FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surgery: Wire, Tracer Dye and Port

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surgery: Wire, Tracer Dye and Port
    Posted: May 27 2018 at 3:56pm
Now that my chemo is complete, I am looking towards my June 8th surgery.  After much debate, it was decided I will have a wire assisted lumpectomy and a sentinel node biopsy.  I do not have a palpable mass and the surgeon said that is why the "wire" is being used.I would love to hear what experiences others have had with this.  I have read everything from "no biggie" to "worst pain ever".  I am assuming they will numb my breast first!

Then he said they will inject the tracer dye to find the sentinel nodes.  On my PET scan, a month before chemo, it showed 4 to  5 involved nodes.  They have never been palpable and my MRI 2 weeks ago showed no signs of lymph nodes.  Assuming he can find them, he will do a frozen section to see if there are any active cancer cells.  If no active cells are found we are done.  If there are active cells, or if he cannot find the sentinel nodes he said he would do a auxiliary lymph node dissection.  Now that totally sounds horrible.

After the surgery will be chest wall and arm pit radiation.

I also wondered how long people kept their port in?  Is there any reason to need it now that chemo is done.  My oncologist said I should leave it in "for a couple years in case I need it again".  I think not!  I do not need daily reminders of this fun experience!

I sure would appreciate any insight or information on any of these issues!

Thanks everyone!

Ann
Lisa s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 5:02pm
I was so stressed about wire placement and it was no big deal, just don't look down! Lol . My doc wanted to leave my port in but I chose to have it removed. If we need it again they can always put it in again! I did have to wait until after surgery and path report before they would remove it. Radiation was relatively easy just a pain to have to drive there every day. I hope this helps!
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 7:59pm
Thank Lisa!  Did you have any lymph node involvement?

Lisa s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2018 at 8:56pm
I did not. They did take out 2 nodes during lumpectomy which came back negative.
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 10:19am
I thought I would post my experience with the wire.  I was not prepared for the insertion of the wire (they have your breast compressed like a mammogram and then insert the wire).  It was painful and you need to hold still while they place it.  (sorry for this answer but I would rather have you prepared than not).  I do think I had someone relatively new who compressed my already injured breast down way to hard and when the radiologist came in he had her back the compression off big time.

The port, I had it removed immediately after my last chemo. I did not enjoy any of the port experience and as soon as able, I had it removed.  They take it out while you are awake and aware and numb the area completely.  I could always feel it in there and it is SO nice to sleep and not feel the port line at all.  

Good luck on your next procedures and I am hopeful you will post back that your wire insertion was easy!!!!!

Penny 
DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 2:10pm
Thanks Penny! I am going to ask them to numb my breast to insert the wire. I see no reason not to do that.
PAGIRL65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PAGIRL65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2018 at 3:56pm
I had the procedure done as well, although I didn't require a port. I have to agree with Penny ... it does hurt. They do numb the breast which helps. And I also have to mention something about the tracer dye.  My doc told me I would be peeing blue for awhile! And it is true! lol  
Good luck!
LUmmel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUmmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2018 at 10:59am
Had no problem with the wore insertion. Took half an Ativan and had them numb the area.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic