FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chemo # 5 postponed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chemo # 5 postponed
    Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 10:58pm
So good to hear you were able to get away with hubby!

It is all good my dear! Also, so good your brother and dad took over for ya!
You go girl! You are on a roll!  Keeping you all in my prayers......
Hugs, Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
hhhh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2011 at 2:36am
thanks helen Smile ...I actually just got back from a 1.5 week trip with my husband so i feel refreshed and ready to get back to my mama's side! my brother and dad were working overtime taking care of her while i was away but i will start taking over again starting tomorrow. how very lucky you are to have a great daughter. though we good children get a lot of praise, half of it should go to our parents who raised us to be this way! Wink Goodnight.
Daughter of one of the most amazing women in the world...

she was diagnosed 8/2010, had lumpectomy, TAC X 6, rads.

52 yrs, stage 2A (3cm, no nodes), triple neg, grade 3
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 5:04pm
hhh:

Thanks for keeping us updated on your mom's journey and your concerns....
Daughters are so important to us moms! Mine was much like you too! She was by my side all the while.  It was so comforting to know she was there and I am sure your mom feels the same way.

Be sure to take some time for yourself too.  As a caregiver, you are putting out a lot of energy so
don't get run down.  Take your vitamins and eat good foods.  It might be fun to share a different meal each week with each other.  Just some thoughts.
Hugs to you and your mom,
Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 7:33am
hhhh,

I'm hoping the antibiotic clears up the infection quickly and that your mother has little se from the chemo.  Thanks for keeping us posted.

Hugs to you and your mother,

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

hhhh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by steve steve wrote:

good luck to your fabulous mom and good luck to her fabulous daughter..

oh goodness, i'm such a wuss...that brought tears to my eyes. LOL
best of luck to a fabulous husband/father/friend, indeed!

Edited by hhhh - Jan 04 2011 at 11:59pm

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 11:37pm
Dear hhhh,

Thank you for the update and please keep us posted...

Often, it seems it is a judgment call on the part of the oncologist because sometimes it is not crystal clear as to what should be done...

I think what the general public is not aware of at times is that there often is huge difference of opinions amongst oncologists as to e.g. what chemo a patient should have or what treatment would be best for a particular condition..I was at a conference of oncologists recently and a question was posed to the audience and four different choices of treatment given..The responses were almost equally 25% for each choice. I turned to the doc next to me and said..”that’s encouraging, huh?” and he just laughed...but that’s the way it is, at times.

Hopefully, the infection in dealt with and the chemo does what it needs to do..hopefully all will be well.

good luck to your fabulous mom and good luck to her fabulous daughter..

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
hhhh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2011 at 11:28pm
Steve and Donna, just wanted to pop in and thank u guys for your advice and prayers...

In case you are interested in an update, her oncologist and surgeon spoke early last week and decided that she should proceed with chemo whilst also on antibiotics. So that is where she is now...she is taking antibiotics for the fistula and has gone ahead with her 5th chemo. I'm obviously a little on edge about it but so far she seems to be doing alright (hope I don't have to eat my words there).

I wish you both a lovely evening.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2010 at 11:09am
HHHH,

Steve has given you some great information and advice.  With my current treatment my wbc's are low.  My onc told me any sign of infection, fever, cut that won't heal to call immediately and they'll put me on antibiotic.  She said I'm not to wait and try to fight it.  I hope your mom's infection can be cleared up quickly allowing her to heal and continue with her treatment.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2010 at 9:02am
Dear hhhh,

About two years ago a dear friend of mine had surgery for colorectal cancer. I met him at MD Anderson for a second opinion as to whether he should start chemotherapy. He got off the plane and he was dripping with sweat and his first stop was the emergency room where it was determined that he had an anal fistula and Sepsis. He was hospitalized and put on a very heavy duty course of antibiotics via IV and it was several days before he was able to see the oncologist. Sepsis is a very serious condition and one of the contributing causes was his untreated anal fistula.

The following may be helpful-

As a general rule, it is my understanding that conditions that cause infections in the body, need to be dealt with, if possible, when a patient is on chemo and may cause a cessation of chemo. Another friend of mine was on chemo and had incredible pain in his infected gums and a few teeth because he needed root canal work done on an emergency basis. They had to stop his chemo and deal with this. 

The problem, it is my understanding, is that certain chemos can drastically compromise a person's blood counts and therefore their ability to fight infection. At times, women here (and it happens to men as well) undergoing chemo have had their WBC go unacceptably low (a condition called neutropenia) and a specific treatment is put on hold (hopefully short-term) and drugs such as Neupogen or Neulasta given to get the levels backs up to an acceptable level.

Neutropenia link-

Neupogen info-

Neulasta info

If it is determined by your mom's physicians that surgery is the best option to deal with the fistula then I am afraid that there will have to be a hiatus in her chemotherapy...and it's hard to know, precisely, what that will mean specifically. It is not an ideal situation but you may have no other choice. Again, I would be guided by your mom's physicians and not anything I write.

Good luck. I hope the above is somewhat helpful.

Your mom shall be in my prayers that whatever is decided upon is done successfully and she can get back on her chemo protocol.

all the best,
Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
hhhh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 9:47pm
Hi all,

please give me your opinions as i'm very worried...

mom was set to have her 5th chemo this week. however after her 4th chemo, she developed an anal fistula (infection). oncologist called just now and said that he doesn't want to go ahead with chemo until this fistula is taken care of.  the fistula can't be remedied without a full on surgery. so naturally, chemo has to be postponed until she gets the surgery and the incision site seals up. should i be worried about this delay in treatment?? i can't help but be worried and think that all hell will break loose with her cancer unless she gets her treatments on time. 

any advice/experiences/words of wisdom out there?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic