FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stopping treatment early?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KML View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KML Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stopping treatment early?
    Posted: Jul 28 2018 at 3:04pm
I was diagnosed in April 2018 with stage 2b tnbc. I finished 12 rounds of taxol/carboplatin and 1 a/c. A/C was ridiculously hard. That was two weeks ago and I just had a blood transfusion yesterday. Very anemic. I am just sitting here thinking how much can my body take? Trying to keep positive , but really wondering if all I have done is enough already. Do they ever stop treatment early? Has anyone not tolerated a/c and they just cancel the rest and move on to surgery?

Edited by KML - Jul 28 2018 at 3:14pm
Bfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2018 at 11:07pm
Hang in!!!!!!!!! I am supporting a friend with TNBC- but I received Taxol/carbo for ovarian cancer in 2006. My chemo was every three weeks and around session 5, i had to get a blood transfusion too. They had me doing blood tests weekly-even on non-chemo weeks and all of a sudden, a nurse called me at home and said I needed to get to the hospital ASAP for a blood transfusion- and not to panic, BUT they considered it life threatening. The crazy thing was I was actually feeling pretty good that day and had just sent my mom on a well-deserved weekend "OFF" from me!  Hey, it's 2018 and I made it thru stage 3c ovarian- just like you are going to make it thru this little bump in the road! See if there is a dietitian you can email or call about helping you pump  up much needed nutrients right now. If possible- stay home and stay away from the public. The last thing you need is even a simple summer cold right now. Don't hesitate to call your church or even a local church and ask for dinner delivery if you need to get meals for your family. I was lucky that I was single and I stayed home the entire nine months. Your body needs rest and some peace right now- I am serious let everything else go right now- you can fix it later. I would call social security and see if you can go on disability while you fighting TNBC. That is why we have it! Try and keep stress to a minimum. You will be in my prayers tonight.
Sunny70s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny70s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2018 at 9:38pm
I'm considering quitting too. I was great first 3 days.

Then sat am the nausea, cramps, constant pooping small amounts. REALLY bad for 5 days. Have master list of gassy foods can't eat now. Not much left can.

I have diverticulitis which was partially responsible for an infection in 2016 that landed me in hospital for week. I kept telling oncologist that but she ignored it. 

This could lead to a serious intestinal infection if not careful, as has happened to others, some needing surgery.

This on top of the fact BOTH times I saw her she said it would only be 4 sessions over 8 weeks, but infusion day nurse said it would be 8 sessions over 16 weeks! Called her assistant who acted like I was a dummy who got it wrong.

Have bloodwork Monday and tuesday SUPPOSED to do new round of chemo. Will have it out with her.

Do I really want to go through 20 plus weeks of hell, end up partially disabled, perhaps just to prolong my life an extra year or two? (Give my age and other conditions, not optimistic.) Lots of triple negative women go through whole thing, and still don't live much longer.

I think I'd rather have the energy to get my complicated affairs in order. And find a nice place to spend a few months til it gets bad enough I can get assisted suicide in my state.   (I'm strong believer in reincarnation so passing on to next phase is no spiritual problem for me.)

On the other hand I AM going to look for some clinical trials of some interesting more targeted new drugs I've read about and see if I can find an honest practitioner.  I don't know why they think lying to patients is of any benefit.

DX/7/11/18 IDC, Right, 3.3 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 18 nodes, Er-/PR-/HER2- Had surgery; Five of 8 chemo sessions done then quit. Probably will do radiation.
Sunny70s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny70s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2018 at 6:16pm
To update my rant above. I have a feeling that the powers that be in the oncology dept may have commanded more treatment than onco originally proposed. Before second chemo, I asked her why she first proposed only 4 sessions and her answer was almost robot rote telling me what she now was ordering.   So I'll see how far I got with it.

Meanwhile, I did realize I was eating too much gassy and acidity food.  I also started doing a lot of Kefir (drinkable less sweet yougurty drink) which I think helped a lot.  So if cramps aren't too bad this session, I'll be in a better mood.

Taking it one day at a time!!
DX/7/11/18 IDC, Right, 3.3 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 18 nodes, Er-/PR-/HER2- Had surgery; Five of 8 chemo sessions done then quit. Probably will do radiation.
Elisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2018 at 12:43pm
I had a horrific time on EC, but got through it. It was the T that I had a reaction to, so we decided to do one more AC and go directly to surgery. I had a double with immediate reconstruction. Three weeks after I started Xeloda because my remaining tumor was 60% active. No lymph involvement. Xeloda was ok the first two rounds, but has now started to really mess with me. I still want to finish, but it’s a struggle.
Sunny70s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny70s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2018 at 5:05pm
I get impression taxol will be worse.  Second round not as bad, since more careful with gassy and acidity foods. But IS more exhausting. We shall see... If I feel like it's killing me, I'm out of there!Ouch
Sunny70s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny70s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 10:10pm
The Third session was the topper.  Constant heart palpitations, dizziness and repeated  near-falling down, lots of urinary tract pain, continuing gastrointestinal problems and after I decided it really was too much, broke out with really bad "chemo rash" on my chest, shoulders, back and face. I'd already forewarned Onco I might quit if it became too much.  Now it's called building up my immune system, cutting out worst of acidity & toxic foods/ingredients, and doing the right supplements and alkaline foods, including lots of garlic. Continuing the fight in another way.

At my age (70s) chemo only increases average chances of more than 50% survival over 5 years by 10% or so. (Though individuals obviously differ widely.) So not worth, as one woman put it, ending up in the nursing home from side effects.  But younger women have better odds and must do their own calculations.  (All of above is not taking into account those who think chemo is shear poisoning, which after my experience I understand much better now!)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic