FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TN - Starting Chemo TOMORROW! 9-03-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TN - Starting Chemo TOMORROW! 9-03-09
    Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 7:36am
Well after 3 looooooong months, a diagnosis of kidney cancer, kidney tumor removed, that out of the way I am FINALLY starting chemo tomorow.  

Before I start chemo I have to have ANOTHER ultrasound of my axilla nodes and a biopsy of one of the nodes to rule out cancer in the lymph nodes because my CT w/contrast said I had "multiple" enlarged nodes but my ultrasound of my axilla nodes showed a larger node but it was "fluid filled" which is good and showed no other enlarged nodes.   Oncologist wants confirmation why he has 2 differing reports.    Uh, yeah me too.

So, I have to have the ultrasound/biopsy at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow and then after they find out the results (should take about an hour) THEN I can go start my first chemo treatment which will be AC.

For those of you who have been there/done that is there anything I need to know before I start chemo?   I know I'll be having either 3 or 4 AC treatments but the rest is up in the air until I get results of the lymph node tomorrow.

Is there anything I should expect?   Is there anything I should do?    Take with me to chemo?   Just what would YOU have wanted to know before your first chemo.........I wanna know it!    lol

Thanks so much and I am looking forward to hearing what ya'll have to say!
diane1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diane1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 8:00am
Hey Tabatha,

Well I am not sure about AC.....I just completed 12 weekly treatments of Taxol. I wait two weeks then start FAC. I will do those once every three weeks for four treatments. I am nervous about those. I did start a forum on that one.

As far as PRE CHEMO.....Well I say Drink,Drink,Drink, water. I took my mp3 player and a blanket with me. I also had very long hair. I was told go ahead and get it cut short so you can handle it better.....Well I did and dang it went short, short, well lets just say NOW BALD....

I hope you get good test results and I wish you the best on this journey we call (CHEMO)

May God Bless Us All

Edited by diane1234 - Sep 02 2009 at 8:01am
dx 4/09 at 36 yrs old. dbl Mast. 5/09. 12 weekly Taxol 4 FAC tri weekly. 32 rads completed 2/2010. Its Back 5/2010!! Chest wall, Mediastinal node, Lft mammary node and liver. Back on chemo.
Nancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 8:28am
Tabatha,

Apparently I did not send you the directions for retrieving the info from here on the site? I will send you a private message with my email address.

Just go to the TNBC News, Resources & tips forum....click right on those words, and then scroll down the page to "forum topics". The chemo tips are on page 2 of that forum...click on page 2, and then chemo tips, then printable version. They are quite long, but are worth every piece of paper and the ink to print them outBig%20smile
Hugs,
Nancy
Nancy
DD Lori dx TNBC June 13,2007
Lumpectomy due to incorrect dx of a cyst
mastectomy July 6 2007
chemo ACT all 3 every 3 weeks 6 tx Aug-Nov
28 rads ended Jan 2008
susied View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 1:44pm
Tabitha,

Had my first AC, 2 weeks ago, 2nd yesterday and had good outcomes both times.....the first was high anxiety but the gals in my chemo center were sweet and informative and eased me thru each step and made me comfortable, they talked and kept me busy and not thinking of what was really going on...took a book and never read a page they kept me so busy teaching me what was going on and what to expect from each step....I had a personal Chemo RN with me exclusively the whole session which was great............... I.had my Emend 1 hr before and had no nausea or even icky feelings on following days.  A little reflux but nothing else....knock wood as I know all this could change in the blink of an eye.......

The day before and the day of I drank lots of water....ate fairly well & slept ok......walked in scared to death but who doesn't.......shocked at how I felt when it was done....it was like, ok, like I DID IT!!!!!!!  One down!  Yesterday was 2 Down......one at a time.......

I wish you my same good outcome becasue mine has been scary good and I would wish this for everyone.......losing my hair tho....started today and I am sad and feeling vunerable but that is the worst so far....I am grateful for that !Big%20smileUnhappy

susied (Carole)

Edited by susied - Sep 02 2009 at 1:53pm
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 4:11pm
Tabitha, after what you've already been through the chemo infusion may almost seem like a let down of anticipation!

I liked the idea one of the members talked about of taking ice water and soaking hands in it to help offset the neuopathy. It sounded like an easy and successful thing to do.

I now have non-BP bottles I carry with me. They have good cold water there and I would fill up for my ride home.

Also,don't know why but they have all kinds of high fat food sitting on the counters where I went so I always packed my own lunch and things to munch on. You'll find the sheer stress of the first time, you'll certainly burn up the calories and it's good to bring cut up apples, celery, fresh fruit, carrots, your own sandwiches or whatever. You'll be there awhile and I never wanted to have rich foods on my tummy just in case I got nauseated.

For me, they gave me the steroid Dexamethasone to help counteract nausea. Worked like a charm, too powerful and we knocked back the doseage by half and it was still fine. Side effects, it pumped up my energy and I was unable to sleep well. sigh, there's always something.

I'm not sure you'll be reading your first time, get used to checking hte bags of chemo to make sure they are bringing to you the meds that are yours, become a checkaholic.

Ask lots of questions, rate of drip, length of time, etc. When you first go in make sure that you request copies of any tests (blood) that are given that day, just make it a habit to ask each time. You'll do fine, a part of you I'm sure is just relieved to start the process.

A few times I took a little DVD player and saw movies, it was easier for me than reading.
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 4:37pm
Water, water, water!  The A of the AC will turn your urine red for a bit - that started right away for me, during the treatment.  I was glad I'd been warned, it looks like blood but it's just the drug coming thru.  No need to do the ice bath with the AC - save that for the Taxol or whatever taxene they put you on next. 

I too ended up only doing 1/2 of the steroids and it worked ok.  The steroids kept me from sleeping and I felt jittery.

I would start taking some form of laxative right away - I did Milk of Magnesia.  The constipation many get can make you feel awful.  Once I started doing the MOM the night before, and for 2-3 days after I was much better.  Have Rolaids or some other tummy settler around - I ate loads of them and felt better.  Water may start tasting rotten, so be prepared with mix in lemonade, raspberry tea or whatever flavor you like.  You CANNOT stop drinking lots of water, whatever it takes to get it down.  I lost my appetite by day 3, but you have to keep eating.  Whatever you can get down - I drank a lot of milk shakes on AC, and ate lots of macaroni & cheese.  By day 7-8 my appetite would roar back, I'd be ravenous and eating was AWESOME suddenly. 

If you feel nauseous for any length of time CALL YOUR DOCTOR - day or night, weekend or whatever - and get them to call in a different anti-nausea.  Everyone is different - change until you find one that works!  You should not throw up. 

Rest, take care of yourself and let those that love you take care of you as well. This is your time to focus on you and what you have to do.  Best wishes to you - and let us know how you do! 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
susied View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 5:00pm
My chemo center makes us eat.....darn near an order!!!!  I go at 9;30Am and by 10 they are in front of me with the menu clipboard....we have lots of selections, and fruit, veggies, bagels all day long..... and they watch us like hawks to make sure we eat most of what we order...........they're reasoning is when at  home we might not eat a proper meal and we have a good base from there..........

I take Emend and get Dex for the following 2 days....quite a hit when you come down but full of energy until you do......"my" nurse shows me the infusion pack before she even hooks it to my PICC and scans my bar code.....

Decided to revert back to my mother's constipatiom remedy and stewed prunes and dried apricots and eat 1 or the other every morning......works like a charm so I avoid any more meds than I have to.......turns lots of people off to think of prunes but whatever works.......and they do for me.

I guess I am getting a proper mix (so to speak) or have a good constitution or something becasue I have had absolutly no nausea (little reflux, easily treated chewing some ginger) and no real lose of appetite.....sad to say!

Hope some of this helps & good luck....I'll keep you close in my thoughts tomorrow...

susied
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 5:00pm
Dear Tabitha,

Others here have given you good advice and you will receive more I am sure..

I just wanted to tell you that you are in my prayers..

in your corner,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Kazza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 6:18pm
Hey Tabitha
Just wanted to say hope things went well today -well it is the 9th here anyhow.  Lots of great advice given. I agree Water , water water but it does taste awful for a couple of days.  I have gone to apple juice and seems to be working.

One of my Onc's registars said to me before I started that we are in the 21st century now so there is absolutley no need for us to suffer continual vommitting - as one of the girls said if it happens let them know straight away and they can and will get it under control.

One down - yippee for you.

After all you have been through it must be a small relief to move to the next phase.

How did you get on with your results??

Hugs and best wishes
Kazza
dx June 2009
Mas 30/june IDC, TN, Grade 3
3/18 nodes, Stage 2b?? Tum 4cm,2cm and 1cm

Age 39
Ouch - too stubborn for this beast got too much to do!!!
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2009 at 6:21pm
Just a note, I had the Taxol first and didn't have any neuropathy, got it right away with the AC
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Tabatha00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tabatha00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 2:01pm
Well, I did it.   First chemo is under my belt and so far I feel just fine and dandy (knock on wood....lol)   

I just wanted to come in and let everyone know how my ultrasound/biopsy of the enlarged node went.    The radiologist said the node was on the large side but said it looked completely normal.   He went ahead and did a fine needle aspiration and the cystology team looked at the cells under a microscope.  Apparently there were a few positive cells but that's o.k.    I can handle microscopic.   The radiologist said only 1 node even showed up (the one they did the biopsy on) and that because the node looks completely normal that is a FANTASTIC sign that the positive cells in the node are very very early.    So I am considering that great news!!!!!

I have my AC treatment after and it went really well.   The nurses were GREAT and I felt God's presence there with me.  

We are back at the hotel now and I'm just afraid I'll get sick but the nurses said I should NOT get sick so I am just drinking as much as I can and get everything flushed out.   We live 2.5 hours away from where I am getting treatment so my husband and I have been up since 3:30 this morning and we are woe out.    lol

God is GOOD!!!!!!    Thank you all for your prayers!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic