FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chemo and low white blood cells question???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lisajo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisajo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chemo and low white blood cells question???
    Posted: Sep 05 2018 at 9:39am
My sister has Triple negative breast cancer and her white blood cells are at 2. Her Oncologist told her that they may have to stop chemo until it gets back up. How low does you count have to be before they stop the chemo?
Sister of a Tripple Negative Fighter
Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2018 at 10:19am
Hi, I do not understand the number "2" in this context.

When I was on chemo, the number they paid the most attention to related to neutrophils.  When mine was 435/mm3, they delayed the chemo for a week.  The normal range is 1500 - 7500, anything below 1000 being considered dangerously low in the absence of other factors such as chemo dosage being too high, etc.

Sometimes, whilst the count is low, I would be invited to return the following day and have the blood test in the hospital.  I was amazed that the neutrophil count could go up by thousands overnight!!!

I still have all my blood test results so if you want to come back with a bit more information, maybe I can help you with some explanations.  In any event, I wish your sister good luck.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2018 at 1:45pm
If you get Nupogen injections they should not have to stop. At one time my WHC was at .7 - that is point 7. After the Nupogen (Granix) I was good to go. When I was doing A/C I had Nulasta each time. Once was supplemented with Nupogen. With Taxol/Carbo I had 3 injections, one a day, beginning 24 hours after infusion. I did have three transfusions and one platelet transfusion. Never missed an infusion appointment.
Lisajo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisajo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2018 at 1:59pm
She is taking zarixo. She had her labs done today and she is a .7.
Sister of a Tripple Negative Fighter
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2018 at 12:06pm
Plume,

I believe the number 2 would actually be 2,000.  It's usually reported in the U.S. as mcL

This is the normal range from the Mayo Clinic Guidelines:

White blood cell count

3.5-10.5 billion cells/L
(3,500 to 10,500 cells/mcL)

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Plume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2018 at 1:33pm
Thanks for explaining that to me, Donna.  I am finding many differences in medical terms and so on.  I think that us here, across Europe, have more standardised treatment and medication though even here, there are differences across countries and even hospitals.

Luckily, I have an excellent medical team here in South Western France to look after me.  I do believe that were I still in the UK, the outlook for me might have been considerably less sunny.

Thank you for all the sterling information you have been providing for all of us here on the forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic