FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cold caps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cmacaluso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cmacaluso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold caps
    Posted: Dec 27 2018 at 8:35am
A/C Taxol chemotherapy and Penguin cold caps.
Has anyone used cold caps during this chemo regimen and have success? I have heard of several success stories with the cold caps, eliminating hair loss, however my Dr just told me he has yet to see it work with this particular TNBC chemotherapy plan.
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2018 at 11:06am
In all my years here I've not heard a true success story avoiding hair loss on AC-T. At the end of my first two weeks after my first A.C. My hair was falling out in chunks. I went for the head shave the day after treatment 2, it was a relief to get rid of it at that point. By the end of that regime I had zero hair anywhere - nary a nose hair or eyebrow. I did enjoy the months of not shaving! And it all grew back very fast both times. Thicker than ever. I did have great success both times I did Taxol avoiding neuropathy in my hands and feet using ice baths. Neuropathy from taxanes can be painful, debilitating and permanent so it's very much worth a try IMO. 
I know the thought of being bald is scary, but many people find the reality of it to be NBD. I did! This last time I never put on a wig and only rarely put on a scarf. It was liberating - and one less thing to deal with :-) 
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Leahstuffle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leahstuffle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2018 at 9:09pm
I also went totally bald, and enjoyed it more than I expected! It was nice because everyone always made eye contact with me. I wore hats when it was cold, but otherwise enjoyed the sun on my head. My hair started growing back during taxol, but my eyebrows and eyelashes not so much. I have a couple of taxol treatments left, but I've had no issues with neuropathy. My doctors did ask me to heavily supplement B6 to prevent the neuropathy, and I started it while still taking AC.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic