FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamin D3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2012 at 11:49am
Lillie,

I despise insurance companies.  I'm self employed but as an S Corp remain an employee of the company and  forced to buy individual medical insurance.  I sure miss the advantage of group rates.  My premiums got up to as much as a really hefty house payment until I switched to a high deductible HSA (Health Savings Account).  I'm sure my HSA premium while nowhere near the cost I was paying will too increase by ridiculous percentages each year.  These insurance companies are legalized extortionists as far as I'm concerned.

Hope you're feeling much better, Lillie!

Donna,
Thinking of you.  I hope all is going as well as possible! 

Hugs,
Mindy

Edited by mindy555 - Feb 22 2012 at 12:12pm
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Grew to Stage IIa- No ev of node involve- BRCA1+ chondroid metaplasia
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2012 at 8:33pm
Researchers discover how vitamin D inhibits inflammation

February 22, 2012 by admin 

Researchers at National Jewish Health have discovered specific molecular and signaling events by which vitamin D inhibits inflammation. In their experiments, they showed that low levels of Vitamin D, comparable to levels found in millions of people, failed to inhibit the inflammatory cascade, while levels considered adequate did inhibit inflammatory signaling. They reported their results in the March 1, 2011, issue of TheJournal of Immunology.

“This study goes beyond previous associations of vitamin D with various health outcomes. It outlines a clear chain of cellular events, from the binding of DNA, through a specific signaling pathway, to the reduction of proteins known to trigger inflammation,” said lead author Elena Goleva, assistant professor of pediatrics at National Jewish Health. “Patients with chronic inflammatory diseases, such as asthma, arthritis and prostate cancer, who are vitamin D deficient, may benefit from vitamin D supplementation to get their serum vitamin D levels above 30 nanograms/milliliter.”

Current national guidelines suggest that people should maintain a minimum blood serum level of 20 ng/ml, although there is much scientific debate about optimum levels. Vitamin D has long been known to contribute to bone health by promoting the absorption of calcium. In recent years, much attention has been paid to its possible immune and inflammatory benefits. Low vitamin D levels have been associated with several diseases including asthma, cancer, diabetes, and arthritis.

In the current study researchers examined the specific mechanisms by which vitamin D might act on immune and inflammatory pathways. They incubated human white blood cells with varying levels of vitamin D, then exposed them to lipopolysaccharide (LPS), a molecule associated with bacterial cell walls that is known to promote intense inflammatory responses.

Cells incubated with no vitamin D and in solution containing 15 ng/ml of vitamin D produced high levels of cytokines IL-6 and TNF-I±, major actors in the inflammatory response. Cells incubated in 30 ng/ml vitamin D and above showed significantly reduced response to the LPS. The highest levels of inflammatory inhibition occurred at 50 ng/ml.

Through a complex series of experiments, the researchers identified a new location where the vitamin-D receptor appears to bind directly to DNA and activate a gene known as MKP-1. MKP-1 interferes with the inflammatory cascade triggered by LPS, which includes a molecule known as p38, and results in higher levels of IL-6 and TNF-I±.

“This newly identified DNA-binding site for the vitamin-D receptor, and the specific pathways inhibited by higher levels of vitamin D provide a plausible mechanism for many of the benefits that have been associated with vitamin D,” said Dr. Goleva. ‘The fact that we showed a dose-dependent and varying response to levels commonly found in humans also adds weight to the argument for vitamin D’s role in immune and inflammatory conditions.”

###

allstetterw@njhealth.org
303-398-1002
National Jewish Health

http://www.breakthroughdigest.com/medical-news/researchers-discover-how-vitamin-d-inhibits-inflammation/

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2012 at 2:07pm
Wow Donna!  Excellent find with a solid source. 

Thanks for all you do. Heck, just thanks for being you- a precious beloved member and friend of this forum.

Mindy
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2012 at 2:28pm
Glad to have some idea how it helps. We requested a Vit D check on Susan's last appointment with our PCP, but when the labs came back they had forgotten to ask for it. Angry
Thanks, Donna!

Martin
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 2:53pm
This if from the Vitamin D Council:

Bio-Tech 50,000 IU D3 now available for prescription
February 27, 2012

Although the Vitamin D Council and I believe that vitamin D ought to be taken daily to mimic daily sun exposure, I understand the power and reasoning why some doctors prefer to write prescriptions at weekly, fortnightly or monthly directions. For one, it lets the patient know the importance in the recommendation. In turn, the patient is more likely to take vitamin D. And two, the plac
ebo effect in writing a prescription is much more powerful than recommending an over-the-counter vitamin. 

Many doctors in the USA prescribe vitamin D, with instructions to take one capsule every week, or every two weeks, or even one capsule per month. Up until that last few years, only one vitamin D -- vitamin D2, the less potent and less efficacious type of vitamin D -- has been available for prescription. I am glad to say that this is no longer true. 50,000 IU capsules of vitamin D3 are now available by prescription.

Bio-Tech Pharmacal has partnered with distributors to make 50,000 IU D3 available for thousand of US drug stores. That means unless your doctor writes “Drisdol, do not substitute,” then your pharmacist can give you human vitamin D, not plant vitamin D.

If you’re a medical professional, contact your local pharmacy to request they stock the product. If you’re a pharmacist, order the product and begin substituting Drisdol prescriptions now. If you’re a patient, print this story and take it to your pharmacy today and make sure you start taking D3, not D2. The list of distributors -- the information they need to know -- is below.

If they want to know why they should switch, the following reasons make it clear:
  • Vitamin D3 is the type of vitamin D the human body produces in response to sun exposure. Vitamin D2 supplements are produced by irradiating fungus.
  • Research has shown that the body prefers vitamin D3 over D2 when both forms are readily available in the body (Heaney 2011)
  • Research has shown that vitamin D3 is more efficacious in reducing mortality risk than D2 (Bjelakovic 2011). Research has also shown than vitamin D3 is more efficacious in reducing the risk of fractures and falls than D2 (Bischoff-Ferrari 2009).
I must recommend, however, that if 50,000 IU is going to be prescribed, they ought to prescribe it to take weekly, which equates to 7,000 IU/day. Once every two weeks might do the trick (equivalent to 3,500 IU/day). Once a month is not enough in my opinion (equivalent to 1670 IU/day).

Bio-Tech D-3-50 (50,000IU)
NDC# 53191036201
Domestic Distributors
  • McKesson Drug Company
  • Cardinal Health
  • Emerson Ecologics
  • Dakota Drug
  • HD Smith Wholesale Drug Company
  • Gulf South Medical Supply
  • Smith Drug Company
  • National Drug Source
International Distributors
  • Pharmaceutical Trade Services-US based distributor serving Europe, the Middle East, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Africa and South America
  • Symbion Pty- Australia
  • Al-AHD Drug Store- Jordan
  • Al-Omair International Trading- Kuwait
  • Biotech Pharma Services- UAE
  • Trans Arabia Drug Store- UAE
  • Riyadh International Corporation- Saudi Arabia
  • Taiba Pharma LLC- Sultanate of Oman

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 8:00pm
Hi to Ms Bliss and All,

Ms Bliss, on another forum* you had posted:
Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 8:57pm
..........."Since we have already broached the subject of supplemental protocols, and you are using many of them, I want to remind you to ask your integrative doctor or advisor about the following:
If you are taking high doses of D3, you should be taking at least 150mcg, micrograms, not milligrams, of K2. The K2 will keep your arteries safe from high serum calcium which is a side effect of high dose D3 and it will keep any possible bone micromets from being able to feed off of the destructive by products of bone deterioration from such. Bone that is invaded by micromets is self propelling in that the inflammatory process which results from the bone being broken down by the mets will feed the process. That is one of the reasons doctors prescribe osteoporosis meds to break the chain. Please ask about this."

Ms Bliss and all:
Was wondering......in your opinion.......and realize we all have to check with our physicians...........
What do you consider a "high dose of Vit D3"?
At what dose of Vit D3 does one need to be careful to include the Vit K2?

Thanks

Grateful for today...........Judy

* other forum you had posted on was: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/team-laura_topic8522_page8.html
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 7:17pm

Body weight and vitamin D blood levels

Who needs more vitamin D, a 250lb fit man who has 12 percent total body fat or a 250lb obese man who has 50 percent total body fat?

a)      Obese man needs more

b)      Muscle man needs more

c)       Both need the same

We know vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin and another one of these “common sense” theories that sounds good have led most of us to respond that the 250lb obese man needs more vitamin D because body fat acts as a “sink,” collecting fat-soluble vitamins.

doctors-with-elderly-patient-4

Muscle and fat may well act the same when it comes to storing vitamin D for future use.

Leave it to Professor Robert Heaney’s group to see the light (although Professor Reinhold Vieth wrote the same thing several years ago in a textbook). The answer is — they both need the same amount. Using mathematical models that are beyond my psychiatric training, Dr. Andjela Drincic and colleagues at Creighton University recently wrote a beautiful paper that definitively answered the question.

Drincic AT, Armas LA, Van Diest EE, Heaney RP. Volumetric Dilution, Rather Than Sequestration Best Explains the Low Vitamin D Status of Obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2012 Jan 19. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.404.

Therefore, muscle and fat may well act the same when it comes to storing vitamin D for future use. When you try to figure out how much vitamin D someone needs, forget the “fat sink” theory, as sensible as it sounds, and keep in mind total body weight. However, also keep in mind the obese man may have lower levels to begin with, as obese persons may typically have lifestyles that are void of full body sun exposure.

Finally, I am comforted by the authors’ calculation of vitamin D requirements. They cite data that show, if you want the average person to have a level of 40 ng/ml, that person needs 70-80 IU/kg/day. If you do the math, the 250 pound man would need 7-8,000 IU/day from all sources, while a 125 pound woman would need 3,500-4,000 IU/day from all sources. It is difficult to make a general recommendation with vitamin D for adults because you don’t want to get too complicated. That’s why our almost 10-year-old recommendation is simply 5,000 IU/day, which serves well for the majority of adults.

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/2012/02/27/body-weight-and-vitamin-d-blood-levels/

Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 9:25pm
Hi to Ms Bliss, Donna and All,

Ms Bliss, on another forum* you had posted:
Posted: Oct 24 2011 at 8:57pm
..........."Since we have already broached the subject of supplemental protocols, and you are using many of them, I want to remind you to ask your integrative doctor or advisor about the following:
If you are taking high doses of D3, you should be taking at least 150mcg, micrograms, not milligrams, of K2. The K2 will keep your arteries safe from high serum calcium which is a side effect of high dose D3 and it will keep any possible bone micromets from being able to feed off of the destructive by products of bone deterioration from such. Bone that is invaded by micromets is self propelling in that the inflammatory process which results from the bone being broken down by the mets will feed the process. That is one of the reasons doctors prescribe osteoporosis meds to break the chain. Please ask about this."

Ms Bliss, Donna and all:
Was wondering......in your opinion.......and realize we all have to check with our physicians...........
What do you consider a "high dose of Vit D3"?
At what dose of Vit D3 does one need to be careful to include the Vit K2?

Thanks

Grateful for today...........Judy

* other forum Ms Bliss had posted on was: http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/team-laura_topic8522_page8.html
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 9:31pm

cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 10:03pm
Donna, 

Thanks for the articles.  I take 5000 IU daily and my last blood work my level was 64. My calcium registered a little high at 10 so i will see about the K2. 

Blair
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
dtmarynestor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtmarynestor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 3:48am
Here's another source of good article about vitamin d - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

It will help you understand why vitamin d is important to us.

Edited by dtmarynestor - Mar 07 2012 at 3:50am
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 7:08pm
Thanks for the good info, Donna.

There's been some questions in my mind on the best form of magnesium, which is important to take in tandem with Vit. D. and calcium.  I'm looking for information on magnesium with superior bioavailabilty

From the Vit D Council:

Magnesium and vitamin D

Magnesium has been found to influence the body’s utilization of vitamin D in the following ways: Magnesium activates cellular enzymatic activity. In fact, all the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D require it. 3 4 Low magnesium has been shown to alter, by way of decreasing, production of vitamin D’s active form, 1,25(OH)2D (calcitriol). 5

Magnesium is needed to exert positive influence over the human genome and may be involved in the genetic actions of vitamin D. Magnesium possibly has a role in vitamin D’s effect on the immune system. 6

Animal studies have shown magnesium is also necessary for vitamin D’s beneficial actions on bone. 7 8

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/vitamin-d-cofactors/magnesium/

I started with magnesium oxide- a very common and and easily found supplement form- until I researched further and found it to be an inferior form of magnesium:

Magnesium oxide is one of the most common, but studies have shown it to be poorly absorbed, due to low solubility.  Studies show that other common forms, such as citrate, chloride, aspartate, are all better absorbed.  However, some people instead recommend chelated forms, believing that they are the best absorbed.

I switched to magnesium citrate, although I know there are other superior forms of magnesium with higher bioavailabity not listed here.  Any input or experience?

A bit more general information on magnesium: 

Magnesium deficiency is very common in the general US population.  Not only is our daily intake low, but we eat a diet which increases the demand for magnesium.  And unfortunately, urinary magnesium loss can be increased by many factors, both physical and emotional.  Magnesium loss increases in the presence of certain hormones.  Stress can greatly increase magnesium loss. Even loud noises can cause magnesium loss.  One article on the web goes so far as to say that that almost everyone is the United States is at least marginally deficient in magnesium.  So there is an excellent chance that a person who experiences muscle aches and fatigue has a magnesium deficiency.  People with high levels of stress, and a disrupted hormonal system, are more likely to be candidates for magnesium deficiency.  Sleep deprivation has also been shown to cause lower magnesium levels.
Magnesium also plays an important role in diabetes.  Some studies have shown proper amounts of magnesium may prevent type 2 diabetes.

Here's another link with general additional information:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/

Mineral salt forms of magnesium supplements include:

• Magnesium Bicarbonate
  • Magnesium Carbonate
  • Magnesium Chloride
  • Magnesium Hydroxide
  • Magnesium Oxide
  • Magnesium Phosphate
  • Magnesium Sulfate (or Magnesium Sulphate)

Magnesium chloride has been found to have the highest bioavailability of the above types of magnesium, due to its superior solubility in water. In fact, water solubility has been found to be directly related to supplement absorbability, as it is believed that the “non-saturable” component of magnesium absorption in the digestive system is related to “solvent drag”, the mechanism by which minerals and electrolytes accompany solvents such as water in the process of digestion and absorption.2

Magnesium oxide is a common compound in the earth’s crust, comprising 35% of its content by mass. However, it has been found in medical studies to have one of the lowest degrees of bioavailability, as low as 4% bioavailable in one study. Therefore, most experts therefore do not recommend magnesium oxide as the magnesium supplement of choice. Magnesium oxide is used in most store -bought brands of magnesium supplements due to its low cost and high availability.

Magnesium Acid Complexes

These forms of supplements represent acids bonded with magnesium, typically in a laboratory environment, to form a complex between magnesium and a compound of hydrogen, oxygen and sometimes carbon and nitrogen, known by chemists as an “organic compound”.

These types of magnesium are often referred to as “organic salts” of magnesium, as they are organic in the manner defined by a laboratory chemist, not in the manner defined in agriculture. Since they are typically not derived from food or plants, they cannot classify as “organic” by USDA standards.

They include:

• Magnesium Ascorbate
  • Magnesium Aspartate*
  • Magnesium Citrate
  • Magnesium Fumarate
  • Magnesium Gluconate
  • Magnesium Glutamate*
  • Magnesium Lactate
  • Magnesium Malate
  • Magnesium Pidolate

*Both magnesium aspartate as well as magnesium glutamate break down into neurotransmitters that, when not bound with other amino acids, are neurotoxic.

Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by dtmarynestor dtmarynestor wrote:

Here's another source of good article about vitamin d - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/12/16/my-one-hour-vitamin-d-lecture-to-clear-up-all-your-confusion-on-this-vital-nutrient.aspx

It will help you understand why vitamin d is important to us.

Thanks so much dtmarynestor.  I've bookmarked the link to listen to the entire youtube by Dr. Mercola.  So far quite compelling!  He certainly is passionate about vitamin D.

Mindy
Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
debB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 8:25pm
Mindy,

Thanks for all the great info on Magnesium! I alternate between 5,000 and 10,000 Vit D daily but when my test came back this week, it was still only at 48. I know my magnesium was low during my first round of chemo and have been taking it since then but this serves to remind me to keep putting it in the pill box each week!

Deb
Dx 4/29/11, 46 yrs old, 3.9 cm tumor, Stg 2 Grade 3 chemo 4 rounds DD AC, 12 weekly taxol, finish. Lumpectomy, 2mm residual tumor. 37 rounds rads completed. Cisplatin/PARP trial
mindy555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mindy555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2012 at 9:02pm
Deb!  I've missed you!!!  I'm going to drop you an email within the next few days.

Many Hug to you, dear friend!

Dx July 2011 56 yo
Stage I IDC,TN,Grade 3
Daughter also BRCA1+
Mass grew on Taxol
FEC 6x better
BMX 3/19/12 pCR NED
BSO 6/2012
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 2:20pm
Mindy,

Thanks for the Magnesium posting.  I'm not sure of the ingredients source in mine, so I need to check.  You provided lots of good information.  Thanks!

There are some good food choices for magnesium:

World's Healthiest Foods rich in
magnesium
FoodCals%Daily Value

Pumpkin Seeds18047.7%

Spinach4139.1%

Swiss Chard3537.6%

Soybeans29836.9%

Sesame Seeds20631.5%

Halibut15930.3%

Black Beans22730.1%

Sunflower seeds20428.4%

Cashews18925%

Almonds20624.6%

(Numbers in red are calories.  Percentages are %DV)

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=75

Edited by 123Donna - Mar 08 2012 at 2:22pm

tanya2011 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanya2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2012 at 8:43pm
wow! Ihad no idea. I kow I have just found a new family doc and he sugested maybe take some vitimin D3 for my immune system  only 1000 mg,WOW all I can say! I did not get this test either! erm I go to my onco next month and plus get a ct scan I will bring this up. for now I will increase my dosage.
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2012 at 6:12pm
Article on why it "pays" to have the Vitamin D test.  Insurance companies should learn from this valuable lesson.

The cost of vitamin D blood tests

How much more does it cost the medical system to have doctors order vitamin D blood tests? Already, both Canada and Medicare have limited doctor’s ability to test for vitamin D deficiency because the tests cost too much. How much do they cost in the picture of total health care costs?

The stunning answer from Dr. Beth Baily and colleagues at East Tennessee State University is that frequent vitamin D blood tests mean lower, not higher, total medical care costs. That’s right, ordering more vitamin D tests means lower total health care costs.

Bailey, Beth  et al.  Vitamin D Testing Patterns Among Six Veterans Medical Centers in the Southeastern United States: Links With Medical Costs.  Military Medicine, Volume 177, Number 1, January 2012 , pp. 70-76(7)

seniors-with-doctor

Inpatient costs were from 70% to 300% lower for veterans who’d had the vitamin D tests.

The researchers looked at the medical records of about 400,000 veterans from six VA medical centers in the Southeastern United States to find about 15,000 veterans who had a vitamin D level checked. Then they added up the total number of subsequent visits (inpatient and outpatient) and the total subsequent health care cost for each veteran, vitamin D tested or not.

As expected, outpatient costs were a little higher for veterans who had vitamin D testing. Then came the real shocker: inpatient costs were from 70% to 300% lower for veterans who’d had the vitamin D tests. The study also showed that the veterans who have been tested and effectively treated for their vitamin D deficiency have the lowest yearly inpatient costs, while the sites that have done the least testing had inpatient costs nearly triple that. While the authors were quick to point out vitamin D did not explain all of this huge difference, it clearly seemed to explain at least some of it and leaves one with the tragic reality that some of our veterans are dying needlessly.

I was so glad to see that the authors write, “The (local) VAMC has made a concerted effort to educate local health care providers regarding vitamin D deficiency over the past few years.” They went on the say, “Immediate implementation of this recommendation is highly desirable.” I agree. This is a public health problem that needs to be immediately treated with public health measures, including better sun exposure guidelines, supplementation guidelines, and food fortification.

Hats off to Drs. Beth Bailey, Todd Manning, and Alan Peiris, and my apologies to the others in the Tennessee VA system that I missed. They have discovered reduced total health care costs in veterans are associated with more vitamin D testing and less expensive subsequent hospital stays. They are government servants of the highest order. Therefore, it appears that Medicare has cut off its nose to spite its face, limiting vitamin D blood tests to save a little money, thus assuring that total costs of treating the elderly will be substantially higher. Now, how can we get this information to President Obama?

http://blog.vitamindcouncil.org/2012/03/10/the-cost-of-vitamin-d-blood-tests/

ds21 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ds21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2012 at 6:32pm
From today's New York Times

http://nyti.ms/zWJkgG

A pretty good article on vitamin D.

The VA story is very interesting, and another example where good quality medical care saves everyone money in the long run.  Prenatal care, hypertension, smoking cessation, transplant surgery, ...  Just wish the politicians would pay attention.

David

Edited by ds21 - Mar 13 2012 at 7:15pm
Co-survivor
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2012 at 7:12pm
David,

Thanks, good article.  Here's your link:

The one concern I have about the "Vital" Vitamin D study is they are only testing with 2,000 ius.  I believe they'll find higher levels are needed to adequately test the impact on heart disease, cancer and stroke.  

It's a shame medicare won't pay for the test.  It would save them money in the long run.

Donna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 45>
  Share Topic