FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Travel post Taxol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TKTK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Travel post Taxol
    Posted: Jan 10 2019 at 11:28am
I know this conversation is already over, but for those who may be asking a similar question sharing my experience.

Had vacation planned before diagnosis, and MO kept encouraging me to keep my plans and make it our goal. So 9 days after my 3rd dose dense Taxol, I hopped on a long plane ride and back with multiple layovers (I was trying to save a few bucks when booking, but I think it worked out, because it broke up my trip). My husband researched and learned that the air on the plane is as clean as the hospital, but what you need to be careful are the seat handles and the trays, etc. So I did use a lot of anti-bacterial hand spray.

Crazy part is right after this plane trip, I had my last Taxol treatment and then 2 days later headed off on another car trip (again had this planned in advance of diagnosis but the hotel wouldn't let me cancel so while we headed out a day later than originally planned, we still went). Body aches came and I was tired often, so I did take things slowly and took a lot of naps in between. I didn't take part in activities the family was doing e.g., ice skating. I sat and watched them ;-) but because I was out of my room and my bed, it was easier to forget my illness and I also appreciate the opportunity to dissociate my room and bed as a place to be sick.

Because all of this traveling was towards the end of my chemo treatment, my white blood cell counts were really low (borderline of not being able to get chemo). That said, while my kids were coughing and getting ear infections etc. luckily I have been spared from it all. I thank all my friends who have been praying for me and sending me good thoughts.

The trips kind of let me, my family and even my friends around me forget that I'm a patient. But now I'm trying to get back to scaring? and encouraging myself to eat healthy and be active.

Everyone's body reacts differently and your body also reacts differently to each round, so it's very hard to predict. But know that it can be possible.

Edited by TKTK - Jan 10 2019 at 11:34am
DX 8/27/2018 TN, ki67=72%, 3 nodules lumped together measuring 5cm, 0/1 nodes, AC & Taxol 4 rounds each, RAD51D+, 2/11/2019 BMX with no reconstruction, PCR
mainsailset View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mainsailset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 7:30pm
Kelly makes an important point. By plane you'll be exposed to all kinds of bugs and your immune system/white blood count will be in repair mode. Also, who wants to have one more exposure to radiation going through security after spending months having scans?
dx 7/08 TN 14x6.5x5.5 cm tumor

3 Lymph nodes involved, Taxol/Sunitab+AC, 5/09 dbl masectomy, path 2mm tumor removed, lymphs all clear, RAD 32 finished 9/11/09. 9/28 CT clear 10/18/10 CT clear
Lucky22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 3:04pm
I went to Universal Studios in August between rounds of AC. It was planned and I wasn’t missing out. My doctor said it was fine, but to avoid water parks. We did drive. I had to rest a lot and the sun could be bothersome. I did most rides - had to get out of one line because of nausea. Overall, we had a really wonderful time. It’s so hard to predict how you’ll feel. At the end some people are just exhausted and drained and really need time to recover. Others are thrilled to be done and want to move on as quickly as possible. How long do you have to make a decision?
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 2:31pm
Your doctor will ok you sooner for car travel than plane travel, just FYI.
I did this same treatment the first time. I was hell bent on a trip to the beach between chemo and radiation. My doctors wanted me to start radiation 4-5 weeks after chemo ended. She said it would be silly to plan anything sooner than 3 weeks post chemo, car travel ONLY, she didn't really want me to fly at all during that time. It was all about my numbers, white count mostly, but red as well. I booked a beach house a 5 hour drive away, 4 weeks after the end of chemo for a week - with radiation starting the day after my return. My white count hit the OK for travel mark 3 weeks after my last chemo.
back in 2009 most of us did dose dense Taxol 4 treatments every 2 weeks. I did the once per week for 12 weeks when I had a recurrence. I saw no benefit from the second way, but everyone is different. Perhaps you could try the old way first? If you tolerate it well then your trip timing should be more attainable. Especially since Disney is all about the germy, unwashed crowds from around the world! It's worth a shot. That beach trip with my whole family was the BEST trip ever!
PS: treatment complications and delays are not uncommon, that's just a fact. If you can NOT plan a nonrefundable trip this close you'd be better off. I got lucky and found an individual with a beach rental whose mother had died from breast cancer - he refused to take a deposit from me and said no worries if I could not go. Gift from heaven! I would not have laid out $1000s of non refundable dollars for my trip during that time - I knew it would just add too much to my stress levels, and it made me superstitious to even think about doing it. But that's just me
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
LUmmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUmmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 2:26pm
For me, the Taxol was a lot less taxing than the A/C.  I think that you will be able to go.  I took a week off of chemo for a cruise that we planned long before cancer.  I had to rest a little extra but felt good enough to participate in nearly every activity.  That was after my 6th Taxol.  
Ecmnesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ecmnesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2018 at 2:06pm
Just diagnosed stage 3 last month. Finished first round of AC last week. Will have 3 more AC and then 12 Taxol. A year ago (obviously before diagnosis) , we had planned a Disney trip for the week after I happen to have my last Taxol in October. What are the chances that I will feel up to going on this vacation?

Edited by Ecmnesia - Jun 06 2018 at 2:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic