FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taxol
    Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 8:36am
Hi,
been awhile since I've posted.  I just started phase II of chemo and had my 1st of 12 doses of taxol.  Had it on Tues. I felt a little pukey on Wed., but mananged w/ compazine.  last night I started hurting and aching. I was up pretty much all night, not able to get comfortable and woke up this morning feeling like I've beaten up.  Ribs, shoulders, arms so sore...hips too.  Just wondering....is this the norm for what ever norm is??
I am usually pretty positive, but just havent been able to get my head in the right place before I started this round.
thanks!
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
Brain Met, 6 cm 5-28-10 (surgery)
Gamma Knife: July'10,August'10, Sept.'10
WBR, October 10 (x15)
diane1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diane1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 8:47am
Judy,

I will be completing #10 of my 12 weekly taxol on Monday. With the Taxol I feel flu like. I am thankful that I have had very little nausea. I have had some headaches and I feel as though something is in my throat. My onc. said that I should take Pepsid for that. I guess it is a reflux thing.

You and I have similar DX. I was DX on 4/28/2009 TN IDC Stage IIB

I had a mastectomy on 5/21/2009. Which removed a 4.7 cm tumor and removed 13 lymph nodes of which 3 tested positive for cancer.

So 4.7 Tn Idc 3/13 nodes.

I started chemo on 6/15/2009. I was started with 12 weekly Taxol and when I complete this I will be doing FEC. That will be administered once every three weeks for 4 times.

That is the won I am nervous about. Taxol has not been THAT bad...I do at times have a metal taste in mouth....But thank GOD no mouth sores. There is a girl that I take chemo with who is on my regimen and she said she too has not had mouth sores.

Definately with Taxol I ache ALL over...Unhappy Although towards the end of the week I start to feel better....Then boom Monday comes and it is time to get more Taxol....lol

May God Bless Us All,

Diane

Edited by diane1234 - Aug 14 2009 at 8:53am
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 9:03am
Thanks Diane!  I do not know what FEC is.  I did the toxic combo A/C 1st, then 12 weeks of taxol, then I will have rad. but I have not even talked to Radiologist yet.  Honestly, I don't really understand when we check to make sure it's gone. . . .Onc said we will check before I start but i just wasn't getting what she was saying.  Not sure if I am have a scan again or mamo to get markers??  I stopped in my reg. Dr. to see if she can figure out what is next/going on.  i'm not a stupid person, just really confused!
I wish you all the BEST!

Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
diane1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diane1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 9:37am
Judy,

I know this is all so confusing. I did scans prior to my surgery which was 5/21/2009. I will start rads after the FEC combo. I asked my Oncologist what we do after Radiation. She said we will scan every six months. So I assumed that meant that 6 months after chemo we would do the scans.

Did you have any lymph nodes removed? I see you had a lumpectomy but I dont know if they do node removal during that.

My cancer was in my left breast. So the lymph nodes they took was in left arm. The last couple of days that left arm has been sore. I hope it is just Taxol making me hurt and not what they call Lymphodema.

Wishing us all years of health......

Love,

Diane
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2009 at 10:33am
Right breast, lymph nodes on right, one had cancer
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
diane1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diane1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 1:28pm
Judy,

Did #10 of my 12 taxol today....FEEL like crud....but doable....I hope things are well for you.....Waiting for tomorrow for the soreness to begin. We are on this trail....and hope we someday can move past it....

LOTS OF LOVE
MAY GOD BLESS US ALL

Diane
dx 4/09 at 36 yrs old. dbl Mast. 5/09. 12 weekly Taxol 4 FAC tri weekly. 32 rads completed 2/2010. Its Back 5/2010!! Chest wall, Mediastinal node, Lft mammary node and liver. Back on chemo.
SagePatientAdvocates View Drop Down
Senior Advisor
Senior Advisor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SagePatientAdvocates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 2:31pm
Dear Judy,

My daughter HATED TAXOL. The two good things about it were that it hopefully killed her TNBC cells and that it ended...

while she was going through it (two months) it seemed like an eternity...it really caused her a lot of grief...extreme joint pain, achiness, extreme fatigue etc.

but she is now 5 years NED...and perhaps part of that was due to the TAXOL.

when they say today's chemos are poison they are not kidding..

good luck to you...

sending you +++++ vibrations and my prayers...

all the best,

Steve
I am a BRCA1+ grandson, son and father of women affected by breast/oc-my daughter inherited mutation from me, and at 36, was dx 2004 TNBC I am a volunteer patient advocate with SAGE Patient Advocates
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 3:44pm
Hi Steve,
Thank you so much!
#2 tomorrow...YUCK.
Joint pain, muscle aches, acid reflux now, (not sure if this is a part of it)
not fun stuff!
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
SusanE1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SusanE1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 5:01pm
Hi Judy,
I just finished six months of Taxol and Avastin...three weeks on and one week off.  Taxol each time and Avastin every other time.  It's hard to tell which drug caused which side effects, but I didn't have any nausea or muscle aches and pains.  I did have some mouth soreness, but my dr. prescribed an oncology mouthwash which helped a lot.  I also have neuropathy in my feet and my nails have separated from my finger and toes about half way back the nail.  Both of these symptoms appeared about half way through treatment.  I had some stomach pain too, but Prilosec took care of that for the most part. I found the day after chemo to be a high energy day.  I think that was due to the steroids.  The next two days I felt somewhat shakey and unwell, but I was usually OK for the next thee days.  I'm stage IV with mets to liver, but my scans in late April and early Aug. were both NED!
Good luck to you,
Susan
Susan 62 1987 Stage 1   1/09 Stage IV bilat. mast. liver mets BRCA1+ Taxol & Avastin
8/09 NED
12/09 liver mets Taxol/Avastin
4/10 liver mets
11/22 Parp Car/gem
parp failed
2/2011 Ixempra
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2009 at 5:58pm
Susan, Good luck to you too!!
Thank you,
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
Loricarol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loricarol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 10:08am
Judy

Hi i just started Taxol like you last week was my first one 8/12/2009. It is hard to wrap my head around 11 more treatments. I have had persistent shortness of breath with Taxol and my heart beating too fast. My body aches arent too bad otherwise yet. But i'm more wiped out on Taxol than i was on A/C. My finger nails and toe nails feel sore too. Had severe nausea first 3 days.
Lets keep in touch since we have begun this at the same time maybe we can help each other.

Thanks Lori
DX 4/30/2009 IDC, stage 1 ,grade 3,2 tumors,node negative,clear margins ,BRCA negative left breast mastetcomy, 4 cycles of Adramycin and Cytoxan 12 weekly treatments of Taxol start 8/12. No rads.
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 10:31am
Hi Lori,
sorry about the nails!!  I don't have that had a little nausea last night, didn't eat dinner. (chemo on tuesdays) Had energy this am...from the steriods decadron...but now am tired, and the body aches will start tomorrow.  I have also started this acid refux thing fun!  (and non related i have an inner ear infection that just popped up!)  It's harder than the A/C for me as well.  Onc dr said I would sail through  this...wrong!  I will have rad after this but I don't know how long yet.. we should stay in touch, good idea. thanks!!
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
Loricarol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loricarol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 10:49am
Judy

Yes lets do keep in touch. Let me know your symptoms and changes and i will try and do the same. I have been pretty much in bed. Have you suffered at all from fast heart rate or shortness of breath? We both got A/C and the doctors told us Taxol much easier its just not true. I have considered stopping but dont want to loose out on the possibility that Taxol might save my life. I get my second one friday this week. I will post and let you know how it went.
God Bless You!
Lori
DX 4/30/2009 IDC, stage 1 ,grade 3,2 tumors,node negative,clear margins ,BRCA negative left breast mastetcomy, 4 cycles of Adramycin and Cytoxan 12 weekly treatments of Taxol start 8/12. No rads.
MsBliss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsBliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 10:50am
Steve, what do the initials at the end of the treatment by line mean?
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 11:23am
Hi Lori,
do you think the fast heart and shortness of breath is from the steriods, are you taking any?
I am on a 5 night before, 5 morning of and then more when i am there. for 2 weeks, then next week i go down to 4 for 2 weeks and so on.  Are they giving you benedryl with taxol ?  you might ask if you can take that, or ask for something to calm it down, but you do want to stay on the taxol as is the best for what we have. i wouldn't wait till friday if you are still feeling this way, if you aren't then make sure you tell dr when you are there.
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
Loricarol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loricarol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 12:32pm
Judy

I have been off the streoids for 5 days now. My heart rate worries me as to possible early side effects from A/C Adriamycin although my ECHO looked great my rate reamins 100-125. Double what i was pre chemo. My shortness of breath is either realted to the fast rate or a side effect of Taxol. I have read on here of several women who have felt shortness of breath on Taxol. I will take the same regimen as you tomorrow evening of steroids. And they give Benedryl in infusion room. THANK YOU for encouraging me to stay with the Taxol i have heard its the best for TNBC but needed to hear that news again. I had entertained stopping. But of course im willing tio tolerate any side effect if it means i will live through this cancer. Werid your were diagnosed 4/24 thats the day i found mine on my own and i was diagnosed 4/30 officially. I had mastectomy and i guess will have no rads because of that.
Thanks Again Judy
Lori
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 1:25pm
Lori, well I'll be thinking about you!  and ask for something maybe adivant or a mild tranq. to help through that.
I had lump removed in 1st surgery, then i went back for lumpectomy, surgeon felt that mast, was not needed as we got clear margins, even with that size of a lump that I had. pretty big!
let me know what happens, and yes it is strange that we were diagnosed around the same time.  If you don't mind me asking where do you live, you can send private if you like.  I am in so cal.
Judy
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
Loricarol View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loricarol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 1:48pm
Judy
I lived in the OC for 9 years and was born raised California girl till 3 years ago. My husbands job transferred us to Salt Lake City area. I have been getting my treatment here at the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Thanks for your prayers and i too will pray for you.
Lori
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2009 at 1:54pm
Well I know all will go well. Just keep a postive outlook.  I started a online blog and it really helps to get everything out. easier for me to type than write. You might try it if you aren't already :)
check mine out..it's on google and is free 
take care and thanks!!!
Judy
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
Judy g View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judy g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2009 at 7:13am
Diane,
Just checking how you doing?
Judy
dx 4/09
lumpectomy 4/24 4.5cm
node positive; stage 2
A/C, Taxol, Radiation
WBR, October 10 (x15)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic