FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post surgery hair loss-anyone else have this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beth TNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth TNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post surgery hair loss-anyone else have this?
    Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 1:16pm
In all the TNBC literature I have seen, there was no mention of this timeline.
I had 12 weeks of Taxol, Carboplatin and atezolizumab (clinical trial) which ended on Feb.8. I lost all hair on my head and hair growth on legs and arms stopped. However my eyebrows, lashes and facial peach fuzz remained the same.
I had surgery, modified radical mastectomy on March 13. About 5 days ago I noticed my eyebrows were getting thin. Today my daughter looked at me and said Mom, you only have 2 hairs where your brows should be. Then added You don't have lashes either. But you have hair growing on your head, tiny fuzz just like a newborn baby.
So my question is, Has anyone else had facial hair loss start 5 weeks after chemo ended and coinciding with regrowth of scalp hair?

Thanks,
Beth TNBC
cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 5:57pm
Hi,

It did not happen to me but I am thinking 123Donna had this happen to her. Maybe not a delayed loss of all her hair but eyelashes and brows I am thinking. Although, it could have been Lillie or Mindy555. Oddly enough I never lost my hair on the 12 weekly Taxol. Not until I had a/c and never lost my lashes or brows. Everyone is different.
She will chime in I am sure.

Blair

Edited by cheeks - Mar 25 2018 at 6:16pm
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
darcyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 7:14pm
Beth,

My eyelashes and eyebrows were late to fall out. I do not remember the timeline but I know it was after I finished my chemo. The hair on my head grew back in thinner. My lower lashes are very spare, uppers short and not as thick as they were. My brows are also very thin. I believe the Taxol is the culprit. You are not alone. Everyone reacts differently.
I am getting pretty good at filling in my brows with powder and eyeliner pencil is my new best friend!!

Darcy
IDC with extensive squamous differentiation,1.5cm,stage 1,Grade 3,Ki-67 25%,TNBC
TX-TC q21 days x4, Neulasta x3,mastectomy 3/1/16. dx's 10/15 age56
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 7:27pm
Both times the rest of my brows and lashes fell out post chemo. This way you get fresh new ones that haven't been poisoned :p they should be shinier!
This time my formerly stick straight hair came back curly and has stayed curly! Thicker than ever, but solid ringlets. so weird....
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Penny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Penny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2018 at 10:08pm
I finished all my chemo and went "whew" I didn't lose my eyebrows and eyelashes, yay.  Then I started radiation, my hair started growing back on my head and then my eyebrows and eyelashes fell out.  So, it happened to me like you said.  

I am finished with treatment and my hair is coming back in.  Very thick and curly.  My eyebrows are taking a while and are thin but my eyelashes are back as well.  I continue to take biotin and that has really helped.  Plus my nails are much stronger than before. People continue to tell me that my hair looks stronger, healthier and thicker post "treatment"...  

Hang in there!! Penny

DX IDC, TNBC 12/7/16 (age 55), Stage 1a Grade 2, .6cm, 0/1 nodes, Lumpectomy & node dissection 12/22/16, BRCA1&2 negative 1/23/17 Chemo TC. Chemo completed 3/28/17. 30 RADs completed 6/6/17.

123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 9:47am
Beth,

Yes, my eyelashes were the last to go.  I seem to remember it was a couple of weeks after I finished chemo that they started falling out and finally I had one last lash.  A gentle tug and it was gone too.  They grew back, but my eyebrows never seemed to.  The hair that remained was very light and sparse.  Tired of drawing them on my face, this year I ended up trying microblading my eyebrows and I finally feel normal again.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

cheeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 12:27pm
Donna and Beth,

Glad my memory was not shot all to h*ll with my last chemo! I was pretty positive that i was remembering about you (Donna) and brow/eyelash delayed loss when i commented earlier on Beth’s question. Thank goodness you corroborated my memory!

Blair
Lump found 11/08
DX: 2/09 @52 TNBC
L. Mast. 3/26/09, SN-, BRCA-,
4.5 cm (post surgical)T2NOMO
Chemo: 4/09-10/09 Taxol x 12,
A/C x 4, No rad.No recon. NED 1/17. New Primary right breast TN, 2/2018.
Beth TNBC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth TNBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 2:24pm
Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I am in good company. I'm going to have my 15 y.o. granddaughter (the makeup diva) give me brow pencil lessons.    I can only hope for my hair to come back curly since I paid big bucks at the salon for Perms before my DX.

Beth
Kellyless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 8:15pm
I get so many compliments on the curls. But I went 54 years with straight hair so I'm quite at a loss on what to do with the mop on my head. I'm not really complaining, I'm grateful for everything these days, even the huge mess of curls on humid days.
IDC, 2.2 cm, Stage IIb,lumpectomy 1/30/09 ACx4,Tx4 36 rads
6/1/16 Local recurrence same breast, same spot 1.8cm Carb.4x every 3 wks, Taxol 12x once wk. Dbl Mast. PCR!! Reconstruction fail, NED!
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 1:18am
My eyebrows and eyelashes also fell out just as I'd finished treatment (I had A/C followed by Taxol), but very soon after new ones started growing in. My theory is that the eyebrows and eyelashes die earlyl on but stay stuck in the follicles during treatment. Then, when you finish treatment and the new ones start growing in, they push out the dead ones. Just my pet theory.
Designermutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Designermutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 8:50am
Hello, everyone I’m new,
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, had surgery then 6 rounds of taxotere,was not given the option of what kind of chemo said this was the best for me.i picked up litature tells about taxotere .it said I would lose my hair.,I lost it ever where.
Said it would start coming back even before I finished chemo but would by the time I finished my chemo,wrong it’s been a year since I finished chemo,still no hair.i now find no information available saying your hair will come back.i kept my little flyer saying it would.
Now I am seeing all these lawsuits against the drug company has anyone dealt with this? Designer
Designermutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Designermutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 8:52am
I’m on an iPad some words look stand but an iPad has a tendency to do that sorry.
Designer
123Donna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 123Donna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2018 at 10:22am
Designer,

I had Taxotere with Cytoxin in 2009.  I lost all my hair, but it did return after treatment ended.  Now my eyebrows are another story.  They never returned.

I've seen the commercials for the class action lawsuit on Taxotere so I'm assuming there are quite a few women like you that have suffered permanent hair loss.  I'm sorry this happened to you.

Donna
DX IDC TNBC 6/09 age 49, Stage 1,Grade 3, 1.5cm,0/5Nodes,KI-67 48%,BRCA-,6/09bi-mx, recon, T/C X4(9/09)
11/10 Recur IM node, Gem,Carb,Iniparib 12/10,MRI NED 2/11,IMRT Radsx40,CT NED11/13,MRI NED3/15

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic