FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Coffee Shop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
Author
Pink Warrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Coffee Shop
    Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:18am
Well, my biopsy was confirmed today.  Yesterday they said it would take 3 days, but, lo and behold, I got the call this afternoon.

My surgeon doesn't have the complete pathology back yet, but she believes it's the same TN as before.  

She recommends mx this time since it's only been a year since my last dx.  This breast seems hell bent on killing me, so it's got to go.  I'm opting to have the right breast removed as well.  At 38 years old, it's just one less thing to worry about for the rest of my life.  She said she would set me up with a plastic surgeon consult the same day I consult in her office next week, but I declined.  My preference at this point is to keep it as simple as possible - and truth be known, I'm tired of having breasts.  They're big and bulky and I figure without them, I can have a new wardrobe of really nice shirts, lose about 10 pounds and be free to stuff as many brand new, lacy Fredericks of Hollywood bras as I want.  LOL  When your breasts are this big, pretty bras aren't an option.

I did find this one sooner.  My last tumor was 2cm - this one is 1cm.  She believes it's very early stage.  I'd sure hope so considering I just had a clean PET on 8/31!!  It doesn't show on my mammo either.

Geeze this crap is relentless.  God bless and keep us all.

Kim

Edited by Pink Warrior - Apr 19 2011 at 5:58pm
Dx:10/09,IDC Stg 2,Gr 3,TN
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
9/11 Skin mets, mediastinal & hilar nodes
Abraxane/Avastin
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:30am
Kim,

I know you must be in a state of shock, especially after having a clean scan.   I'm glad you caught this early.  Well we're both climbing back into the ring again.  This is one battle I'm tired of fighting.  May your surgery go smoothly and your recovery easy.  I'll be praying for you.

Hugs,

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 12:35am
We can tag team it this time, Donna.  Don't be getting tired of fighting!!  

I'll be saying many prayers for you too.  <3
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 10:45am
Hi, Kim.   I'm really sorry about the news - ick, this cancer is a real b*tch.   I think you'll feel more secure with both breasts gone.  I know I have felt better since my surgery in September.   Will you do any sort of on-the-spot reconstruction?   You could do the one-step silicon implants in a small size and have them look decent so long as you don't keep your nipples (my mistake was that I kept mine).    The recovery is fine, really no worse than a plain mastectomy.  
Anyways, we're with you.
Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 9:43pm
I really don't feel the need for reconstruction.  I've hated my breasts for years and would love to have the freedom of not being bound in a bra.  I also like the idea of keeping things simple for now.  I just want to get this beast out of me and move on with my treatment and move on with my life.

I might change my mind later on down the road, but for now, I'm comfortable with my decision.  

BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 10:37pm
Hi Pink Warrior,

I am sorry about your dx.

I didn't see it in your profile...Have you met with a Certified Genetic Counselor..had BRCA testing?

good luck to you..you shall be in my prayers..

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2010 at 11:38pm
Hi Steve.  

I did have the BRCA testing and was both 1 and 2 negative.  I was given the option just after my first dx for the test and told them "absolutely".  

I appreciate the prayers.  I'll take all those I can.  

Kim
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin
Allison View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 12:19am
Dear Pink,

Rest assured that you will be on my prayer list right next to Donna! I wish that there was something more that I can do to help you both. Keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers frequent!

Allison
9/07 IDC, trip neg, BRAC-, Lumpectomy with SNB (all clear) 10/07, FEC & Taxatere 11/07 - 2/08, 32 rads, 3/08 - 5/08.
TNBC_in_NS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNBC_in_NS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 12:29pm

Kim,

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this again! You and Donna are certainly in my prayers daily! I am at a loss as to why this cancer does not show on mammogram/u/s or now PET? How can it be clean in August and then now show 1cm??? I wish the testing was better than it is right now!!!!

My previous u/s showed a 1cm lump and then when recalled for biopsy, the other radiologist said he did not see anything???? So, no biopsy!  Just return in six months he put on the report, but told me to return in three months.... God knows. So, I am just living each day as if.....all is well..
What else can I do but wait until something goes really wrong and then deal with it then..
No promises...

Just know that I am here for ya and I agree about reconstruction right now.  Enough is enough! I would just have the bilateral mx then heal well.......and live life like there is no tomorrow!
Hugs, Helen in NS
Diag@57TNBC04/092.5cm Lquad 05/09 TCx4Radsx30CT03/01/10 FU03/31/10ClearBRCA- 01/2011 RTNBC BMX 06/14/2011~2013 clear
LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 3:48pm
Pink Warrior,

You are in my prayers too, right along with Donna, and I agree wholeheartedly with your thinking.  If mine were to come back locally - off the would come and I would NEVER do reconstruction.  I don't think I know anyone that hasn't had problems of one sort or another due to the reconstruction, and I just figure - who needs it.  I'd be more than happy, as you said, filling my bras with what I felt I needed.  Perhaps because mine are large too, we feel that way.  Right now I have a c cup breast and an overflowing d cup good breast.  I can't get a bra, and am still in sports bras.  My insurance will pay for the surgery to have the good one made smaller, but it's still, finding the time to take a week or so off from work and I still am responsible for the $2,000 surgical deductible.  Ugh!  It's on my wish list, but - who knows if the right time and the extra money will ever be there!

I wish you nothing but the best and will be thinking of you with all good thoughts for a smooth journey.

Linda
Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 6:05pm
Kim I am so sorry you have to deal with this monster again!  Reading about things not showing up in recent scans reminds me of a member who used to post here who said she awoke one morning with a lump the size of a deck of cards, this disease can be so aggressive and move quickly....just so important that we stay on top of things the best that we can.

You can have more surgery down the road if you choose.  Right now if you don't want to deal with it than don't, you have enough on your plate.  I felt the same way when mine came back, enough already.

Let us know how things are going and if we can help..
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 6:23pm
Kim, I had the same attitude about my breasts as you and went ahead with the dm. I have to say, it's a whole new world out there without them, I am absolutely elated! The bra burning was just the first step in the act of freedom and I've never looked back. And I figure that if they keep growing tumors it's a whole heck of lot easier to lop them off than some of the other strange places that these tumors seem to hide out in, so color those girls of yours and their bad habits gone!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Teddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 7:43pm
I just had a local reoccurance and am scared to death.  I was diagnosed aug 09 will 1 tumor 8cm no node involvement.  I had mastectomy and 4 treatments of A/C.   Then had reconstruction in Dec 09.  Had check up in July 10 and was fine,  3 weeks later noticed lump under same arm that I had cancer.  My bloodwork was good and oncologist said it was tendenitis.  2 months later at reg check up he sent me to surgeon who immediately said it need to come out.  They did surgery the next day and removed 7 lymph nodes all malignant.   Pet scan shows only under arm.   I am set to start radiation monday after thanksgiving and then to do 12 Abraxane chemo.    I am petrified.  Seems like everyone on here has had a recurrance.    I am 53.   thanks for listening.
Ethan07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ethan07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 4:11pm
WOW this is crazy!  I can't believe there are some many with a local recurrence, just after a CT or PET scan.   I was told mine was chondritis after a clean CT and tumor markers were clean.    6 weeks later I found a lump and now going through chemo again.  I hope everyone continues to fight this beast.  I know I am .  At 29, having the c twice, it just makes me fight harder!
tninalabama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tninalabama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2010 at 8:16pm
I hope everyone with a recurrence will get the treatment to put the cancers at bay for a good long time. I have my PET scan next monday and hope the radiation got my mets.
Hope for a good outcome for all!!

Pam
Dx 11/07,stII bgr3,1/8+, metaplastic, recurrence 11/09, lymph dis 12/13+ 07/10, rad,x28 9/10,02/11 mets

BRCA neg
5-FMC since 03/12
PET 04/12,no progression
Bone scan clear 06/12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 12:05am
I'm tired from being on the road so much today, but wanted to check in.  I've got to keep in brief for now but I'll post more after I've had some sleep.

My complete pathology was finished when I went in for my bi-mx consult this afternoon.  It is indeed IDC again and also TN.  It's also DCIS - didn't have that the first time.  

Now I have a question because my surgeon said that chemotherapy would be based upon a complete pathology of the breast once it's removed.  She said that chemotherapy may not be warranted?  

I thought in every case of TN, no matter what, that chemo was always used?  Of course, once my surgery is over I'll be consulting with my onc, but WOW.  I can't imagine him saying he wouldn't use it right now.

Help!  Anyone heard of that?

BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 7:44am
Kim,

No I haven't heard that for TN.  Maybe once you meet with your onc, he'll have more answers.  I'd definitely get another opinion if you get the same message. 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

LRM216 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRM216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2010 at 9:33am

That response would not put my mind to ease at all - not with TN.  But remember, that's from the BS.  Mine, a dedicated breast surgeon only, kept telling me that "perhaps" I might not need chemo as I had no nodes and it was ONLY 1.2 cms.!  My oncologist told me she was nuts!!  I think the onc will certainly suggest the right way for you to go.  good luck and keep us posted.

Linda - diagnosed at age 62
Diag 2/23/09 IDC 1.2 cent. IDC right breast,Stage 1, Grade 3,0/1 nodes - Triple Neg
4 DD AC every two weeks, 1 Dd Taxol, then 3 Taxotere every three weeks - rads x 33
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 9:55am
I agree, I too was given the wrong info from my surgeon.  Their focus is surgery, you need to discuss this with an Oncologist.  Have always read chemotherapy is best for TNBC...good luck and let us know!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pink Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 2:13pm
Thanks girls.  I have no doubt that my onc will suggest chemo and I'm perfectly at ease with that.  I knew when I found the lump that I'd be going through it again.  I've had it in the front of my mind for the last 3 weeks.  

It just threw me for a loop when she said that.  Not having DCIS before, I hadn't read as much on it, but figured being TN it wouldn't matter.

Thanks again.  You girls rock.  
BRCA 1&2 -
Partial DD EC/AC
Local recur 11/10
BMX 12/10 Right proph
TC x 4 Rads x 33
Abraxane/Avastin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 49>
  Share Topic