FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to eat to reduce recurrenc of TNBC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to eat to reduce recurrenc of TNBC
    Posted: May 08 2018 at 7:28pm
I am new to this forum and to the world of TNBC. I was diagnosed in January 2018, had a lumpectomy in February, started Chemo in March, and when finished will have a bilateral mastectomy. I found a wonderful website - foodsforcancer.com which gave me info on what to eat and what to avoid during Taxol treatment. Other parts of the website had info on recommended foods to eat or avoid to prevent recurrence of TNBC. I thought I was set to tackle this aspect of helping myself do battle but then in accessing the latest research I read the information about how mice given a diet low in asparagine and methionine (amino acids) dramatically reduced recurrence. Essentially I would need to eliminate dairy, beef, poultry, eggs, nuts, seeds, and whole grains for asparagine, plus not eat soy or beans in the case of methionine. Many of these foods I have been eating based on guidance from the foodsforcancer website and the Cancer Fighting Kitchen cookbook. Now I am wondering if my food choices have not helped me. I know I am not mouse but now I truly do not know what to put in my mouth. Fruits and vegetable for sure but what else can you have to eat? I am especially concerned about not having beans for protein.

Any advice would be appreciated. All I have been told by a nutritionist is that I am not a mouse and right now the foods I have been eating are fine according to the experts or until human studies can be fine. Not reassuring. Thanks in advance in any support you might be able to offer.
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 4:30am
Grancy, I tried to eat this way in the beginning. It was very difficult, and I lost a lot of weight very quickly. It's hard, especially during treatment, to adhere to such a rigorous eating plan. Talking to your onc and a nutritionist is a good way to go. I was trying to get protein from quinoa, then I read quinoa was high in one or the other. Good luck to you, and good job on being well-informed and proactive.
Grancy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grancy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 11:00am
Mama T, What do you eat now? What protein do you eat?
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 12:05pm
I don't do dairy or sugar. I eat free-range, organic eggs and fish. Occasional free-range red meat without antibiotics. Occasional beans. Lots of cruciferous veggies and tomatoes. Blueberries and apples. All organic produce at home. It's hard to adhere to this all the time. My onc at MDA said eat s balanced diet, and that the occasional cheeseburger or slice of pizza was ok.
parrynd1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parrynd1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 3:58pm
I would do some research into a Ketogenic diet in relation to TNBC. Many people use it for weight loss, but it has some significant research behind it as beneficial for people with cancer and more recently TNBC.
Dx 9/016 Age 28, 3c, Grade 3, 1/5 Nodes, BRCA -, KI-67 >90%, I-Spy 2, DD A/C, Lumpectomy w/ 3 nodes removed, TC, Rads
2/2018 recurrence + brain & lung mets, Craniotomy, SRS, IPI-549, Opdivo/Avastin
Libber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2018 at 10:56pm
Just saw this study using a KETO diet in combination with conventional chemo along with hyperbaric oxygen therapy to put stage IV in remission. Amazing to stumble on this. I recently started KETO to lose weight and better control blood surger. I have Type 1 diabetes. 38 yrs. perhaps this will help prevent my stage 1 TNBC returning. Have lost 10 lbs. BS is stable and in range all day. Now I am completely committed after reading this.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5589510/pdf/cureus-0009-00000001445.pdf
Warrior31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrior31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2018 at 8:42pm
I don't know that there are high quality studies that have shown that specific foods prevent recurrence of breast cancer in general, or of triple negative breast cancer. I would advise talking to an oncology nutritionist for some guidance, one who would have scanned and synthesized the literature for you. While looking at the scientific literature can be useful, I would also recommend double checking your sources (my opinion as a public health researcher!). This paper that you found is a case report, so it only describes the story of one patient (often the ones that doctors are surprised about) and so it wouldn't be seen as the highest quality evidence. Ultimately, I think you should eat what makes you happy - if you don't find it stressful to go on a specific diet that can be hard to maintain (I know I couldn't do it), go ahead!
Dx at 31 yrs-old 06/03/15; left IDC 1.6 cm; Chemo 28/04/15: 12 weekly Taxol then 4 AC; Lx with SNB 24/11/15; no PCR: 3 mm residual; 20 Rads 20/01-17/02/16. 8 cycles of Capecitabine started 04/01/16.
Prembid36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prembid36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 8:10am
Ladies i'm suer thankful to you for all of this information about hgh for sale. I will definitely show this to my wife as i know she would find it helpful. if there's anyone having any updates we would deeply appreciate!

Edited by Prembid36 - Dec 20 2018 at 4:27pm
Ewa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 11:58am
Hi,Smile I'm new to the forum, but an old patient (I've been fighting with TNBC since 2008Shocked). As you can imagine, I've gone through the topic of diet many times. In general I think: common sense first of all. I've tried strict diet at the beginning, but it was rather stressful (especially during the chemo, when few things are "tasty" and, e.g., you feel obliged to eat super healthy broccoli..... Thumbs Down) It seems to me stress is a dangerous cancer trigger... However, I tend to eat healthy food, i.e., not pre-processed. I cook myself and I buy "eco" products, I try to focus on locally grown fruit and vegs, instead of frying I bake. I always read labels, I also use eco-friendly detergents. And always double check any information.
I wish everyone to enjoy their diets; it is so important to take pleasure from your meals instead of approaching them as some kind of torture. And remember: everyone is different, perhaps we also have some other illnesses, just observe your body and take good care of it.
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 2:05am
I am a believe in the sensible "plant based diet" that is routinely recommended at cancer centers: lots of fruit and vegetables, beans, nuts, moderate amounts of lean protein, lowfat dairy and whole grains, olive oil as my main source of fat. Plenty of fodder for enjoying every meal. I allow myself treats of sweets and cheese 1-2 times a week and true indulgence once in a while.
PAGIRL65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGIRL65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 10:14am
Food choices these days are very difficult to say the least. What works for one person might not work for another. I've had stomach issues way before my BC diagnosis and they are still ongoing. Not having a gallbladder only adds to the problem. What works for me currently is also a mostly "plant based diet" similar to MEADOW'S as described in the above post. Because of my stomach issues, I can't tolerate broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and garlic which are really good for you.Unhappy

I also firmly believe that SUGAR is a cancer catalyst. I've eliminated it where I can. Once in awhile though, I will treat myself to ice cream or a piece of cake. It's all about choice and only you can find the BALANCE that works for you.
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 12:38pm
I have been working with a nutritionist that specializes in working with cancer patients.  Her advice is to eat as plant based as you can for a major part of your diet, but most of all be reasonable.  Eat organic.  Limit sugar and dairy.  She also suggests a good probiotic.  I take BioFloractiv 45 by BioCeuticals and also SulforaClear by Metagenics.  Also I take Buffered Vitamin C and Magnesium Citrate - all her suggestions.  You also want to be sure you are "regular" so a fiber supplement is a good idea.  I take Daily Fiber Cleanse by Gaia Herbs.  If you like veggie smoothies they are great!  Personally, I just cannot stomach them.  She is very insistent on organic and non GMO as many of the additives in foods are know to be a cancer risk.

The research on the role sugar plays in cancer can go in many different directions.  Some research says yes and some says no correlation.  If you do use sugar, us organic and non GMO.  Stevia is also great.

There is no reason to try and follow a diet that you hate, because it will not work.  Be as conscious as you can when you can and do not feel guilty if you splurge once in a while.  We all need that!

Of course, limit alcohol as that is a known factor to increase breast cancer.  I finish chemo on Friday and you can be sure I will have a glass of my favorite white wine, but only a small glass.  I haven't had any since New Year's Eve!

Be good too yourself - but be reasonable!

Ann
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2018 at 7:30pm
Personally I don't believe any food would reduce the recurrence risk for TNBC.  I ate so many cruciferous vegetables, I should never had TNBC.  My first onc had a great saying, "it's like trying to stop a steam roller with a thumb tack."  Instead, I try to eat healthy most of the time, follow the 80/20 rule.  Eat healthy foods, organic when you can, limit processed foods.  Look at the food labels.  If you don't know the ingredient, it's probably processed and may not be good for you.  Still life is too short!  Enjoy those special occassions!  Eat the cake, have a glass of wine, enjoy the ice cream. 

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Warriorkat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warriorkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2018 at 12:13pm
I’m in the midst of chemo - 5 more Taxol to go after having done 4 rounds of AC. I am working with a nutritionist who is also a LAc and herbalist. It’s tough during chemo but here’s his advice for the most part: eat organic only, mostly plants and high fiber whole organic grains (brown rice, oats, millet) Avoid wheat - though I still eat some sprouted organic bread at times. Look for protein in legumes, nuts, seeds, fatty wild caught fish, organic eggs and occasional meat is ok (grass fed, organic - what I call happy meat!) No processed meats (deli, sausages, pork) Always combine grains with vegetables or fruit. Filter water. No sugars or processed grains. He recommended fermented foods like miso, sauerkraut.

For now I’m off all caffeine (coffee esp) with the Taxol and off wine and any alcohol. He recommended a pre/probiotic, omega 3/6/9 supplements (my blood wrk showed I was low) and vitamins and minerals for me specifically including A, D, K, iodine, zinc, selenium. I’m also using a high quality whey powder and a turmeric powder. And certain herbs to support my liver.

He recommended no dairy...this one I’m not quite there with as I still eat some cheeses occasionally though only organic or without growth hormone.

My plan is to stick with a mostly plant based organic diet with fatty fish and eggs and occasional lean meat and whole grains. Sugars, alcohol, dairy, processed grains contribute to higher blood sugar levels and an acidic environment that cancer likes. I plan to have my occasional glass of wine and weekend coffee and to allow myself a pass a meal or two a week and on vacations. I’ve found if I’m trying to be too strict it stresses me out which doesn’t help build my immune system!

Funny thing is I’ve eaten mostly vegetarian “clean” and organic for many years now. The biggest piece for me is eliminating wheat and processed foods and dairy, wine and coffee. It really is about balance - decreasing acid producing foods and eating mostly alkaline supporting foods.
Gratefully,
Kat
kmascia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmascia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2018 at 11:20am

I'm reading all of these great responses.  I continue to agree with the general recommendations offered by the American Cancer Association and other academic oncology care providers.  They tend to focus on limited meats and fats and more vegetables.  You may have received this from your local provider.  My reasoning is that until we know more, it is important that our bodies have the building blocks needed to support a strong immune system.  I see where other ladies have discussed the importance of stress and recurrence.  Stress increases cortisol levels and decreases immune function, which may contribute to a reduced ability to fight any metastases if they happen to be present.  I was diagnosed with Stage 2b TNBC in 2015 and am also a physician.  I created a free site for TNBC survivors that is occasionally updated when I research a subject.  Here is one small blog post on fat:  https://www.tacklingtriplenegative.com/single-post/2017%2F31%2F3-Reducing-fat-has-a-huge-impact.  The research quality is limited due to the difficulty of studying peoples' diets.  However, a good diet is still a smart idea to keep us feeling good and to prevent diabetes and heart disease (for which we are all at increased risk due to the nature of our treatment).

Lorene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lorene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 01 2018 at 7:41pm
The American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) also recommends a plant-based diet, similar to the Mediterranean Diet, with a wide variety of vegetables & fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts & healthy fats like olive oil.  The reason for the plant-based diet is for reduction of inflammation for which cancer & heart disease both are known.  We now know inflammation is a cause of many imbalances in our body.  There's also a well-known Dr. Weil known for his Anti-Inflammatory Diet.  And I can honestly say there are so many good, healthy foods to choose, I never crave a junk food.  I've experimented with finding healthy, tasty foods that there aren't enough hours in the day to include them all, e.g. I drink a small 3-oz glass of Kefir 2X/day, half unsweetened plain & half sweetened vanilla, to cut down on the sugar, getting fermented food & calcium at the same time.   That satisfies one of my sweet cravings.

Lorene
dx10/01@age59,IDC TNBC, St.IIB,Gr3,2.5cm,3+nodes, epirubicin,5FU,cytoxan,33Rads,No recurrence, 2018
kmascia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmascia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 7:08am
Thanks, Lorene. I always like to be reminded to stay on track! I have some additional information on my free website: www.tacklingtriolenegative.com. Please comment on my forum if you have an opportunity!

Edited by kmascia - Jun 02 2018 at 7:09am
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 10:36am
This is a good book to read if you get the chance:  Anticancer A New Way of Life by Dr. David Servan-Schreiber.

Dr. Weill's Anti-Imflammatory Diet and Food Pyramid

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warriorkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 10:45am
I had just added this book to my shopping cart online. Thanks for the recommendation: I will go ahead and order it!
Gratefully,
Kat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warriorkat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2018 at 10:46am
Thanks Kmascia for the link. Great helpful info!!

Edited by Warriorkat - Jun 02 2018 at 10:46am
Gratefully,
Kat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic