FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recipe Exchange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recipe Exchange
    Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 5:19pm
Hello Everyone,

With most of us interested in improving our diet, I thought it might be a good idea to have a new forum where members can post Healthy Recipes.  I know I'm always on the search for interesting and healthy recipes to try.  Since we've included some other discussion topics under Support Groups, I thought it might fit best here.  What do you think? 

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 8:39pm
Donna,
There was/is a topic..Anticancer diet, started by dmayes...Debs, on the TNBC Talk forum but I would have to search to see which page. There were several recipes that people had posted, and then it got kind of "lost". Debs and I still exchange recipes, and they all use organic items and are without sugar. Maybe I could copy and paste some of the recipes here? Let me know. Or perhaps we need to just pull up that thread? Maybe Arlene could advise?
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 8:45pm
Nancy,

Either way would be fine with me.  It would be nice to have some type of place to go to when looking for healthy recipes.
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

tamy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 12:47pm
well I love cooking and trying new thing and I know there is a lot of people that love that too, that's why I want to share this free recipes, I love a lot of them so I hope you like them too. :)
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 1:06pm
For breakfast:   3-1/3 cups milk brought to scald temp in saucepan, add 1 cup Irish steel cut oatmeal, bring up in temp again, add 2 apples 1/4'd then 1/4'd again (if organic don't peel), 1 Tablespoon cinnamon. Cook in 350 oven for approx 45 minutes covered. Makes enough for 3 healthy appetites. Refrigerates well.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 12:08am
Hey, does anyone have a good pumpkin pie recipe that is very low fat but still tasty?  We have been put in charge of dessert for Thursday.
Love,
Denise (hungry just thinking about it)
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 2:15am
I have a pumpkin custard recipe (pie without the crust or with--I MODIFIED IT TO INCLUDE THE CRUST SO KEEP AN EYE ON THE TIME) and it's low sugar and low fat!

PUMKIN CUSTARD:    OVEN 325F

1 CUP CANNED PUMKIN PUREE
1/4 TSP GROUND CINNAMON
1/2 TSP SEA SALT
1/2 TSP GROUND GINGER
1/8 TSP GROUND CARDAMOM
PINCH OF NUTMEG
2 ORGANIC EGGS
1/3 CUP GRADE B ORGANIC MAPLE SYRUP OR 1/4 CUP AGAVE SYRUP (THIS IS SWEETER, LIKE HONEY BY LOW GLYCEMIC)
1 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT
1 CUP ORGANIC MILK OR SOY MILK (I ALSO USE ORGANIC ALMOND MILK, UNSWEETED)

STIR PUMPKIN, CINNAMON, SALT, GINGER, CARDAMON & NUTMEG TOGETHER IN A LARGE BOWL.  IN A SMALLER BOWL LIGHTLY BEAT THE EGGS THEN WHISK IN MAPLE SYRUP, VANILLA & MILK.  wHISK THE EGG MIXTURE INTO THE PUMKIN MIXTURE UNTIL WELL COMBINED.

POUR THE CUSTARD INTO 6 1/2-CUP RAMEKINS.  PLACE THE RAMEKINS IN A 3" DEEP PAN AND ADD ENOUGH HOT WATER TO THE PAN TO COME UP 2" HIGH AROUND THE RAMEKINS.  CAREFULLY TRANSFER TO THE OVEN AND BAKE FOR 45-55 MINUTES UNTIL A KNIFE INSERTED INTO CENTER COMES OUT CLEAN.  SERVE WARM OR CHILLED.

TO USE THIS AS A PIE WITH A SPELT CRUST:

1 1/4 CUPS WHOLE WHEST PASTRY FLOUR
1 CUP SPELT FLOUR
2 TSP NO ALUMINUM BAKING POWDER
1/2 TSP SEA SALT
1/2 CUP FILTERED WATER
1/4 CUP EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL (ORGANIC COCONUT OIL MIGHT WORK TOO)
1 TSP GRADE B ORGANIC MAPLE SYRUP

COMBINE WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, SPELT FLOUR, BAKING POWDER & SALT IN A FOOD PROCESSOR FOR 10 SECONDS TO MIX.  SEPARATELY, WHISK WATER, OLIVE OIL & MAPLE SYRUP TOGETHER THEN POUR OVER THE FLOUR MIXTURE AND PULSE UNTIL THE DOUGH COMES TOGETHER.  GATHER THE DOUGH AND FORM IT INTO A ROUND FLAT DISK.  WRAP IN PLASTIC WRAP AND REFRIGERATE FOR 30 MINUTES.

ON A LIGHTLY FLOURED SURFACE, ROLL DOUGH OUT TO 2" LARGER THAN YOUR PIE PAN.  fILL THE PIE PAN, FOLD OVER THE EDGES OF THE DOUGH AND CRIMP WITH YOUR FINGERS OR A FORK TO SEAL. 

FILL WITH PIE FILLING AND BAKE 45-55 MINUTES.

maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 2:23am
An alternate to pumpkin pie is pumkin mousse.  You can make the crust in advance (though this adds calories and fat) or you can make it in individual ramekins without a crust:

SPICED PUMPKIN MOUSSE:

2 15 OZ CANS PUMPKIN PUREE
1 LP PKG SILKEN ORGANIC TOFU, DRAINED WELL
1/2 CUP ORGANIC MAPLE SYRUP (OR AGAVE SYRUP, USE SLIGHTLY LESS BY TASTE)
1 1/2 TSP CINNAMON
3/4 TSP GINGER
1/4 TSP NUTMEG
1/4 TSP CLOVES
1/4 TSP SEA SALT
1/2 CUP NON-FAT ORGANIC PLAIN GREEK YOGURT
1 OZ ORGANIC DARK CHOCOLATE 70 % OR MORE

IN A FOOD PROCESSOR COMBINE PUMPKIN & TOFU ABOUT 30 SECONDS.  ADD MAPLE SYRUP, CINNAMON, GINGER, NUTMEG, CLOVES AND SALT FOR ANOTHER 30 SECONDS. 

TRANSFER MOUSSE TO A CONTAINER, COVER AND REFRIGERATE FOR 4 HOURS.

DRAIN ANY WATER THAT HAS ACCUMULATED FROM MOUSSE,  STIR IT AND SCOOP 1/2 CUP MOUSSE INTO 10 SMALL RAMEKINS.

TOP EACH RAMEKIN WITH 2 TSP YOGURT & 1 TSP CHOCOLATE

REFRIGERATE UNTIL SERVING
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 7:05am
It would be wonderful if you would include carbs and calories with your recipes. I am a diabetic along with everything else, so that info would be very helpful.
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 10:49am
Thank you MaryJahn!!    Now I'll have to find time today to sneak out of work and buy the ingredients.
Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
maryjahn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryjahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2009 at 11:23am
THE PUMPKIN CUSTARD (WITHOUT CRUST)

CALORIES: 110  1.4 G SATURATED FAT  1 G MONOUNSATURATED FAT   CARBS:  18 G  PROTEIN: 4 G  FIBER: 1 G SODIUM: 240 MG

PUMPKIN MOUSSE (WITHOUT CRUST)

CALORIES:  130  1.4 G SATURATED FAT 1.1 G MONOUNSATURATED FAT CARBS: 22 G FIBER: 4 G SUGARS: 14 G (IF DIABETIC USE YOUR RECOMMENDED SWEETENER OR AGAVE SYRUP WHICH IS LOW GLYCEMIC AND BETTER FOR YOU)  PROTEIN: 4 G SODIUM: 60 MG CHOLESTEROL: 0 MG
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2009 at 6:42am
Thank you Maryjahn. Most  helpful. Can't wait to try it.
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 5:06pm
Another recipe and for those who are avoiding all dairy products

Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2012 at 12:31am
Hi,

Found this prior thread started by Donna.
Realize there are several threads on nutrition, "anti-cancer" diets and foods, etc. (See note below.)

Bringing this thread to top of forum topics in case there is interest to share recipes.
Also, maybe if one is looking for " a healthy version" of something, one could ask on this thread.
Then, if someone had such a recipe, that member could post.
For example, remember Donna posted a recipe for Kale Chips......a healthy version of potato chips.
    I have not tried that recipe but will give the link:
             http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/issues/2011-october/recipekalechips.html

With any recipe given, it would great to give the nutrition info per serving ( Calories, Total Fat,
Sat Fat, Protein, Carbo, Sugars etc) if known.

With caring and positive thoughts,
Grateful for today..............Judy

Note: Links to prior diet/nutrition related threads:
You probably have seen some/most of the following.
Will repeat the links here in one place for you to look at if you wish.

How important is healthy eating?
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/how-important-is-healthy-eating_topic9580.html

Lifestyle changes.
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/lifestyle-changes_topic9493.html

Antiinflammatory diet.
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/antiinflammatory-diet_topic9509.html

Anticancer: a new way of life              
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/anticancer-a-new-way-of-life_topic8939.html

Cookbooks
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/cookbooks_topic9071.html

Supplements/vitamins/diet
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/supplements-vitamins-diet_topic9218.html

Nutrition, diet, exercise on p. 2 of:
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/open-access-links-articles-tnbc_topic9440_page2.html

Diet suggestions?
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/diet-suggestions_topic9671_post98692.html?KW=cookbooks#98692

Anti-Cancer Diet - links/recipes/topics
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/anti-cancer-diet-links-recipes-info_topic3850_page3.html

Vitamin D
(If you already know your vitamin D level, great.
If you do not know your vitamin D level, you may want to have level checked and if low, discuss
        a plan with your MD for Vitamin D3 supplementation.)
http://forum.tnbcfoundation.org/vitamin-d3_topic5338_page26.html

Audio workshops from CancerCare.
**Nutrition, physical activity and you: A guide for people living with cancer**
Main focus is weight loss or weight gain.
Topics Covered:   Overview of Cancer Related Weight Changes. Causes of Weight Loss or Weight Gain
            Talking to Your Health Care Team about Strategies for Managing Your Weight
            Nutritional Concerns and Tips.   Benefits of Physical Activity. Questions for Our Panel of Experts
http://www.cancercare.org/connect_workshops/256-nutrition_physical_activity_and_you_2011-11-15
**Importance of nutrition and physical activity**
http://www.cancercare.org/connect_workshops/94-cancer_nutrition_2009-05-19

Edited by Grateful for today - Jul 14 2012 at 1:28am
Grateful for today View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grateful for today Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2013 at 2:51pm
Mindy posted earlier today:

Originally posted by mindy555 mindy555 wrote:

................In fact, I've often thought it would be a real asset to have a place here- designated for exchanging all kinds of healthy recipes.

xxx M

Thus, bumping up this prior thread.    Thanks Donna for starting it awhile ago.

Found the following this past week......have not tried but it looked good.
Prefer recipes that give grams fat/carb/ etc....oh, well.
So, hoping this healthy looking recipe is really healthy!

From Smashed Peas and Carrots:       No-Bake Energy Bites
http://smashedpeasandcarrots.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-bake-energy-bites-recipe.html

No-Bake Energy Bites
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
Mix everything above in a medium bowl until thoroughly incorporated. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls and enjoy! Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.      Makes 18-20

I tried to put the ingredients into a recipe calculator:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
but did not get to far.
Does anyone have a good recipe calculator when grams of fat/carb/ etc is not given?

Grateful for today............Judy

Donna posted a recipe for Kale Chips......a healthy version of potato chips.
    I have not tried that recipe but will give the link:
             http://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/issues/2011-october/recipekalechips.html

Edited by Grateful for today - Apr 24 2013 at 5:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic