FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tired of Doom and Gloom!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Asovey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asovey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tired of Doom and Gloom!
    Posted: Mar 22 2018 at 12:28pm
I just read a blog on the Breast Cancer Research Foundation's site.  It was talking about the new research on TNBC.  Throughout the article were the phrases "highly aggressive",  "metastasized", "survival rate"  etc.  Every time I read things like this, I get sad and depressed.  Tears in my eyes as I write this.  I am focused on being positive.  My mass has shrunk to the point I can no longer feel it and I only have nine Taxol/Carbo infusions to go.  I want to hear about all the survivors and success stories.  Other breast cancer articles do not display this doom and gloom.  I truly think that attitude and outlook play a part in cancer treatment success.  Come on researchers and doctors - a little more positive please!
Lisa s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lisa s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 22 2018 at 6:55pm
I just read the same thing! It is bad enough we have to worry about every ache and pain without thinking it is back. As my doc says "you can't believe everything you read". I would love to see the positive stories
MikeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2018 at 4:14pm
Fundraisers want doom and gloom. Good news doesn't sell. Speaking of doom and gloom my wife had her 6th month PET/CT scan and we're waiting for results. Her ER/PR+ turned triple negative about a year ago. She's been on Xeloda since with numerous mets to the spine. Last PET/CT showed most mets gone and the SUV greatly reduced on the remainder.
We have high hopes but with this stuff, you just don't know.
kirby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2018 at 8:22pm
Asovey and Lisa, 

There are threads on survivors. Search for them and I am sure you will be uplifted. If I were more computer adept, I'd find the links. 

I rarely come on anymore. Eventually so many of us "survivors" just move on. You'll see at my signature, that I had the tx of day....in 2001. Yes, 17 years ago at the age of 44. They did half the tx they give now. TN had not been named yet. There are plenty of positive stories. I oddly felt comforted [after the fact] that not as much was known so I didn't live thru as much doom and gloom. Do look up the threads on survivors. Many needed those stories to stay positive. 

Kirby
kirby

dx Feb. 2001. Age 44
Lumpectomy

2cm. no nodes stage 1 grade 3

4 rnds AC, 35 rads
Meadow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2018 at 1:26am
Last week marked eight years since the end of my cancer treatment. I am healthy and thriving. I know three other long term TNBC survivors. One just behind me, and two who have been survivors for many year more. Ignore the doom and gloom; there's plenty of reason for hope and optimism!
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2018 at 8:35pm
I realize I haven't been on here in about 4 yrs.   So....  I was dx stage IIB/IIIA in April 16 2009... that is almost 9 yrs ago...  I was given a 20% chance of seeing 2014... and here I am, still in remission/cured...  at one point in 2009 I was told by the covering oncologist that I was terminal as he thought scar tissue was skin mets.   I almost came home and blew my brains out... and yet here I am..   TNBC is agressive mine was the highest grade it could be... and yet... I am here. So don't let anybody tell you this is not curable... as Meadow said above (oh by the way that is my dogs name)...   and I are 8 and 9 years out... 

DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
MikeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2018 at 10:57pm
My wife and I recently talked with her oncologist about PET/CT scan results. No new spinal metastasis, however, a number of the metastasis she has have gotten larger and enhanced SUV (more activity). Oncologist cut PET/CT scan interval from 6 months to 3 and, depending on next scan, might drop Xeloda for some other treatment. 
Autumn10182001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Autumn10182001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2018 at 6:59am
Kirby,  forget that you were on here too...  I havent been on forever.. hope all is well.and that you had a great Easter

DX2/99 Stg I,ER+PR+ Chemo lumpectomy - Neg nodes,rads, tamox,femara. DX4/09, Stg IIB /III, TNBC IDC, Grade III, 2.5CM, mastectomy. 4AC DD,12 wkly taxol,BRAC1&2Neg, Right Mast 11/25/09
darcyd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 15 2018 at 3:12pm
Hi,

I am 2 years out. When I was diagnosed I did lots of research and did NOT like what I was finding. I am not a statistic. I am a person and we are all different. My chemo treatments were a party in my room. I brought movies and snacks. I did creative visualization. I pictured putting my tumor in a pretty gold box and tying it to a red balloon and letting it go. Keeping a positive frame of mind is paramount. I decided that no matter the outcome I was going to be at peace with it. This attitude helped so very much. Surround yourself with positive people and enjoy every day.

smile,
Darcy
IDC with extensive squamous differentiation,1.5cm,stage 1,Grade 3,Ki-67 25%,TNBC
TX-TC q21 days x4, Neulasta x3,mastectomy 3/1/16. dx's 10/15 age56
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic