FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sleeping Problems After Treatment?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleeping Problems After Treatment?
    Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 10:59am
Is anyone having problems with sleeping since they've been diagnosed and completed their treatments?

I am having a horrible time, used Tamazepam for quite awhile but it isn't working anymore.  Then the leg things and tender bone aches in the middle of the night from laying or one hip and then the other.  I give up, jump out of bed and it is only 2 or 3 in the morning.  I can't fall asleep before probably 1 when I am lucky.
Sometimes my legs get a creepy feeling about them and do get restless.

Any suggestions?  What have been your problems if any and how did you handle it?

Thanks,
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 11:41am

Dear Pam,

Neuropathy (which you have), and sometimes the discontinuing temazepam will give that withdrawal effect in the body (creepy restless feeling in legs).

Ask the doctor if he would prescrible amitriptyline...amitriptyline works as a sleep aid, tricyclic antidepressant and is used in chronic pain successfully. You could start off at a dose of 10 mg and titrate up to quite a high amount if it is effective. It is an inexpensive drug that works really well.

Just a thought,

Connie
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 2:15pm
Hi Connie thank you,

You are so kind to reply and now that I read your post I can remember it seems we have talked about this before, thank you so much once again.Embarrassed  This chemo brain of mine.  Maybe I should write it done? Done.

I have used amitrptyline in the past, I may consider trying it again.  I have an appointment coming up for med refills this week and will mention it.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 6:17pm

Pam,

I think my sleeping problems are coming mostly from the chemopause, hot flashes... throw the blankets off, cold..pull up the blankets.......repeat.......and in general can`t get comfy.

We use amitriptyline (sp?) for cats and dogs @ my work. Makes them sleepy for long trips and helps with the anxiety of fireworks, etc. I actually didn`t know it was a "people" rx. LOL 

I hope you get some relief and good sleep!

Terri
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
Stage 1 Grade 1-2, 1.35 cm
2 nodes neg, Lumpectomy 10/07
Chemo: FEC 100 x 6, 35 rads
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 7:41pm
Insomnia and breast cancer seem to go together, at least for most people.  My insomnia predates BC, lucky me, but I do have a great strategy to combat it.  I'm on a low dose of an anti-depressant called Remeron, which is GREAT for sleep (between 3.5 and 7mg/night).  It's non-addictive, unlike benzodiazapines like Lorazepam and Ativan, and doesn't mess with cognition or memory once you get used to it. 

If your sleep doesn't get better on its own, you might try giving it a go.

Love,
Denise
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:09am
Terri boy do I know the blankets on/ off scenerio!  Isn't that the pits!

I think the reason I get warm is because I take a couple of meds at night before I lay down which seem to give me a warm rush or two before settling down.

Cute and wise story about the meds and animals.  I wish I had known that one with some of the cat trips I have experienced!Shocked  But then that was before the nice carriers they have now which are the best.

Thank you!

Edited by trip2 - Mar 24 2009 at 6:12am
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:18am
Denise thank you so much for your suggestion, I have started a list.Wink

There is no way I could sleep on my own or atleast I don't think so at this point.  I too have struggled with this for years.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Jessie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:28am

Hey there, all you sleepy heads!  Sleepy  I can't tell you how often during the day I wish I could take a nap -- I'm sleepy all the time.  Don't know if it's the BP/heart meds I take, not sleeping well at night, or lazyiness, but one of the reasons I look forward to the weekends is being able to take naps ! 

Usually what keeps me from getting to sleep has been restless legs.  And sometimes the pills I take to make me sleep seem to make the restless legs worst.   Well ladies, I found something over the counter during the weekend that I think may be helping !!  The med is named "Restful Legs" and I found it at CVS with the sleeping meds.  It's one that you put under your tongue.  Two nights since I got it, I've noticed the creepiness  coming on and I put one of these pills under my tongue --- both times the restlessness stopped pretty quickly !

Anyone try this ?

Jessie

IDC,Stage I,Grade 3,dx 4/06
dbl mast 5/06,
systemic MRSA post surgery
septic shock, heart attack
triple bypass 1/07
no chemo due to infections and heart issues
so far NED!
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:41am
I have not but will, thanks Jessie!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
cg--- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cg--- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:59am

Remeron has been connected to several adverse reactions. The Federal Government's Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee has received dozens of reports concerning serious blood and bone marrow abnormalities. Remeron has been linked to liver problems and hallucinations.

Remeron is usually given at starting dose of 15 mg titrated up to 30 mg and sometimes up to 45 mg  I have never seen it prescribed at 3.5 mg, 7.5 is the lowest dose.  Imovane (zopiclone) is prescribed at low doses like 5 mg.

Given the fact we have done the chemotherapy and at the best of times our blood counts, and bone marrow is compromised along with our liver filtration - I would be very careful with Remeron.

Just a thought,

Connie

trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 7:26am
Thanks Connie, I will gladly take the information and mark this one off my list.  More problems w/meds I do not need, it is risky with most of them probably and that is why so many go natural.  On the other hand natural and I don't work well together.
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
billie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 7:37am
Good morning ladies,
          This free wireless that I am on that belongs to someone else has finally let me on to use it.
          Anyway,just wanted to let you wonderful and beautiful ladies know that my sisters hip replacement went wonderful and however let me strongly reccommend that if any one that you should know that needs a hip replacement,search for an orthopedic surgeon that does the anterior hip replacement.(This means comeing in the front of the hip.)Coming in the front they do not have to cut any muscles.
         My sister is just doing wonderful and I stronly believe that in 2 weeks I will be able to go back home.My only problem there is that this will mean that it is time for her to be alone in the evenings without her hubby that passed away the beginning of march.But as I am constanly reminding her,this too will pass.I am sure that she will get back in her church strongly ,she loves to sing in the choir.And I will call her every evening on the wonderful invention of the cell phone.Neither of us are into the text messaging.I believe that that would make me too nervous.
        When it is time for my knee surgeries she jokeing said that she is going to be gone to Australia at that time.That would be okay with me just knowing that she is up and going strong.
         Any way I also wanted to chime in here and say too,that my sister as long as I can remember ,also had had a sleeping problem.She has had to use benadryl at night  in order to get to sleep in the past other sleeping aids.Now me, I fell in our mothers footsteps.I can go to sleep at the drop of a hat.Anytime that I get still.
        Just thought that was interesting about the sleeping habits of BC ladies.This might be an interesting question to ask the ladies.And is this after chemo or did these sleeping habits  take place prior to your BC diagnosis.
        Just wanted also ,to let you sweet and wonderful ladies to know that I have not gone far.Much Much hugs to all of you and much LOVE to all of you.   Billie
Billie posting for sis Betty/67/caucasion female/diagnosed 2-27-08/gradeIII/7mm/invasive ductal carcinoma/T N /clear margins/node neg/4 X's taxotere-cytoxan/36 rads/7-08 PET/CT double image/no cancer
HairSprayMom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairSprayMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 8:31am
Hey Pam,

I am one year post chemo and I still have problems sleeping. I am up til 12 or later every night and then hot and cold...waking up all the darned time. I changed my diet, cut out caffine(except for my 1 cup of coffee in the AM) and nothing is working. The Doc put me on effexor and I am not really sure it is doing anything either. I am immune to Tylenol PM...HAHA and I usually take a .5 Xanax and a muscle relaxer b-4 bed, but that only gives about 2 good hrs of sleep before the flashes begin. I am going to try the effexor for a couple of weeks and I will let you know if I have any success with it. If not I am going to switch to Bellergal, maybe it will help. Also thought about asking for a sleeping pill. Hate to do it, but I did not want to take an AD either, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Love and Hugs!

Regina
39 yr old. DX Metaplastic Carcenoma/Triple Negative IIIb 9-26-07, bilat mod rad MX 10-1-07, 2.7cm in Chest Wall. Dense dose Chemo 11/07-03/08 AC/Tax. NED 4-09 YEA! Deconstructed 12-13-10 & Happy!
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 11:16am
Regina you are so right.  If we don't sleep well we get run down.
We are trying to do the opposite, build up some energy.Smile

I hope the Effexor works for you, I have not tried that one either. 

I wonder if we were to ask our Oncologist if they had alot of complaints regarding getting a good night's rest what their answer would be?  Course they don't like to own up to lingering side effects.

I have always been stressy and do lay off most caffine but think this blocks me from relaxing.  Once I settle in then my mind starts going all over the place.  I'm a worrier as many of us are.

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 11:19am
Billie, it is so good to hear from you!

That is wonderful Betty is doing so well, thanks for the report.
Don't you forget being her caregiver to get your rest also!!

Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
kmartin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 1:15pm
I too suffer from sleep issues...never was a good sleeper and now the "creepy"  feelings in my legs, hot flashes, cold flashes all make it worse.

I had my thyroid levels checked this winter and found my dose of Levoxyl was way too high, after chemo. I have noticed a lessening of the hot flashes since lowering my Levoxyl dose, twice (under the care of my internist).

I have used Ativan in the evening when my legs are really jumpy, and just mentioned to my onc. that I also have a "buzzing" feeling. I am guessing this is the beginning of some neuropathy. May need to try the amitriptyline, since it could address the two issues ~ creepy legs and sleep, and may also elevate by mood! Tongue

Kathy

Found Lump, 2/8/08
Bx IDC, Stage 2, Grade 3, TN
Lumpectomy, axillary node dissection 3/11/08
4/33 positive nodes
TAC x 4, AC x 1
RT x 33-finished 10/14/08
BRCA 1 & 2 Negative
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 3:19pm
Hi Kathy,

Interesting post and sorry to see you too are going thru the no sleep and creepy legs.

Getting a good night's sleep would definitely elevate my mood!
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
Terri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 6:55pm
Hi Billie,

So nice to hear from you! You bring up an interesting point about sleep and BC. I have had sleeping issues for many years, long before BC. As Pam stated, my mind doesn`t turn off and I find myself thinking about everything when I should be falling asleep. I have always been a night owl and get my best sleep in the morning when I`m able to sleep late. That worked out well when I worked nights in the restaurant field but not in the last 5 years working days. When I DO sleep, I always have nightmares. All my worries follow me into my dreams.

Sorry for babbling.....you just got me thinking...Geek

Terri
IDC DX 8/17/07 (age 41)
Stage 1 Grade 1-2, 1.35 cm
2 nodes neg, Lumpectomy 10/07
Chemo: FEC 100 x 6, 35 rads
BRCA 1/2 NEG
PET/CT & Brain CT Nov 09
Brain MRI Aug 2012 NED
dmwolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2009 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by cg--- cg--- wrote:

Remeron has been connected to several adverse reactions. The Federal Government's Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee has received dozens of reports concerning serious blood and bone marrow abnormalities. Remeron has been linked to liver problems and hallucinations.

Remeron is usually given at starting dose of 15 mg titrated up to 30 mg and sometimes up to 45 mg  I have never seen it prescribed at 3.5 mg, 7.5 is the lowest dose.  Imovane (zopiclone) is prescribed at low doses like 5 mg.

Given the fact we have done the chemotherapy and at the best of times our blood counts, and bone marrow is compromised along with our liver filtration - I would be very careful with Remeron.

Just a thought,

Connie

Oh my gosh, Connie, I had no idea!!  I've been on this low dose of Remeron for YEARS, since I had post-partum insomnia after the birth of my second child (now 8).  The lowest dose in pill form is 15mg, so I've been either cutting them in half or quarters, depending on whether I'm taking 7.5mg or 3.75mg.  Blood disorders?  Liver?  Ack!  Well, my blood work is normal, and I'm sleeping, so I might just let it be.  But what you say is alarming.  I wonder if these effects are very rare.  Did you get a sense?

Thanks,
Denise (Remeron head)
DX 2/08@43 stg II IDC; gr2,0 nodes. Neoadj chemo, first ACx2 (fail) then CarboTaxotereX6(better). Lump, Rads done 11/08; Clodronate. False alarm queen: PetCT lung & TM marker. NED. PBM w/recon 9/10.
trip2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trip2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2009 at 7:08am
Terri I hear ya on those bad dreams.Confused
Stage 2 2003
Stage 1 2007
BRCA 1+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic