FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HEALTHY DIET

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEALTHY DIET
    Posted: May 23 2010 at 12:24pm
Hi all.......

Yesterday i went with my mum to a nutritionist who is a professional only in Dr.Bary Sears Zone Diet.
He was very strict with what he advised and wrote for daily nutrition.
Something which seems very strange, is that he advise for use dairy products(milk, cheese, etc).
I have read that for cancer , all the dairy products are not recommended.......but if you use small amount of dairy you must choose preferably organic .
The other thing which my mum didn't like and she made her with a lot of stress, is to cut all the bread and not to eat anything. Only in the morning 3 crackers of the zone.
Usually at her breakfast she's havng 2 slices of whole meal bread with little honey, and at night she likes to eat tost with ham and cheese.
The diet is very strict, with no potato, no red mead at all.......no bread.It is an inflammatory diet, but really makes you with a lot of stress, not to eat that and the other.
You have a choise of chicken,rabit and fish for lunch and dinner.
My mum at night doesnt like to eat all these........and i really feel sorry for her because today she started to feel very stresful with the 'correct' diet!

Does your diet forbits, bread, red meat, potato, honey and if no what does include and what is forbiden?
Dairy products are ok for you, do you include them in your daily diet?
As for oil, he told her to use only extra virgin oil for cooking and not any other kind.
Do you eat bread, and what kind of bread? Do you have a limit of using bread daily?

He advise also for using 9 grams of omega 3 fish oil, and i have read in internet that the safe amount of using omega 3 is 3 grams only daily!! Now what to believe??

The other supplement he advise is the AGE RX of the dr. sears zone which includes: Curcumin, Vitamin C and green tea extracts! I don't know if this supplement is safe but i have read that curcumin is very good for all of you as also and the green tea extract. The vitamin c , i don't know if it is safe......

It is really very stresful to be afraid to eat this and not the other....ok i can understand that you have to be careful with the quantity, but i believe if you eat everything in small amounts is safe!!!

I'm waiting for your opinions!!!

All the best to you!!!
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 4:37pm
Hi Tasoulla, I'm going to give you an extra A for effort! You are an angel to try and figure all this stuff out. I like the Sears books but I have a habit of picking and choosing what I can work into my lifestyle.

That said, my sis is a celiac (allergic to wheat & gluten) so she has been after me for years to drop it from my diet. What I grudgingly find is that when I did drop the white flour products and limit the even the whole grain products I have much less joint stress. This is important because after going through chemo our joints have literally been under attack. So for one who is in the chemo recovery stage (which seems to go on forever) I would say cutting out white flour products and limiting whole wheat is unfortunately for us, a really good idea. Sorry.

What I also found, after I followed his schedules. was that I was underfeeding myself protein and overfeeding myself simple carbs...again the pasta & breads were the culprit. That was a real lesson for me. And since I wanted to cut out the red meat and I can't abide fish I needed a new source of a good quality protein. That's where the protein powders came in which I add to my homemade juices. I find when you add a protein supplement powder, you will feel full, there's no aftertaste and you are automatically cutting back on fat which is a good thing for us.

I understand the stress, and moreso I understand the frustration! And since I can't seem to perfect my diet to conform 100% with his suggestions, all I can add is a dose of friendly sympathy!
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 6:25pm
Tasoulla,

I must applaud you for all the research you're doing for your mum.  I'm not following any specific diet like Sears, but I hear it's very good.  My onc just told me to limit sugars, white flour, fats (the bad kind) - not olive oil, red meat and alcohol.  I haven't totally cut these things out but I try to make them an exception instead of the main part of my diet.  

Thanks to Mainy, I've started juicing - still trying out different vegetables to see what tastes the best.  I also make a protein shake in the morning for my breakfast.  I do use milk, but only buy organic fat free milk and yogurt.

I've also added D3, Calcium/Mag/Zinc, Green Tea, Resvertal, baby aspirin, and Curcumin supplements.

Please keep us posted on how your mum is doing.  Exercise is also helpful to help your mum.  Even a short daily walk will make her feel better.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

specksmama View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specksmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 8:18pm
Donna, Is olive oil considered a bad fat? That is pretty much all I use, I have cut red meat out almost completely and alcohol is only an occasional thing. I have been consuming blueberries like crazy, two cups a day with skim milk and protein powder all blended into a smoothie, plus a blueberry bagel in the morning and blueberry yogurt sometimes at night. I am surprised that my skin isn't blue! Please let me know about the olive oil, that is one thing we use quite often.

I am having my surgery on Wednesday and I am quite nervous and tense about it. I have never had a surgery in my life so I don't know what to expect really. I am having a lumpectomy, axillary dissection and removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes.

I am so thankful for all of the women on this site - I would be totally lost without all of you.
Diagnosed 12/09 IDC triple neg
2cm tumor
1 of 11 nodes positive
Chemo until 4/20/10
Surgery 5/26/10 No viable cancer left in breast
1 mm of cancer in one lymph node.
Radiation 6/28 to 8/9
Sugar77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:37pm
speckmama, following is something I found online a while ago with respect to the best kinds of fat for breast cancer prevention.  I was glad to see it coincided with what I use, which is olive oil for salads and lowly heated foods...I use Canola when I saute or cook on a higher heat.  

This is the text from "item #5" at the following link about 10-steps to prevent breast cancer:

The type of fat in your diet can affect your breast cancer risk. Minimize consumption of omega-6 fats (sunflower, safflower, corn and cottonseed oils), saturated fats and trans fats. Maximize your intake of omega-3 fats, especially from oily fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel, sardines, lake trout and herring). Consume monounsaturated oils (canola, olive oil, nuts/seeds, avocados) as your primary fat source, as these foods have potential anticancer properties. Specifically, canola oil is a good source of omega-3 fats; extra virgin olive oil is a potent source of antioxidant polyphenols, including squalene; and nuts and seeds provide you with the cancer protective mineral, selenium.

DX IDC TNBC Oct. 27, 2009, age at diagnosis 45, Stage 1, Grade 3, <1 cm, 0/2 nodes, lumpectomy, Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished Feb. 8, 2010, radiation completed Apr. 21, 2010.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:38pm
Specksmama,

Olive oil is very good for us. 

I know what you mean about being anxious about your upcoming surgery.  Besides tonsils out when I was 5, I've never had any surgery.  I was so nervous for the mx, but it went smoothly.  I'm so sorry for all of us women that have to deal with the anxiety of the diagnosis, surgery,  chemo.  The anticipation is the worst.

Please keep us posted on how your surgery goes.  We'll be thinking of you.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specksmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:44pm
Thanks sugar77 - I am already doing most of what is on that list. We stopped doing "white" food a few years back. I had a backslide when I was first diagnosed - but I am back to it now. I also don't eat much in the way of meat and just recently started eating a lot more dark green leafy veggies. Kale and cannelloni beans is one of my favorite meals now!
2cm tumor
1 of 11 nodes positive
Chemo until 4/20/10
Radiation 6/28 to 8/9
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote specksmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:46pm
Thanks Donna, Knowing that all of you are thinking of me makes me feel less scared. I know that it will not be near as bad as I have it imagined in my head. When I get back home and start to feel good again I will write and let everyone know how it goes.
2cm tumor
1 of 11 nodes positive
Chemo until 4/20/10
Radiation 6/28 to 8/9
Sugar77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2010 at 10:52pm
I would love to get a recipe for kale and cannelloni beans...or any other good recipes the call for kale or any of the other nutrient dense greens. 

Sherri 
DX IDC TNBC Oct. 27, 2009, age at diagnosis 45, Stage 1, Grade 3, <1 cm, 0/2 nodes, lumpectomy, Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished Feb. 8, 2010, radiation completed Apr. 21, 2010.
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 12:40am
Thank you Mainy and Donna for you replies!!!
I'm doing as much is possible for my mum............!
For the diet it is really difficult for her!
You can't cut all the bread from your daily diet.You need at least 3-4 slices a whole meal bread a day! As for red meat she eats only once per week!
Mainy do you have any dairy products daily(milk cheese, etc)?
As for juice she has a carrot juice with apples every day and he told us to cut it!!!!
After finisheing chemo, i thought my mum had the correct daily diet every day and she made us feel that she doesn't follow an anti cancer diet!!!
Ok, not all the products she uses are anticancer but most of them are!It is not possible not to have and something which is regular for others!

All the best to you!!
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2010 at 11:35am
Tasoulla, there comes a time when you have to choose a path that is going to be workable for you mum and you, it may not be a perfect path according to any of the nutrionists out there, but no one knows for sure what the absolute perfect path is. It's more important to recognize that she's not just a cancer suvivior but her body is working on healing itself and finding it's new path.
Just as you talk about the bread there are other things that you may find you need to detour away from a nutritionist.

The juice is something I intend to keep taking. I add the celery & cucumber to it, cinnamon and I also add protein powder or a supplement powder (generally one that is whey & glutin free) as I find the juice is a nice vehicle for getting extra supplements mixed in rather than taking mega handfuls of pills...that's just me. I understand that someone may have arguments against the juice, for instance too much A will interfere with Vit D, however, the Vit A may help your body fight off diabetes (see thread a couple of days ago from Stanford Univ). And again, it's all about balance, as we work to give our bodies their health back.

Dairy products I'm not real big on. I use a qt of milk every 2 weeks and a 1/2# butter a month. I have a big tub of yogurt that lasts me 3 weeks that I use with fruit, and I have cheese several times a week.  Everything is organic

We have a good organic group of farmers here in my valley and I can get lamb, beef & pork, all organic so I do have more red meat than the nutrionists would like, but I'm also trying to keep up my protein intake.

There are days that I dream of the pungent smells of sourdough bread or crispy french bread, but I don't have to run out and get some everytime I have those urges, sometimes I barter with myself and promise a special treat after a long and beautiful hike, but only after I've had the walk.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic