FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

False Alarm # 999 (whew!)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: False Alarm # 999 (whew!)
    Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 12:32am
Apparently, sometimes a leg lump is just a leg lump.  MRI says:  yes, you are lumpy, but these particular lumps are not out to kill you.   And pelvic ultrasound says: sometimes bleeding heavily after no period for over 1.5 years (chemopause) is just your ovaries restarted.   After a tense day, I'm happy to report that all is well (as far as I know).  Happy Hanukah to me! 
love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Bonnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 8:24am
Denise:  Glad to hear that all is well!  My daughter, Ashley, has just started chemopause and the hot flashes are driving her crazy.  Just yesterday we were discussing the possiblities of whether she will be done with her period for good or if it will come back.  I'll tell her your experience.  Have a nice weekend.
Bonnie
Bonnie - Daughter Ashley dx TN 8/09 @ 22; St3, BRCA1/2-; AC&Ixempra done 2/10; mets to lung 3/10; G/C 3/10; PARP 6/10; sternum mets 9/10; NK012 failed; mets to liver, spine, kidney; Avastin/Xeloda
tasoulla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tasoulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2009 at 10:36am
Dear Denise,

Very nice to hear for a false alarm and that every thing is fine!!

Dear Bonnie,
How your daughter is coping with her hot flashes? Is she taking any pills for helping her ?
My mum is under chemo(dose dense), she's in Taxol now and she's having terrible hot flashes, especially at night and she can't sleep.

All the best!

dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 1:59pm

Thanks for all the well wishes!  I'm in LA with my family, enjoying our break with a much lighter heart.  Bonnie, your daughter will almost certainly get her period back.  At 22, her ovaries are so springy it would take more than few months of chemo to shut them down permanently.  In the meantime, would she consider one of the anti-depressants known to help with flashes?  I went on Cymbalta, which was great for the flashes and all the depression and anxiety I was experiencing.  Effexor is supposed to be good for this as well, though I've heard it is much harder to come off of, with a pretty nasty discontinuation syndrome if you don't titrate down slooooowwwlly.   Tasoulla, has your mom tried either of these for her symptoms?  They don't get rid of flashes completely, but they do help.   Also, for sleep, I would *strongly* suggest sleeping pills.  Almost every woman undergoing breast cancer treatment that I know of has needed a sleep aid during the first 6 months after diagnosis.  Ambien is a good one to try.   Personally, I don't skimp on the drugs when in distress - whatever gets you through the night, right?

Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 2:06pm
I tried ambien and got sick as a dog.. 15 minutes after i took it, the room was spinning and i started getting sick...   I got Ativan after that, and I used it almost every night for the first 2-3 months after dx,  then I started cutting back as I could... but if I don't sleep well for a nite or two.. then I take one to get a good nights sleep.. my mind still races, especially last week when I was getting ready for scans and waiting for results... 

I didn't get hot flashes with the Taxol.. guess I was lucky...  i got them with my anxiety attacks...and would just use a cool rag... or ice pack on the back of my neck or top of my head...
DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
Lillie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 2:10pm
Hello Denise,

So happy I saw this post today. I had been wondering about your leg lump and the heavy bleeding.

"Ain't it a shame" what our bodies throw at us after TNBC. So happy that the lump was "just a lump" and the bleeding was "just heavy bleeding". Enjoy time with your family and "with a light heart" is the icing on the cake.

Enjoy!

Lillie
Dx 6/06 age 65,IDC-TNBC
Stage IIb,Gr3,2cm,BRCA-
6/06 L/Mast/w/SNB,1of3 Nodes+
6/06 Axl. 9 nodes-
8/8 thru 11/15 Chemo (Clin-Trial) DD A/Cx4 -- DD taxol+gemzar x4
No Rads.
No RECON - 11/2018-12 yrs NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 6:52pm
Denise,

Great news!  I think most of us with TNBC just expect the worse whenever a new symptom appears.  Enjoy Hanukah and your time with your family.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:24am
Denise,

I am so happy for you, wonderful news.Heart
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:39am
Denise,
I've been so worried about you....and now I am sooooo happy!!!!
Love and Prayers,
CarolHug
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 10:41am

Denise..

Did you by any chance notice that you now have a Queen's Court of which I am a charter member...
I had to get all dressed up in my ball gown the other day when my tests came back clear...LOL
Carol

Edited by Carol (Tenn) - Dec 22 2009 at 10:42am
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 11:03am
Dear Denise,
Good to hear that false alarms #999 and #1000 were just that - false alarms! Happy chanukkah!

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 11:43am
Hi Denise,

enjoy your time in L.A. and congrats on false alarm..

My daughter had a very bad reaction to Effexor-said she felt "hollow" inside..Doc took her off it, but certainly, you are correct, it has worked for others..

wishing you a happy HEALTHY 2010!!!!!

love

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2009 at 4:32pm
Carol, no I did not notice that you took a place in my court.  Do tell!

Thanks, Steve and everyone!  Here's to wishing all of us a happy, healthy, prosperous 2010.  Now, to sneak some frozen yogurt after what turned out to be an excellent yoga class.
love,
Denise
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic