FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vitamin D3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TNinTN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TNinTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 2:00pm
I just received the results from Susan's lab work. Her Vit D was only 41ng/ml. She has been taking around 5,000/day total when you add up the Vit D from her calcium+multivitamin+Vit D supplements. We are going to increase it some more (probably to around 8,000/day combined) and she is on her way to the pool. Hope we can get her levels up some more.

Martin
Wife age 53@dx TN IDC Stage IIA 7/10; BRCA1&2 Neg; BROCA Neg; LN Neg; taxol+cisplatin+/-RAD001x12(clinical trial); lumpectomy 12/10;ACx4; 33 Rads complete 4/11; NED 5/5/11
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 4:04pm
Martin,

I think increasing it like you mentioned should help, but give it a couple of months before checking again.  The natural sunlight will help too!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

LauraT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LauraT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 01 2011 at 6:11pm
I just had my levels checked again and they are up to 65. I had been taking around 5,000mg for awhile and then I upped it to around 9,000 for a couple of months. I do think being outside some helps too. I was told to take 2,000/day to maintain. Does that sound right?

Laura
DX 10/09 @44, Stage I IDC tnbc, DCIS other side, Neoadjuvant TCx4, Bilateral Mastectomy w/Recon 1/10, 1.2cm 0/7 Nodes, 5/11 Mets to Lungs/Lymph Nodes, Avastin/Taxol, 10/11 Bone Mets, Xgeva
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2011 at 10:38am

Vitamin D insufficiency associated with football injuries

The American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine's Annual Meeting held in San Diego was the site of a presentation on July 10, 2011 of the finding of Michael Shindle, MD of Summit Medical Group and his colleagues of a higher incidence of vitamin D insufficiency among National Football League players with muscle injuries.

The current study included 89 NFL players aged 21 to 32 years. Fifty-eight subjects were African American and 31 were Caucasian. Sixteen of the players suffered from a muscle injury. Vitamin D levels were tested in the spring of 2010 during routine pre-season evaluations.

Vitamin D deficiency, defined as a level of less than 20 nanograms per milliliter, was identified in 27 participants and insufficient levels of 20 to 31.9 nanograms per milliliter were observed in 45 subjects. Caucasian players had an average level of 30.3 nanograms per milliliter, while African Americans averaged 20.4 nanograms per milliliter. Among those with muscle injury, vitamin D levels averaged 19.9 nanograms per milliliter, which is considered deficient. "Eighty percent of the football team we studied had vitamin D insufficiency," commented Dr Shindle. "African American players and players who suffered muscle injuries had significantly lower levels."

"Screening and treatment of vitamin D insufficiency in professional athletes may be a simple way to help prevent injuries," added coauthor Scott A. Rodeo, MD, who is Co-Chief of the Sports Medicine and Shoulder Service at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

Joseph Lane, MD of the Hospital for Special Surgery, who also contributed to the study, concluded that "Further research also needs to be conducted in order to determine if increasing vitamin D leads to improved maximum muscle function."

http://www.lef.org/newsletter/2011/0715_Vitamin-D-Insufficiency-Associated-with-Football-Injuries.htm?source=eNewsLetter2011Wk28-2&key=Article&l=0#article

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Karen O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2011 at 10:57am
Wow.. now THAT"s interesting.  Esp. from a 'non-disease' point of view.  I think our ancestors got a lot more Vit D than we do now, and I think that maybe even our genetic make up has changed so that our skin absorption of Vit. D is not as efficient as it was a millenium ago.   Environmental/dietary factors also... I feel a lot of the 'crap' we injest (junk food full of preservatives, etc) blocks the vital absorption of a lot of vitamins/minerals.   If you look at the overal health statistics (blood work/chemesties) of Vegans, their vitamins and minerals are always over the top.  They are doing something right.    I just could never figure out how to be one and be happy at it :(  LOL
Stage III ICD/TNBC 9/07; lumpectomy A/C/Taxotere+rads; Stage IV bone mets 12/10. Xeloda and Gemzar, no good. On Navelbine + rads
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2011 at 1:26am

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2011 at 8:20am

Vitamin D Relieves Joint, Muscle Pain For Breast Cancer Patients

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/231782.php

This study was on ER+ BC patients taking aromatase inhibitors and how they benefited from Vitamin D supplementation.  However, I believe it proves the benefits of Vitamin D and helping women fight the chemo side effects of muscle and joint pain.  I just wish the study didn't use Vitamin D2 high dose and would have used Vitamin D3.  More proof of the benefits of Vitamin D supplementation for breast cancer patients.

jjane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 3:50pm
Hi
Ive just seen my Professor and he says at least 4000 iu day of D3 only and must be retested every two months to keep levels over 75.  I supplemented all through chemo and still do and have not yet achieved level of 75 in blood but am getting there as was only taking 2000 iu day initially.
Sun also very important to make D3.
Jjane x
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 9:41pm
This is from the Vitamin D Council:

Low vitamin D impairs strength recovery after knee surgery
August 1, 2011

This weekend, scientists from an American medical institution published a study that has practical implications for patients undergoing ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) surgery.

The study, by a group in Utah, may have answered in part the long sought question of why some patients do well after knee surgery (quickly regain strength in their quadriceps) and some do not. Dr. Tyler Barker, of the Orthopedic Specialty Hospital in Murray, Utah, and his colleagues at the University of Utah (where I did a surgical internship back in 1976) discovered that vitamin D levels are associated with muscle strength recovery after knee surgery (anterior cruciate repair). Those with levels above 30 ng/ml recovered much better than those with levels below 30 ng/ml.

Tyler Barker, Thomas B. Martins, Harry R. Hill, Carl R. Kjeldsberg, Roy H. Trawick, Lindell K. Weaver, and Maret G. Traber Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine. published 29 July 2011, 10.1177/2156587211413768

I found it somewhat disappointing that the authors refused to say that vitamin D deficiency should be treated before knee surgery. All they would say was that Americans should fund more studies before any action is taken. Of course this is neither practical or ethical, as physicians are (and always have been) obligated to act on what is known now -- not on what may or may not be discovered in the future. Randomized trials of vitamin D supplemention need to be undertaken to discover what the optimum vitamin D level for knee surgery is. But such trials will take years, while orthopedists need to act, or not, now.

-John J. Cannell, M.D.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2011 at 8:29pm
Another article from the Vitamin D Council newsletter.  While the study is on colon cancer, I can't help but think there might be a parallel with breast cancer.  Most of us with TNBC have extremely low levels of Vitamin D at diagnosis.

New Study on the Role of Vitamin D in Colon Cancer
8/17/11

Professor Hector Palmer and his co-researchers at the Vall d'Hebron Institute of Oncology in Barcelona, Spain, announced this morning the reason vitamin D may be an effective treatment early in the course of colon cancer, yet have little effect later as the cancer becomes more widely spread.

Larriba MJ, Ordóńez-Morán P, Chicote I, Martín-Fernández G, Puig I, et al. 2011 Vitamin D Receptor Deficiency Enhances Wnt/β-Catenin Signaling and Tumor Burden in Colon Cancer. PLoS ONE 6(8): e23524. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0023524

Vitamin D, in the form of the vitamin D receptor, slows the action of a key carcinogenic protein, beta-catenin. The problem arises when the tumor start to grow and, like in many cancers, reduces the presence of VDR, and finally there is simply not enough VDR to counteract the beta-catenin. And then the tumor takes over.

However, what I really like is Professor Palmer’s statement about what vitamin D can be expected to do. He says, “In light of these findings, chronic vitamin D deficiency represents a risk factor in the development of more aggressive colon tumors.” I also like United Press International’s summary of the study: “Patients in the initial stages of colon cancer, when the vitamin D receptor still has a substantial presence in the cells, could benefit from vitamin D3, but this would not be useful in the advanced stages when the presence of the vitamin D receptor is very much reduced.”

Vitamin D receptor slows colon tumors

That is pretty much what we see in studies of patients with colon cancer. High vitamin D levels appear to slow the growth of colon cancer only in some people, and we now can suspect those people are mainly patients with early stages of colon cancer and healthy numbers of VDRs.

It is a common and sad story. One of the first things most cancers do, early in their growth, is ramp-down the machinery that increases vitamin D production in the cell and ramp-up production of the machinery that gets rid of vitamin D in the cell.

What we hope (and some think it’s more than just hope) is that maintaining physiological vitamin D levels for years and years before you get cancer will ward off the disease. Although some studies support that, not all do, and only time will tell if our hope is grounded in reality.

-John J. Cannell

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 2:11pm
Boy Donna you are the Vitamin D guru here. :)  I thank you for all the information you have brought to this forum on Vitamin D...it has been very helpful. 

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 2:29pm
Craig,

Thanks for the link, good info.  I knew nothing of Vitamin D3 until I joined this forum and Nancy, Connie, Mainy and others started talking to me about it.  I didn't get tested until I was thru with chemo and found out I was deficient.  What a shock!  I think this should be an automatic blood test given during yearly checkups with the ob/gyn, just like a mammogram and pap smear.  If a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer, this should be an automatic test too.  OK, need to get off my soapbox.  There are so many physicians that still don't understand about Vitamin D.  Luckily my rad onc notices the connection over a decade ago and has participated in studies on treatment and levels of corresponding Vitamin D.

Donna

Charlene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 3:27pm
At my annual physical this past month, I was surprised to learn that Vitamin D testing had been part of my yearly blood work.  I never knew until I asked about having it tested.  One year before diagnosis I was 44, last year midway during chemo I was 32, and fortunately this year I am up to 69.  I also learned about the importance of Vitamin D from this forum.  As a result, I have been taking a multivitamin with 1000 IU and an additional D3 supplement for 2000 IU more.  I also get lots of sun.
Charlene
DX 3/10 @59 ILC/TNBC
Stage 1, Grade 2, Multifocal; Lumpectomy/re-excision
SNB 0/4 nodes, BRCA-; Taxotere/Cytoxan X4, 30 rads
3/14:NED
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 9:16pm
Charlene,

That is really good news about your Vitamin D levels!

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 9:18pm
Higher levels of Vitamin D may decrease estrogen and progesterone levels and reduce breast cancer risk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19916051

Cancer Causes Control. 2010 Mar;21(3):479-83.

Vitamin D association with estradiol and progesterone in young women.

Source

Prosserman Centre for Health Research, Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada. knight@lunenfeld.ca

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Vitamin D may reduce breast cancer risk through an effect on steroid hormones in cycling women.We conducted a study to determine whether there is an association between circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25(OH)D) and estradiol and progesterone in young women.

METHODS:

Volunteer women aged 18-22 and not using hormonal contraceptives were recruited during summer and winter. They provided demographic and lifestyle information and a blood sample. Women recruited in winter gave a second sample after taking vitamin D supplement for 4 weeks. There were 101 women sampled during the luteal phase (1-14 days prior to the start of the next menstrual period). Generalized estimating equation linear regression models were used to examine the relationship between 25(OH)D and estradiol and progesterone.

RESULTS:

Per increase of 10 nmol/l of 25(OH)D, progesterone multiplicatively decreased by a factor of 10% (95% CI 5-14%, p < 0.001) and estradiol decreased by a factor of 3% (95% CI 0-6%, p = 0.04) after adjustment for age, body mass index, ethnicity, season, alcohol use, smoking, and physical activity.

CONCLUSIONS:

Higher levels of vitamin D may reduce progesterone and estradiol, providing a potential mechanism for reduction in breast cancer risk from increased vitamin D exposure in young women.

PMID:
[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 3:19pm
One thing I forgot to mention that I read on another site...sorry do not remember the site...they said to take vitamins before you go to sleep at night.  Their thoughts were if you were to take them during the day, specifically in the morning, they would leave your body when you use the bathroom.  Not sure if this is accurate...have not looked into it but I thought I would pass it along

Craig
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 7:13pm
Craig, I'm of a mind that whatever I do will be wrong somehow someway! I have noticed that some pills specifically say to take in am or pm and those are the ones that I try and do 'correctly' but I have to laugh...who says a lady doesn't pee at night???
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Craig76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2011 at 7:35pm
LOL @ Main!

You are so right. :)
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2011 at 1:11pm
Vitamin D and cancer campaign launched today

SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA, September 6, 2011 – The Vitamin D Council, a nonprofit educational corporation based in California, launches their “Vitamin D and Cancer” campaign today, presenting 20 detailed summaries of the evidence on the role of vitamin D in preventing cancer. Epidemiologist Dr. William Grant prepared the evidence-based summaries. He is the founder of the nonprofit organization, Sunlight, Nutrition and Health Research Center (SUNARC) and serves as the Science Director for the Vitamin D Council.

Some researchers believe the link between vitamin D sufficiency and a decreased risk in cancer is promising. A randomized controlled trial found a 77% reduction in all-cancer incidence when the study group supplemented with 1100 IU/day of vitamin D plus 1450 mg/day calcium. Says Dr. Grant, “Based on various studies of UVB, vitamin D and cancer to date, it appears that global cancer burden can be reduced by 15-25% if everyone had vitamin D blood levels above 40 ng/ml.”

The summaries can be found under the “Health conditions” tab on the Vitamin D Council website, or more specifically at http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health-conditions/cancer/. The Vitamin D Council hopes the campaign will spread more awareness about the importance of vitamin D sufficiency and the dangers of vitamin D deficiency.

Top ten facts about vitamin D and cancer (presented in the summaries):
  1. Many studies have found solar ultraviolet-B (UVB) and vitamin D associated with reduced risk of breast, colon, and rectal cancer.
  2. A randomized controlled trial with 1100 IU/day vitamin D3 plus 1450 mg/day calcium found a 77% reduction in all-cancer incidence.
  3. Geographical studies have found reduced risk in mortality rates for 20 types of cancer in regions of higher solar UVB doses.
  4. Observational studies have found that the risk of breast, colon, and rectal cancer fall as vitamin D blood levels rise at least up to 40 ng/mL (100 nmol/L).
  5. Mechanisms have been proposed to explain how vitamin D acts to reduce the risk of cancer from starting, growing, and spreading.
  6. Those who develop nonmelanoma skin cancer may have produced enough vitamin D to reduce their risk of internal cancers.
  7. Those with higher vitamin D blood levels at time of cancer diagnosis had nearly twice the survival rate of those with the lowest levels.
  8. African-Americans have an increased risk of cancer in part due to lower vitamin D blood levels because of darker skin.
  9. Higher UVB exposure early in life has been found associated with reduced risk of breast and prostate cancer.
  10. Those diagnosed with breast, colon and prostate cancer in summer in Norway had higher survival rates than those diagnosed in winter.

HappyGoLucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HappyGoLucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2011 at 3:09pm
I believe this with my heart and soul, Donna. When I stopped going to beach as I had for decades I began my cancer inflamation in 2006.

Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 45>
  Share Topic