FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone taken Anti-nausea med Akynzeo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leahstuffle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahstuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone taken Anti-nausea med Akynzeo?
    Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 12:13pm
I was allowed zofran off the bat, but I never found it necessary, the Sustol was so successful for me that I never had nausea during AC. Also I think the biggest problem with both would be constipation. Sustol was approved only a few years ago!! It was a major relief with very few restrictions.
I will say I could not take phenergan. It gave me unbelievable restless leg syndrome. It is often paired with the Sustol at my onc practice.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 05 2019 at 10:06am
Thanks Leah, Sustol is another newer one I've not heard of! The same family of drugs it appears, a 5-HT7 receptor antagonist drug, extended release for acute and delayed nausea. But in a sub-q injection not pill, taken with the same steroids 30-60 minutes prior to infusion. But Leah, you say you WERE taking Zofran as well immediately following your treatment? Did you? The way the pharmacist explained it to us with Akynzeo was that since it was a powerful drug working on your brain for 3 days, if you took another drug in the same family like Zofran it would be too much and give you a monster headache. She had chemo at like 4:15 Tuesday, the only thing she was allowed to take Wed.-Thur. was more steroids and phenegren. Today she can have Zofran if she wants. Which I'm pretty sure she will, she's been nauseated since a few hours after her treatment. It has kept her from actually throwing up so far so it does work in that way. The question for her is going to be, would straight Zofran without Akynzeo work better? If Sustol allows Zofran from day one, is that worth a try? I'm guessing the pharmacist will say the same thing about Sustol and Zofran - the headache thing. 
P!ease clarify Leah, did you take Zofran right away? Headache? Thanks! 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Leahstuffle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahstuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2019 at 12:02am
This sounds fancy and crazy. 
I took Sustol, which is an expensive Injection. It prevented nausea for five whole days!! The patient advocate got the manufacturer to pay whatever my insurance didn't pick up. It's worth asking about since you had a lot of discomfort.
It also made me woozy. I was allowed to take Zofran or other nausea meds. It was worth the financial effort for me.

Edited by Leahstuffle - Jul 04 2019 at 12:07am
Monarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2019 at 12:08pm
I had my first chemo A/C treatment yesterday and wanted Zofran IV and a counterpart.  Old school stuff that works.  They convinced me to take the Akynzeo.  I tried it.  

If you are taking it, beware....They run each pill separately to charge the highest charge, so I would have to pay four different copays of $150 each per my insurance (UHC).  I told them they needed to credit those pills and write a script for 4 pills (30 day supply). Then make them go to www.Akynzeo.com and pull off a provider $50.00 coupon.  It will bring it down to $100.00 for the 4 pills (if you have commercial insurance, keeping in mind that pay tiers vary among policies).

This is considered non-formulary because it is new (within 3 years).  There is no generic currently on the market.  It is supposed to be a combo of Aloxi and another drug that works on the gut receptors.  I took this with 12 mg of Decadron at (3:15 pm) and it was fun.  You will have to wait one hour after you take the combo to start your chemo.  

The experience I had with the drug is your head will start feeling full and your ears will seem like they are underwater.  The sensation gets worse, as the time goes on.  I was light headed when getting up for the restroom.  I made the mistake of eating something about 6:30 p.m (just three hours from having the meds).  Half way through my dinner, I was already breaking through with diarrhea and nausea.  My salivary glands were on hyper mode throughout the night, preparing for vomiting to pursue.  I never threw up. So, I was stuck in with the feeling you feel, right before you throw up, all night long. 

*My biggest note to anyone who considers this drug.  Once you take it, it will take you being able to take Zofran off the table for several days.  So, I struggled through with phenergan, which does nothing for me except make me drunk, nauseated and with diarrhea.  I will post how the effects might continue for the next week.  Good luck and listen to your gut!

Monarch

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2019 at 11:45pm
I'd love to hear about anyones experience with it.
Newer drug you take one hour before A.C. Infusion with dexamethadone. Then that's it,  for five days it's supposed to have you covered. It's palonosetron (Aloxi) plus netupitant in one capsule. Texas oncology (a giant for profit oncology group in Texas) charges $1000 a pill. www.akynzeo.com 
The pharmacist said they're no longer prescribing Emend pills. That's 3 pills, taken the first 3 days after chemo. She said it's proven to not work beyond the 3 days. It was $800 for the 3 pill dose 3 years ago when I took it. 
These drug prices Censored
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic