FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taxol versus AC??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Suzanne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 01 2009 at 10:21pm
Hi!  I just wanted to throw in my two cents here.  I had  AC dose dense then switched to Taxol dose dense.  I thought it was easier to get through the Taxol, and I continued to teach school throughout my treatments.  I experienced some bone pain and had low cell counts, but it all was manageable.  During AC, I had a horrible metal taste in my mouth the whole time.  During Taxol, the taste switched to a more pleasant sourness. Everyone is different, but I hope this helps.

Happy New Year!
Suzanne
1/2/07 IDC, stage 1 (T1c), 1.56cm, lumpectomy 1/8/07, triple neg., grade 3, sentinel lymph node biopsy negative, BRCA 1/2 negative; 4 AC/4 Taxol dose dense, 30 rads 2/07-7/07
yjennings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yjennings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2009 at 6:06pm
Hi

I had 4 rounds of AC and I had my second Taxol today.  Taxol has been easier than AC.  I had a few achy days and one itchy day and a little constipation but overall not too bad.  Because of my lack of appetite, I've lost some weight almost 20 pounds since my diagnosis.  I am drinking V8 Fusion (not the tomato drink) and Fuze which both taste really good and have a lot of vitamins and nutrients.  All my blood work has been really good.  I do take Neupogen shots after each treatment.    Good luck with your treatments.
38 yrs old dx 10/08
1.2 cm, Stage 1, Grade 3, IDC
neg node, lumpectomy
AC x 4
Taxol X 4 did 3 of 4 (canx last treatment due to neuropathy)
Radiation: 35
Doxia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doxia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 12:33am
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is travelling well with treatments/surgery/dx or simply enjoying life!
I, too, am from Australia and have done AC & Taxol in 2008.
I hated Censored(and this is tame LOL) AC with a passion, we just didn't get along, I had a horrid experience- especially emotionaly.
I had 12 weekly Taxol infusions, and for me it was way easier. I did suffer with side effects especially half way through my treament. I had back and leg pain, especially towards the evening (bizzare....) during the day it was not too bad, I literally could not move & felt like a 100 yr old woman, my nails blackened but none fell off, lost my eyelashes and eyebrows and was nauseas- no vomiting but survived with Maxalon tabs, this was mostly after my 5th infusion.
The good news was- I could return to work (part time) this was a lifesaver as I wasn't coping emotionally at home and my hair (head) started growing.
Good luck and I hope Taxol is kind to youHug
Cheers
Doxia Thumbs%20Up

Hugs
Doxia
Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Primary Ca) & 2.5cm(Lymph Node)
Bi Lateral Mastectomy with expanders & Axcillary clearance 1/17+,Triple Neg.Tx 4 cycles AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol(28/7/0
Doxia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doxia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 12:42am
Thumbs%20Down Oh forgot....suffered with hot flushes as well.....unfortunately this is still the case.
Hugs
Doxia
Dx 27.12.07,Gr 3, IDC Lt breast 1cm (Primary Ca) & 2.5cm(Lymph Node)
Bi Lateral Mastectomy with expanders & Axcillary clearance 1/17+,Triple Neg.Tx 4 cycles AC chemo,12 wkly Taxol(28/7/0
Cherseybear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherseybear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 1:21pm
Hi Laura,

I finished the same regime that your on in early December.  For me, I'd say I had more adverse side effects with the Taxol.  Sorry.  I'm only passing this along in case you experience the same symptoms.

After the first infusion, I broke out in a red, hot, itchy rash.  Breezed through the actual infusion and was fine for a couple of days.  Then boom.  The rash/redness first appeard on my butt and then my whole body got hot and itchy. Really itchy!  Lasted right through to the second treatment after which it subsided.  I had a complete allergic reaction but not till 48 hours after the infusion.  The docs didn't want to blame the Taxol but after I was tested for every disease known to man and had a skin biopsy they relented and agreed that my body didn't like the Taxol.  I did eventually get some cream and some oral medication that helped somewhat but I think my body eventually  just adjusted to the Taxol.

After the second infusion, the rash was pretty much gone at this point,  I got the worst sciatica pain imaginable.  I was in bed for 72 hours and ended up having to take oxycodeine (sp?) a narcotic for the pain.  Again, nobody wanted to blame the Taxol, including me (I just wanted to finish up the treatment at this point) but after an MRI showed no problems with my spine,  we had to chalk it up to the Taxol being very toxic for my body.

I got through the AC fairly well.  The usual stuff people talk about but nothing too serious.  I expected the Taxol to be a piece of cake but it turned out my body really didn't like. 

I hope you'e like the majority and not like me, but at least if you experience either of the two side effects above you'll know you're not alone.

Good Luck!

Cheryl
Dx. 03/07/08 - Masectomy & node dissection 22/07/08. IDC, 8/14 positive nodes, Grade 3/Stage 3C. Tx - 4DD AC then 4DD Taxol. Avastin - Beatrice Study. 30 Rads. Liver Mets - November '09.
ziggy0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ziggy0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2009 at 4:21pm
Hi, ladies.  Since the discussion is 'Taxol versus A-C' I will repeat what I've said in other places and hope that I'm not boring anybody too badly.  I think that, when possible (and in Cheryl's case with stage 3C it would not have been possible), neoadjuvant therapy--treating the tumor with chemotherapy before surgery--is something to consider because such treatment allows you to see whether or not the tumor is responding, by shrinking.  For unknown reasons the treatment doesn't always work, even when the tumor has never been exposed to that chemotherapeutic agent. 

In my case, the 2-cm tumor was responding very well to A-C x4 (no longer palpable) but my oncologist wanted to eradicate it with Taxol, which was planned for 12 planned weekly sessions.  During my third Taxol infusion I felt a hard lump where the tumor had been.  The next week my oncologist was out and his physician's assistant had me have another Taxol infusion, but in addition she ordered an ultrasound, which confirmed the tumor recurrence.  By then we were up against the holidays and it took a couple more weeks before I began another regimen, still neoadjuvantly.  And this one is working. 

Now that we know the tumor is responsive to this new regimen we will schedule surgery and, after some time for healing, will complete the remaining four cycles of gemcitabine/carboplatin therapy. 

For what it's worth, ladies, when you have a choice it might be good to make sure your therapy is working.  Why neoadjuvant therapy is not done more often is a mystery to me.

--jackie

Edited by ziggy0 - Jan 08 2009 at 4:22pm
Dx IDC 8/08/2008
TNBC stg 2 grd 3
T1c N1 M0, Ki67 97%
Neoadjuvant A-C, Taxol (failed), gemzar/carboplatin
Lumpectomy 1/09, completed G/C 4/24/09
0/6 nodes positive
Radiation 5 wks
Carli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2009 at 7:38pm
I am having some challenges with Taxol. My weekly blood count was not great so we moved it to every 2 weeks. I am getting the neuopathy which has sharp pains. I also have achey all over pains which my PA calls "Taxol Flu," and has put me on steroids. Has anyone experienced this?
Also,  my Onc vetoed curcumin  because he says it would be counter productive as an antioxident.
With 2 more doses to go, I am starting to think about the uninsured recovery options needed to get the poison out. Does any one have suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Carli - Jan 15 2009 at 7:41pm
krisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2009 at 5:20am
Carli.
I had a neulasta shot after Taxol...many oncologists don't feel that giving that shot is necessary with Taxol, but, we are all different and I learned the hard way that I was one who needed the shot while on Taxol.
Exercise has been the biggest aid to my recovery, especially walking.  I go to an acupuncturist, LMT, PT, naturopath, have hydrotherapy, listen to my hypnosis tapes for health and healing...eat whole foods, avoid excess fat and sugar and alcohol.
Recoveing from breast cancer is a full time job!
Heart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic