New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Study says surgery may cause breast cancer  spread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Study says surgery may cause breast cancer spread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study says surgery may cause breast cancer spread
    Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 7:56pm
I don't even know what to think about this....In regards to myself, I don't know if I'm safer in regards to this because I had a PCR, or in way more danger because of my complications that had my wound not heal for 9 months? I think I'll message my doctor just to see what she says.
And I guess take an anti-inflammatory during healing for sure!!
I hope this is clickable, I'm inept at this:click here
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 10:44pm
Kelly,

I saw this too!  Very interesting, even though it was based upon a small study, it makes sense.  Here's your article:

Healing process after breast cancer surgery may trigger cancer to spread, study says

Doctors have long wondered why breast cancer patients are more likely to see their cancer spread within the first 18 months after a lumpectomy or mastectomy.

A new study suggests the wound healing that follows surgery may trigger this spread.

As the immune system works to heal the surgical scar, it stops restraining cancer cells that have wandered far from the tumor site, according to the study published Wednesday in Science Translational Medicine. Without this brake, those cancer cells are free to grow and become new, more dangerous tumors.

“It's not the actual surgery, but instead, it's the post-surgical wound response,” said Robert Weinberg, the paper’s senior author and a biologist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “It is provoking already disseminated cells to begin to grow into clinically detectable metastases.”

The same study suggests there may be a simple solution: taking an anti-inflammatory drug.

A few days of anti-inflammatory therapy kept the immune brake engaged in mice and prevented spread, according to the study. Research in people hinted at the same benefit, although more studies are needed to confirm it.

Michael Retsky, an oncology researcher at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and University College London, said his own research in people isn’t definitive, but it has convinced him that the benefits are probably real.

In one small study, he showed that breast cancer patients who got the anti-inflammatory drug ketorolac for a few days around the time of surgery were five times less likely to have their cancer spread than people who didn’t get the prescription medication.

Sometimes surgeons don’t like to give anti-inflammatory medications during and after surgery because they can lead to bleeding problems — although those can largely be controlled, Retsky said.

Retsky hopes trials will begin soon in Nigeria to test the benefits of adding ketorolac, which is often used in lieu of opioid painkillers, to the surgical process.

That such drugs "might have an effect on cancer or cancer spread mediated on its effect on immune cells is very intriguing,” said Andrew Chan, a gastroenterologist who studies the relationship between cancer and aspirin,.

Chan’s own research suggests that, in general, aspirin provides more anti-cancer benefit than other drugs in the same category, called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDS. He’s not sure whether there would be any differences at the time of surgery. In animal models, he said, other NSAIDS seem to be more effective than aspirin at fighting cancer, but in people, aspirin seems to do better.

Studies are testing to see whether aspirin can cut down on cancer recurrence, but they are focused on long-term recurrence, not the first year after surgery, said Chan, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and a gastroenterologist at Massachusetts General Hospital, both in Boston.

Almost everyone who dies from breast cancer is killed not by the initial tumor but by its spread to other areas of the body, noted Weinberg, who is affiliated with the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research in Cambridge, Mass. He has spent the past several decades trying to understand how that spread occurs. The immune system’s control on spreading cells is just one mechanism, he said. He continues to search for and study others.

To close an open wound, the immune system must trigger cells to move to new locations and divide and blood vessels to grow, said Hanna Dillekås, an oncologist at Haukeland University Hospital and a researcher at the University of Bergen, both in Bergen, Norway. This is precisely what goes on when cancers spread, she said, so the new study makes perfect sense to her.

“The pieces fit really well together — what we see in humans and what they have demonstrated in mice,” Dillekås said.

Although the data are not definitive in people, Dillekås said that if she got cancer surgery, she’d ask for an anti-inflammatory drug.

"I would definitely go for it,” she said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/04/11/breast-cancer-surgery-healing-study/506525002/

DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Jan43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 10:44am
I saw this too.  Meeting for preop this week and going to ask about it. I wonder if turmeric, an antiinflammatory would be of benefit. ?
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2018 at 7:44pm
Hi Jan,

You might ask about the drug they mentioned in the study.

"In one small study, he showed that breast cancer patients who got the anti-inflammatory drug ketorolac for a few days around the time of surgery were five times less likely to have their cancer spread than people who didn’t get the prescription medication."
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2018 at 1:00am
I'm with Donna, get them to give you the study drug or a similar drug. If I'd read this before surgery I would have insisted on it.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Dcrandall1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcrandall1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2018 at 4:24am
Hi Jan. I just wanted to see what was the outcome on your inquiry with the surgeon? Was he or she aware of the study and/or possibility of the cancer spreading during healing? Did you get the Amit inflammatory medication for surgery?
Jan43 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jan43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2018 at 11:31am
Hi All, I did speak with my surgeon and to the 2nd Op surgeon at Hutch Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. Both were familiar with the study and both said that Celebrex was used as the anti inflammatory med. Both surgeons felt it was equal to any other anti inflammatories. Who knows? I am really frustrated with these studies as when you reach the final conclusion line they usually say "More study/info is needed"  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic