FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heart Damage from Chemotherapy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Meem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 9:46am
Hi All!
Diagnosed in Sept 09 left breast 5+ cm tumor grade 3,  chemo (4 DD A/C 2 DD Taxol, but stopped because of severe neurapathy), double mastectomy, 33 rads.  During chemo and now have developed swollen ankles and feet.  Muga scan had been normal and now they want to do a heart ultrasound, but have to wait till my chest area clears up.  Has this been a symptom for anyone who developed a heart side effect from the Adriamycin?  Thanks.
Meem
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 5:15pm
Meem, I had my 2nd echocardiogram this morning.  I've had 3 MUGA's and now 2 echocardiograms.  My ejection fractions were great on MUGA's til 2 months after my chemo ended.  In March I was down 19%, so I had an echo.  It was slightly lower.  It will be interesting to see how the 2 echo's compare.  I feel fine.  I had to stop my weekly Taxol due to emergency gall bladder surgery that had me in the hospital for 2 weeks.
Lee in Denver
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
Meem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 5:19pm
Lee,
Thank you for responding.  Wow, gallbladder surgery on top of everything else!  I guess it is that I am done with the treatment and now am probably needlessly worrying, but will get the echo done and see what it says.
Meem
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2010 at 5:42pm
Meem, it's hard not to be worrying.  It was hard for me not to be able to finish my weekly Taxol.  I was told I'd lost the snowball effect of the chemo by having to be off chemo so long.  That feeling of "I'm not doing something to fight this cancer" has mostly gone away, but still rears it's ugly head now and again.  I've been on Lasix for swollen ankles and feet for years -nothing to do with chemo results.
Lee
dx6/09,stageII,gr3,(L)mastectomy 7/09,ACx4,Taxolx7,Avastin study,gall bladder surgery 1/10,4/11 Stage 4, mets to lung, 4/11 Started Taxotere and Xeloda, 5/11 Taxotere stopped, off Xeloda
Sugar77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 9:16am
zoomommy2 - I"m glad to read that the feeling of not doing something to fight this cancer does go away! I finished chemo in Feb. and rads at the end of April and am feeling that way right now, and it's getting me down a bit these days. 

Sherri
DX IDC TNBC Oct. 27, 2009, age at diagnosis 45, Stage 1, Grade 3, <1 cm, 0/2 nodes, lumpectomy, Taxotere/CytoxanX4, finished Feb. 8, 2010, radiation completed Apr. 21, 2010.
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 12:32pm
Sherri, I have a 3 month appointment with my oncologist on Monday, so the nerves are starting to jangle again.  There's labwork, echo results and lots of questions on supplements to deal with.  He's the clinician type, not one to comfortably ask questions of.  His PA is the one I can go to with the all the things he would probably think are silly.  She's a female, so she's easy to talk to.  I'm glad to have both of them.
Lee in Denver
Halsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 4:27pm
Pam,

I don't even know what a MUGA is.  I did have an echo before chemo (mandated) and was supposed to have another shortly after chemo then the 30 radiation treatments.  Financially I could not and had my "follow up" a year after chemo.  It was fine.

I'm so curious about ongoing Avistan OR Adriamycin.  I was on 4 cycles of AC then 4 of T (taxol).  Then done.  Now it's about a DIAGNOSTIC mammogram and six months later a break MRI with contrast.  I thought with Triple Neg there was no on-going (as there is with hormone receptive BC).

An aside I don't read much about here, are you taking (I forget the name but it's a powdered amino acid thingy) that helps guard against neuropathy (a painful lifetime of nerve damage..many diabetics and HIV/Aids victims get this condition).  I didn't like the stuff, but put it in a banana smoothie.  Has this even been suggested (to anyone out there?)

Take care of yourself; and sometimes we HAVE to get aggressive with medical staff to get answers that affect OUR lives!
Halsey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halsey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 4:32pm
Meem,

Honey I'm so sorry for your pain; like cancer isnt' enough.  Did your oncologist every prescribe (it's not a drug, can be bought in health food stores) but a powdered amino acid ( I think) that is specifically mean to ward off neuropathy in those of us who had Taxol?  Our cancers sound similar, Stage II, Grade 3 (4+ cm), 4 cycles AC, then 4 Taxol.  I forced myself to include this powdered amino in a banana smoothis and did not get any lasting nerve damage.  WERE you told about this potential aid against neuropathy?  (if not, I'm really ticked off)
Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2010 at 5:37pm
Glutimine
Meem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 9:42am
Halsey,
Never heard of anything and wish I had known about it.  Per Scott "Glutimine".  I wonder if it would have any effect now, however, the damage has been done.  I am dealing with it with the drug Neurotin, and am getting around. Definately has changed my mobility and I have had therapy for it. I tell myself that I am just happy to be breathing and walking with a cane!  I also have rheumatoid arthritis which luckily didn't flare up throughout my treatment.  LIfe can be a challenge!
Thank you for your info.
Meem
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 11:10am
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Debris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 1:00pm
I'm on 18 Tx of Taxol and 12 Tx Avastin, over 6 months.  No one has said anything about the help for potential nerve damage!  I will be asking about this, for sure.
By the way, I've read conflicting reports about the efficacy of Avastin - is it the next best thing, or are the results mediocre, do we know?
4/12 Xeloda/Tykerb
2 Carboplatin
12/11 Dx IA
9 Gemzar/Taxotere Dx IBC:FEC
5 Ixempra/Sprycel
2 25 Rad
10/10 BRCA1-/2suv
9 NED
6 Stg4 Grd3 many nodes no Sx/Rad. Taxol/Avastin
06/08 Dx DCIS 0/SN Rads/AIs
zoomommy2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoomommy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2010 at 1:15pm
I wish somebody had told me about something to take when I was on Taxol!  I feel so arthritic and gimpy since Taxol, not before.  I was on an Avastin study that ended for me in January.  It was to see if it helps earlier stage patients.  What I have read is that it is helpful with later stage breast cancers.  I had no problems with it.  I didn't even know for sure I was on it til the told me at the end.  There have been incidences of congestive heart failure (treatable) with patients on it.  I was on it while getting Adriamycin, a drug known to cause heart damage.   So, if I should wind up with treatable CHF, I don't know which drug would have done it.
Lee in Denver
rocky918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 9:35am
I am done with my chemo, which included Taxol. The reports indicates that the treatment worked, but I am left with severe neuropathy. I am prescribed Nuerontin as well,but am worried about the lasting side effects of this drug. I am reading about the amino acids to ward off this, but is there any help since i already have the neuropathy.  Any natural remedies. We try to solve a problem with a drug then it triggers another problem.   
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 10:58am
Hi Rocky918,

I had neuropathy from taxotere.  My onc suggested taking B-6 (100 mg) twice daily.   My neuropathy was mostly in my fingers and toes.  I'm about 8 months out from chemo and I only have slight numbness in the fingertips of my left hand.  I don't notice it in the other areas like I used to.  I still take the B6 every day.

Donna

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2010 at 9:13pm

Chemo induced Neuropathy, http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurology_neurosurgery/conditions_main/chemo_induced_peripheral_neuropathy.html

This can happen, atleast the chemo nurses should pass on this information.  Many women who have posted on this forum in the last few years have said their neuropathy had lessoned over time so hopefully this will happen for you.

I worked my way up to 3 -800 mgs a day but over time I have gone back down to just one pill a day.  The neuropathy is getting better.

Edited by trip2 - Jun 26 2010 at 9:14pm
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
kaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2010 at 10:42am
I have a handout on the benefits/dosage for glutamine that I received from my oncologist office. I can't figure out how to attach the scan I made here, but if anyone would like a copy, send me a PM and I'll be happy to email it to you.
DX age 54, lumpectomy, IDC,10mm, 0/10 nodes, Stage 1 Grade 2, ER-/PR-/HER2neu-, Ki-67 74%, BRCA negative, TCx4, 6 weeks rads
NINASUZIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NINASUZIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 5:34pm
I did alot of research on chemo prior to choosing/deciding/demanding NO AC!!!!  I have a minor heart condition but am medicated and familial high blood pressure, also medicated.  I had a 60% function rate in my Muga and the cardiologist and oncologists said "no AC problems".  I reminded them that 60% was WITH medication and was not willing to take the risk of CHF later.  I lost 2 onc drs because of it, but ended up with the best onc at a major research center for BC!!  You are so smart to keep on top of this and it will ensure you receive the best monitoring and treatment for your heart!  Yes, I know others who have had their functioning improve with time and the above!  You have the best chances for keeping your heart healthy and strong by advocating for yourself!
Suzie
Dx: 1/09 Metaplastic TN IDC/3.5CM/DCIS/1.0;4/09 L mastectomy;6-11/09 Cytoxan/Taxotere X6;BRACA-; Recurrance 11/10 bone mets broke arm;Lung mets;rads X15; chemo/parp tbd 1/11
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 5:57pm
Hi Suzie, very well said.  Congratulations to you for sticking to your guns, it worked out better all the way around.  Good to see you....
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
rocky918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocky918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 6:39pm
I will definately try this.  Hopefully I will get some results soon too.  Thanks a million. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic