohio going to the James for treatment ranked 5 for top cancer hospitals in the Us. I am doing 6 rounds of chemo called
TCHP it is rough. Had my 2nd one today first one I ended in the hospital with fever and Uti. Hoping this one is better. Then I will do 30 days if radiation and then a year of Herceptin and Perjeta. Then pray that this will not come back. Thank you for asking about me.
mswow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mswow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2017 at 8:42pm
Hi Cbardar, 

So sorry to hear about your recurrence. I am just reaching the 1 year mark from my diagnosis. Have had chemo, surgery and rads. 

I am curious, how did you realize you had a recurrence?

Wishing you all the best. 

S
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2017 at 9:22pm
We're sorry to hear about your recurrance and am not familiar with the chemo TCHP but trust that your doctors will alleviate the side affects and you will get better soon.
Shirl4414 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirl4414 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2017 at 8:00pm
I am a newly (7 mts) diagnosed TNBC patient.  69 years old.  Diagnosed 3/17/17 with TNBC in right breast, 5.6 cm tumor, stage IIB;  bilateral mastectomy 9/25/17. 
4 A/C
12 Taxol
4 Carboplatin 

Chemo completed 8/31/17.  Starting radiation next week. 

Surgeon said cancer almost always comes back within 2 years.  Go enjoy myself!!

Hard to do; scary.  I would like to hear about more survivors!
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2017 at 12:41am
Congratulations on completing chemo! I and many others found radiation much easier than chemo, I hope that's the case for you. May I ask when they add the Carboplatin to your chemo schedule when you did the A,C and Taxol plus Carb? I originally did A.C. Every 2 wks 4x, then Taxol the same. This second time I did Taxol 1x a week for 12, with Carb added every 3 weeks 4 times. I've a friend recently diagnosed with 1 TNBC tumor and 2 Er/PR + tumors in one breast and she'll be doing all 4 like you have. Did they do the Carboplatin/Taxol like I did, together? I'm worried for her, all 4 altogether scares me :-( It's because Carboplatin was a really tough ride for me I'm sure, but ooof all four seems a lot.
I'm regards to "go enjoy yourself!" , yes, it's tough to do. I'm finding it much much easier to do this time, much more than the first time. It may be that now the worst DID happen. And I just.... Got thru it. I'm now finally truly letting it go. I'm still working to get back as much physical normalcy as I can, but now it's just a "thing" I do - see Drs, have tests, go to PT - outside of that I'm living life, not dwelling on the what ifs anymore. I think I'd been waiting to exhale all those years between occurrences. If there's anyway you can work on letting it go (therapy and antidepressants help many) do it. My husband and I are happy, enjoying ourselves more now than before my first cancer. I guess I wanted to say out loud that your new normal can be great, you can enjoy yourself. It's a worth, achievable goal
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
gordon15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gordon15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2017 at 8:54pm
Shirl4414: My wife had much the same statistics, at 65yrs old when she got TNBC (she got IDC/lobular in 2008 in her other breast but was not Triple Neg)

Her TNBC was about 5 cm, Stage IIIA, she had (4) lymph nodes cancerous but the carboplatin-gemzar chemo killed it (so the pathologist downgraded her stage from IIIC to IIIA) single mascetomy, Taxol chemo and radiation... she is fine now, and it's been about one year....

Fyi the radiation often includes the clavicle area, because there are lymph nodes under there, there, was a warning from my wife's medical radiologist, radio-oncologist, I don't know exactly what he is, but he's more an expert, he said the radiation "could affect the upper lobe outer portion of the lung" which it did, the trauma did occur to the top/outer portion of the lung, it shows up plainly on a PET scan, but it did heal itself, in 6 months, I think my wife had a very slight shortness of breath for about 3 months.

I don't know if TNBC comes back within 2 years. We try not to focus on that, because if it doesn't come back within 3 years, the probabilities start to go down

Yea, it's scary, but we try and block it out...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 25>
  Share Topic