FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just Finished Chemo and Looking Ahead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JenHammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just Finished Chemo and Looking Ahead
    Posted: Jan 11 2019 at 12:17pm
Hello! I was diagnosed with TNBC (Left breast, Stage IIB) on May 31 of this year and have been watching these forums since I found the site in August. Everyone on here is so positive; I can't thank you all enough for making this journey a little easier - even being a watcher and not an active participant. So finally I am saying hi. 

I started chemo on July 5 and just finished up yesterday (4 AC and 12 Taxol with Carbo mixed in every three weeks) and from my last ultrasound in November know that I have a partial response. Hey, I'll take that - at least there was response. I'm planning a double mastectomy next month as "the girls" are super dense and this diagnosis was made thanks to my annual mammogram. Obviously I can't be trusted to know my own boobs well enough! LOL. (I've been getting mammys since I was 35. 49 now so A LOT of life left to live!) 

My medical oncologist has already talked to me about the option of taking Xeloda after surgery and possibly getting into a trial as well. I've read the threads and reports regarding Xeloda and, at this moment, I don't know if my cancer is basal or non-basal. Ultimately I am willing to do whatever I can to try and keep this sucker at bay.

My tumor was bi lobed and one part seems to have responded better than the other so after surgery they are going to test what is remaining to make sure there isn't some bit of positive receptors hanging out in there. My medical oncologist said it is rare but it does at times happen. I am all about the checking! 

Again, I can't say how much this site has meant to me and I am thankful for all of you and your words of encouragement to those of us new to the forum.

I'm sure I'll be back in here, now that I've made the leap into saying hi, bugging you all for advice, suggestions, etc.

In a nutshell - HI!
IDC, 3.1 cm, Stage IIb, ACx4 (finished 9/6/18), Carbo/Taxol weekly for 12 weeks (finished 1/10/19), surgery to follow, and then radiation
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2019 at 12:42pm
Hi Jen,

So glad this forum has been a help to you.  I've always thought this is a group of the most wonderful people helping each other.  Your dx was the same age I was.  I had dense breasts and my ob/gyn started mammograms when I was in my late 20's.  He was concerned about the density.  It's how we detected my bc at age 49.  I was blown away when I got the call back.  Definitely be proactive post surgery and look into all choices available to you.  You have to be your best advocate.  Let us know what the path report finds.  Wishing you the best!

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

TKTK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TKTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 12:00am
I started my 4 AC and 4 Taxol treatments every two weeks starting September and just finished last week. Have a double mastectomy scheduled next month.

My doctors seem to think that based off of the results from the surgery, I may not even need radiation, and they certainly have not talked about continued chemo treatment like Xeloda or clinical trials... Now I'm concerned whether they aren't being combative enough.

Thanks for sharing your plan. I'll follow up with my doctor to ask...

Wish you all the best!!!
DX 8/27/2018 TN, ki67=72%, 3 nodules lumped together measuring 5cm, 0/1 nodes, AC & Taxol 4 rounds each, RAD51D+, 2/11/2019 BMX with no reconstruction, PCR
Lisa s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lisa s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2019 at 12:34am
Talk to your doctors.  Possibly they r waiting for surgery to see if you have a pathological complete response to treatment? If so no more chemo should be needed. i  believe xelod a is usually added after surgery if cancer still exists.  Donna can probably confirm this?
TKTK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TKTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2019 at 9:52pm
Doctor mentioned that if my surgery shows that I have cancer remaining, I would be going on some kind of pill-based chemo based on results from a Japanese study. It looks like that is Xeloda. (I didn't catch the name when he mentioned it, and thought he said something else, but it looks like it is Xeloda)

However, found what appears to be two conflicting studies on Xeloda

This is from 2015 where they see Xeloda improving survival rates for HER2 negative including TNBC patients

This is from Dec '18 indicating that Xeloda not effective after ACT treatment in TNBC with the exception of non-basal types

I don't know whether my cancer was basal or non-basal, but this will be on my list of questions if I don't achieve PCR after my surgery.

Edited by TKTK - Jan 17 2019 at 9:52pm
DX 8/27/2018 TN, ki67=72%, 3 nodules lumped together measuring 5cm, 0/1 nodes, AC & Taxol 4 rounds each, RAD51D+, 2/11/2019 BMX with no reconstruction, PCR
JenHammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2019 at 12:20pm
Thanks so much, Donna. I definitely agree that we are our own best advocates. :D Tuesday is a day full of MRI, mammogram, and ultrasound fun. At least at the point I'll know what we are working with heading into surgery.

Jen
IDC, 3.1 cm, Stage IIb, ACx4 (finished 9/6/18), Carbo/Taxol weekly for 12 weeks (finished 1/10/19), surgery to follow, and then radiation
JenHammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2019 at 12:23pm
Thanks, TKTK! It sounds like you had a really good response to the AC/Taxol treatments. I started in July with AC and saw some response but not 100% and knew before then that we would be moving from AC to Carbo/Taxol. My doctor is giving me these options since I didn't have a 100% response rate. I am just glad that these other options exist. I will do whatever it takes!

I just saw your after visit post. I did see the same studies and have asked my oncologist if mine is basal or non-basal. She didn't have that right in front of her and is to get back to me. Ultimately even if it is basal I will still consider all options. 

Thanks for following up! The more information we can all share, the better off we are and other women in the future.

Good luck with everything!

Edited by JenHammer - Jan 24 2019 at 12:27pm
JenHammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2019 at 12:25pm
Hi, Lisa. That is exactly what they are thinking. It is nice to know in advance that this is a possibility vs being blind-sided with it after surgery. Thanks to much for your post!

Be well!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic