FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tc chemo side effects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rvbk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvbk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tc chemo side effects
    Posted: Oct 04 2009 at 6:13am
Hi, this is my first question as a new member.   I will start TC in about a week. I am trying to decide whether to have chemo on Fridays or wait until MOnday mornings. Specifically, I am trying to participate in particular activities during weeks 2 and 3 after the chemo treatment in the first set. (I'll be getting 4 sets, one every 3 weeks, to be followed by 6 weeks radiation). I see there is varying nausea within first few days, but how tired will I be in weeks 2 and 3, especially during the first set? Also, any pros or cons to having treatments on Friday afternoon as opposed to Monday morning? I am planning on taking the week off work on the first and possibly 2nd sets, then the 3rd and 4th happen during Thanksgiving and XMAS breaks already in place. Appreciate any advice on amount of side effects in weeks 2 and 3 each time, and managing those.   I'm 48, lumpectomy, stage 1. RVBK

unklez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unklez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 10:21am
Dear RVBK,

No one ever replied to your post. I know we were having some website issues during October and that possibly explains why you fell thru' the cracks so to say.

Everyone reacts a little differently and handles side effects from chemo differently. By now you may have figured out your good and bad days but I will still post my wife's experience with AC-->T. She has fatigue on the chemo day, next 3-5 days she is prone to nausea and vomiting for which she gets medicines that work fine however they make her constipated. The next 2-4 days she has fever and body ache (from Neulasta we think).

She is getting her chemos on Mondays biweekly and works from home the week before each chemo. But if she were to go in to work, she'd probably choose Friday afternoons which is usually a light day at most companies.

Wife Dx: Jul/09. Age: 37. Size: 3cm. BRCA: -ve. Lumpectomy: Aug/09. Micromet 1/9 node. Chemo Start: Sep/09. E5103. DD ACB-> DD Abraxane (Taxol reaction). Zometa (S0307). Canadian Fraction Rads.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 11:52am
rvbk,

By now you have started chemo. I hope you are tolerating it well. My work week was wed. thru sat. so I had chemo Monday mornings and was good to go by Wed. On the 3rd chemo I took 1/2 day wed. off and the 4th, I took it off completely. 2nd and 3rd week were fine.

I felt a big help in energy level was having accuuncture immediately after chemo. I did not do it with the first round and felt a tremendous difference after starting it with the 2nd round.  I have done accupuncture as a "tune up"  several times after tx and really didn't feel any benefit so haven't gone back to it. It also helped with freeing up my "frozen shoulder."
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
Carol (Tenn) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 1:25pm
Dear RVBK,
 I am soooo sorry Embarrassed that you never got a response. That is totally not like the members here. As Unklez said, we were having a lot of posting problems as the site was totally refurbished. Again I apologize and hope you did okay with your chemo and were able to do the things you wanted.
Please don't give up on us and let us know how you are doing.
Love and Prayers,
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2009 at 2:11pm
Rvbk,

I just saw your post also.  Usually you'll get almost an immediate response to your question, but there have been some website problems lately.  I think most of them have been worked out. 

Welcome and let us know how you're tolerating your treatment.  I had the same chemo as you.  I would have my treatment on a Thursday.  Would feel fine that night (except the steroid rush from the premeds) and on Friday.  I'd get the Neulasta shot of Friday afternoon.  I'd notice feeling a little tired and achy over the weekend and have more of the bone/joint pain usually Sunday through Monday.  A lot of the side effects were from the Neulasta shot (flu like), but you need it to keep your white blood count up.  The first week following chemo I never felt like I had much energy.  Good luck and let us know your you're doing.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

HolliBeri View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolliBeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 4:00pm
I had my TC on weds. and started feeling pretty bad by Sunday. Gradual downward spiral and would feel better a week later
DX age 45:12/08 IDC & DCIS TNBC. 2/09:lumpectomy, 2 cm, grade 3, -nodes, stage IIa, BRCA- Chemo:Taxotere/Cytoxan x4.Double mastectomy 6/09. Zometa   http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/hollisimpsongough
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 10:20pm
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 10:28pm
Hello Everyone,
 I am hoping to find someone else in a similar position to the one I am in. or just someone to share the journey with. I am 42 with 3 young children, and have just been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in my supraclavicular, mediastinal lymph nodes and also my liver. I have low volume disease (small tumours) and I am hoping this will add to my longevity. I am on abraxane 3 times a month - one week off per month. My tumour is histologically triple negative, so I was very happy to stumble upon this wonderful website. I am having trouble digesting the fact that the chemo will never end, even though I am tolerating it well. Is there anyone out there who has been on abraxane long term, would love to her how you're feeling a few months down the track... would love a reply,
Shaz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 11:03pm
Dear Shaz,
I can't help you with your request but I'm sure someone will answer soon. But I can welcome you here with a bunch of caring, encouraging, and knowledgable people
I also want to invite you to visit our Spiritual Support forum if you have a need for that.
Love and Prayers,
Carol
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
shaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2009 at 11:36pm
Thankyou Carol,

I certainly will take a look at the spiritual support forum,

Sharon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol (Tenn) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 2:59am
Shaz,
Can you tell me what if any symptoms you had with the liver mets?
St 2 Gr 3, A/C/T, DD
Radiation x35
Rec chest wall 07/09
Radiation x28
NED 10/24/11
NED 10/5/12
NED 03/15/13
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2009 at 8:00am
Shaz,

Welcome to this side and so sorry you had to join us.  There are some amazing people on this site that will help you through your journey.  Please stay positive.

May I make one suggestion?  Create a New Topic and post your story again.  Under subject matter maybe type something like "New Member with Abraxane Question" or something similar to your story (like your type of diagnosis).  That way other members who've had a similar diagnosis or who are using Abraxane will chime in much faster. 

Good luck and I hope you get some answers.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic